The A-Team Fans!

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by Jeffrey »

Sharlto Copely, the South African actor who plays Murdock, is according to Dwight: 'brilliant beyond words'. Dwight has seen his screen test and he stated: that honestly, if Sharlto is given an opportunity to do what I saw in that test, "Murdock" will be better than ever!' Sharlto has been very kind to him on the set and Dwight must say that he has been treated very well.
Source is dwightschultz.nl - the official fansite.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#32 Post by Shermy »

I always thought Mel Gibson would've been a great Hannibal- assuming they had gone the "all-star cast" route that was rumored for years. He would've been ideally suited for the cigar-chomping, Bugs Bunny aspect of the character.

Jim Carrey was usually tipped as the obvious choice for Murdock, but I actually thought Owen Wilson would've been an interesting choice. Ironically, Sharlto Copely reminds me of Wilson- at least from what little I've seen of him in the film.

Anyway, this does look surprisingly good and seems to have a nice amount of buzz going for it. Unfortunately, if it ends up doing well, it will likely convince the studio to move forward with a Magnum P.I. film...but with a younger cast.

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#33 Post by Jeffrey »

The movie was nice. I've seen it yesterday.

There was a great deal of action and comedy, and the plot was OK. The one thing I didn't like, was that they putted the scenes with Dwight Schultz and Dirk Benedict behind the endcredits. I think it kind of disrepectfull.

After the very, very long endcredits (and lot people that are already gone) we get to the two very short scenes with Dwight and Dirk (in a total of plusminus 30sec).
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

Carmen
MPI

#34 Post by Carmen »

saw the movie last night, think it was pretty good - at least not as bad as they wrote it would be - No, that came out wrong... hmmm
the plot was kind of lame, but I did not expect something great, and most of the action scenes were somewhat over the top,but you don´t have to take that kind of stuff too serious so all in all 2 hours of goodtime
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#35 Post by Shermy »

I've recently been watching the first two seasons and am a little surprised by how well the show holds up. Yes, it's silly and the writing is by no means great, but the characters are so much fun it doesn't really matter.

I also watched the lone dvd extra- a brief interview with Stephen J. Cannell- that was included with the season five set. He gives a small shoutout to Bellisario and Magnum- crediting them for being the first show to portray Vietnam vets in a positive manner. (Cannell admits he made no conscious decision to do the same with the members of the A-Team. He was simply throwing out ideas to see what would stick...and actually wondered if the idea would end up hurting the show's chance for success!)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shermy wrote:I've recently been watching the first two seasons and am a little surprised by how well the show holds up. Yes, it's silly and the writing is by no means great, but the characters are so much fun it doesn't really matter.
Agreed. It's still a lot of fun. Feels like I'm hanging out with old friends.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by zebra3 »

I like Hannibal, he's my kinda guy. My favorite quote of his?

"Hey..you're a tough guy, let's see what you got." [takes punch from guy] "Not bad..." [decks guy and guy drops like a rock.]
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Seaver41 »

I watched a good number of the episodes back in the day, but I grew tired of the 'CHIPS' like car pile ups and Mr T throwing people in the air. Did anyone ever got shot or die? Too fluffy for me.

Styles Bitchley

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Seaver41 wrote:Did anyone ever get shot or die?
There was a general who died once. It was a big deal.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#40 Post by J.J. Walters »

Channel surfing the other night and I stumbled upon an A-Team rerun! It was Season One's "The Out-of-Towners". The A-Team goes to New York City to help some shopowners fight back against some ruthless extortionists. Yaphet Kotto, Albert Popwell and Robert Tessier were the bad guys. That's quite a trio! There was much brawling and gun shots. Murdock drove a trash truck through a wall and dumped trash in Kotto's crib! What 80's fun! It was very strange to watch it on TV again after all these years!

Having said that, the show (for me) doesn't hold up nearly as well as some other 80s shows. There were quite a few painfully bad/awkward moments and some eyebrow-raising dialog. Still, fun! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by zebra3 »

J.J. Walters wrote:Channel surfing the other night and I stumbled upon an A-Team rerun! It was Season One's "The Out-of-Towners". The A-Team goes to New York City to help some shopowners fight back against some ruthless extortionists. Yaphet Kotto, Albert Popwell and Robert Tessier were the bad guys. That's quite a trio! There was much brawling and gun shots. Murdock drove a trash truck through a wall and dumped trash in Kotto's crib! What 80's fun! It was very strange to watch it on TV again after all these years!

Having said that, the show (for me) doesn't hold up nearly as well as some other 80s shows. There were quite a few painfully bad/awkward moments and some eyebrow-raising dialog. Still, fun! :)
I think that as long as you take those moments with the knowledge that the shows intent is to be over the top, it's okay. In fact those moments make sense then. It's like when you watch "Crank." If attaching jumper cables to his nipples, or a defibrillator to his chest and saying "juice me" wasn't over the top I don't know what is.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#42 Post by Shermy »

J.J. Walters wrote:Yaphet Kotto, Albert Popwell and Robert Tessier were the bad guys. That's quite a trio!
Yeah, part of the fun is just watching the opening credits to see how many character actors will appear. There's a lot of Magnum (or rather, Universal) alumni that crops up quite often.

I initially planned to just cherry-pick a few episodes, but have now made my way through the first four seasons. It gets progressively sillier, and really only works because of the charm each actor brought to their role.

The aforementioned episode where a major character died onscreen is probably the closest it ever came to the kind of seriousness or quality writing Magnum routinely enjoyed. (Most of the time it was closer to the vibe of Budapestan birdmen and Carol Channing cameos! :lol: ) But as zebra said, if you can get past the living comic book tone, it's not a bad way to revisit that lighter side of 1980s primetime.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#43 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Shermy! Great to see you again! :)

Yeah, it sure was fun to see George Peppard, Dwight Shultz, Mr. T, and Dirk Benedict again! Those guys really made those characters fun to watch.

It's funny, I had just seen Dirk Benedict in a family movie (Alaska) with the family just a couple days before I stumbled upon this A-Team episode! Hadn't seen Dirk since, well, the 80s, and then I see him twice in the same week!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Face's Corvette is for sale! Must come with a rake in the trunk...and it ain't for leaves!

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/06/29/dus ... -corvette/

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

does any bad guy actually die in the movie? That show wore on me real fast, but I gave it a run due to Dirk Benedict of Starbuck fame. Peppard was brilliant. The banter was best, action poor. Every episode was predictable like CHiPs.............in A-Team it was a plan, some drama, then BA throws someone through the air, nobody gets hurt in any gun battle. Of course in CHiPS it was the weekly 20 car pile up where cars vaulted each other as if ramps were attached to hoods and bumpers.