Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

bransonch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by bransonch »

Did anyone notice that one of the other characters--I can't recall which one--was wearing a watch like the MPI red and blue Rolex? It was prominent for a moment on screen, then the image cut to Jesse looking at his own watch....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I thought this was the worst of the series. It was just boring and seemed like it was all wrapped up in the last 30 seconds. Apparently, CBS has said they won't do anymore Jesse Stones and TS & company are shopping it to cable.

RamblerReb
Commander

The watch.

#13 Post by RamblerReb »

I caught it. Jesse's watch is a Rolex GMT with the Pepsi bezel. Yet another Magnum nod.

However, the watch in the movie is stumping me. The watch has the Pepsi bezel, but the number font (not sure if that's the technical term) on said bezel is the new style (slightly elongated horizontally or "squashed" looking). The 116710 (the current production model of the GMT) is the only one with this font, but it does not come with the Pepsi Bezel! Could this be a one-off custom by Rolex for Selleck (like the 308 Ferrari made for him with the raised roofline)?

Any watch guys on the forum who could shed some light on this?

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt

#14 Post by steveadl »

The watch was worn by Hastie. Too quick for me to work out whether it was a Rolex or not, but the Pepsi Bezel would have to be a nod to Magunm, too big a coincidence not to be.

RamblerReb
Commander

#15 Post by RamblerReb »

steveadl wrote:The watch was worn by Hastie. Too quick for me to work out whether it was a Rolex or not, but the Pepsi Bezel would have to be a nod to Magunm, too big a coincidence not to be.
I have to differ; I paused the video to ID the watch and it was clearly on Selleck's wrist, though, if I recall correctly, it cut straight from Rubinek looking at HIS watch, so I can see where it could be confusing.

Since the Rolex GMT was a central plot point of Selleck's personal favorite episode of MPI, I agree coincidence is unlikely.

I still don't know why it has the new font, though, unless it is a custom job.

Here's a video showing the difference between the old and new GMT (no Pepsi bezel), and the difference in the font is obvious, as well as the green GMT hand on the new watch (Selleck's has the old red GMT hand):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehmPbiALNA
I know how this looks, but I can explain!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by steveadl »

Ah I stand corrected. Makes even more sense on Jesse's wrist.