Innocents Lost

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sophia
Fleet Admiral

Innocents Lost

#1 Post by sophia »

Innocents Lost will air on CBS Sunday, May 22, Finally!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Finally!

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Looking forward to it!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

I hope it starts with the outcome of Jesse's Board hearing. I would love to see who is on his side and who isn't..............

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#5 Post by Agatha »

Thanks, Sophia!! That gives me plenty of time to find someone who will let me sit in front of their TV!!

Yipeeeeee!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by sophia »

Agatha, hope you find someone to watch Jesse with. You still have time. :wink:

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by rasgards »

Love him sitting there with a straight face watching The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Bom Bom Bom bom!

Ras G
Ras G

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

rasgards wrote:Love him sitting there with a straight face watching The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Bom Bom Bom bom!

Ras G
I agree, it was an interesting choice on TS's part to have him watching a movie paying homage to Higgins/John Hillerman. I'm going to have to watch the entire movie again as I was furiously flipping between it, The Celebrity Apprentice (hey, I am a John Rich fan) and the Bulls-Heat game. From what I saw it seemed even more dour than the other Jesse Stone's. It also drove me crazy that now, almost all of the characters were uttering....."I will", "I did"," I am", "I was". TS needs to write better dialogue for the incredible supporting cast...............

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

Personally, I found it darker, drearier (do they LOOK for rainy days to film???), slower, and more depressing than any of the others. A couple of good lines, but writing was weak -- just way too much "down time" -- the entire story could have been told in one hour. And what was the point of the "friends with benefits" scene????

The one positive thing I noticed was it seemed that TS had lost a little weight and looked initially more like his "Magnum weight" so in a few scenes he looked more like the TS we know and love -- jogging suit in the opening, for example, and a couple of other times I can't specifically point out right now. Several head movements seemed to be "Magnum-esque."

Of course, now in "Blue Bloods" his weight is back up. But if he knew how much better (and YOUNGER!) he looks (at least to me!) with the weight off, maybe he'd try to keep it under control a little better. No real "career/professional" reason to do so, since he seems to be well employed right now. But, darn, when he could look so much better -- he hasn't gained THAT much weight -- a little effort would produce a great reward (again, IMO).

I too liked the River Kwai Bridge movie salute and the other one -- can't name it to save my soul right now! -- though I thought "Stalag 17" might have been another "salute" to stick in there, but not necessarily appropriate to the plot line of Jesse's depression, though I didn't note that the other was particularly on point either . . . .

Whatever . . . . I watched it but can't really recommend it, unless you are simply a diehard TS fan. I thought Stephen McHattie looked as though he's dying of AIDS. The new police chief is SO egregiously bad, he's a joke. Does anyone else sort of want a slow romance for Jesse and Rose? Of course, there probably won't be any more JS movies now that BB is running. But, and I hate to say it, that absence won't be much of a loss if last night's movie was indicative of future storylines . . . .

Don't shoot me -- JMO!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by zebra3 »

I haven't seen any of the Stone movies before this one. I thought that Selleck carried it well, but it ended sort of abruptly, like it was just a chapter in a story. The beginning, I can tell he's been forced to retire, the middle I can tell he has a drinking problem and divorce and all, and the ending was the ending. But it was so non-descript, and -SPOILERS- highlight why did they show him having the bad guy tied up, he lets him go, and the guy just comes after him. Only they didn't establish that he was the ultimate bad guy.
I just feel like there were a lot of loose ends.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Lily »

I too, found this last movie not only darker, drearier etc., but very depressing. Perhaps this was supposed to be, to portray Jesse at more or less rock bottom. Given the horrendous amount of commercials slotted in this side of the border, at times it also seemed long (finishing at midnight) and at times, disjointed.

Being the utimate Tom Selleck fan, I will watch whatever future JS movies come along but think the storylines have to get better. TS said he would do the Blue Blood TV series but not if it compromised future Jesse Stone movies, so hopefully there will be more. My thoughts are that given changes, it would make a wonderful hour long weekly series.

Yes Golf, I too would like to see Jesse get together with Rose but its the younger women who seem to catch his eye at the moment. Just love Reggie the dog, how loyal is he?!

Oh, even this Canadian had to question if they get that much rain in Nova Scotia where its filmed! I dont think so and rain just adds to the utterly depressing state JS finds himself in.

Will be interesting to read others comments on Innocents Lost.

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by DarCA »

This Jesse Stone was way too dark and dreary - even Reggie looked depressed. And the short sentences from the cast - why? The writing was poor, the story line poor, sorry TS!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

golfmobile wrote:Personally, I found it darker, drearier (do they LOOK for rainy days to film???), slower, and more depressing than any of the others. A couple of good lines, but writing was weak -- just way too much "down time" -- the entire story could have been told in one hour. And what was the point of the "friends with benefits" scene????

The one positive thing I noticed was it seemed that TS had lost a little weight and looked initially more like his "Magnum weight" so in a few scenes he looked more like the TS we know and love -- jogging suit in the opening, for example, and a couple of other times I can't specifically point out right now. Several head movements seemed to be "Magnum-esque."

Of course, now in "Blue Bloods" his weight is back up. But if he knew how much better (and YOUNGER!) he looks (at least to me!) with the weight off, maybe he'd try to keep it under control a little better. No real "career/professional" reason to do so, since he seems to be well employed right now. But, darn, when he could look so much better -- he hasn't gained THAT much weight -- a little effort would produce a great reward (again, IMO).
Of course, there probably won't be any more JS movies now that BB is running. But, and I hate to say it, that absence won't be much of a loss if last night's movie was indicative of future storylines . . . .

Don't shoot me -- JMO!!

golf
Great review, Golf. Like I said, when I have some free time this week I am going to watch it from beginning to end. I got the impression that the jogging scene in the beginning was a body double. Tom Selleck has a very distinctive style when he runs, and walks for that matter. He is very light on his feet and almost glides at both as I was watching the jogger in the opening trying to decide if it was Jesse or not, I came to the conclusion when they revealed it was, that they used a stunt double. I read that it won the ratings Sunday night which is incredible considering he was going against Trump, a music awards show and THE BULLS. TS did state on Regis and Kelly last week that he was on his way up to Halifax to film number 8 during his B.Bloods hiatus................

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Well, I have to agree that it was the darkest one of the series so far. But I thought there were a ton of Magnum references, the best being the jogging along the shore (different ocean, but still Magnum-like and when Stephen McHattie said "you used to jog" I cracked up!). The Bridge on the River Kwai was a nice touch, too. I'm pretty sure I saw the Rolex in the flashback scene when he is visiting the girl at the rehab center. When he hugged her and stroked her hair the watch was peeking out from beneath his sleeve. But the KING of all Magnum references has to be it ended with him shooting a Russian!!

As for the short sentence dialog, aren't the books the same way? I've only read part of one because I really couldn't get in to it without TS, but I seem to remember the short sentences. Maybe if Tom narrated the books on tape I would like them better. His voice can make anything interesting.

eeyore
Admiral

Next Jesse Stone movie

#15 Post by eeyore »

Tom was on Rachel Ray this past week and he announced he is getting reading to film the next Jesse Stone movie while Blue Bloods is on hiatus. I think it is titled Benefit of the Doubt.
I agree that the filming of these movies is very dark and dreary, and that the writing is a little overdone with the short terse phrases. Also agree about a body double jogging in the opening scene. It occurred to me right away--I did not think this was him.