Innocents Lost

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Lily »

I too, found this last movie not only darker, drearier etc., but very depressing. Perhaps this was supposed to be, to portray Jesse at more or less rock bottom. Given the horrendous amount of commercials slotted in this side of the border, at times it also seemed long (finishing at midnight) and at times, disjointed.

Being the utimate Tom Selleck fan, I will watch whatever future JS movies come along but think the storylines have to get better. TS said he would do the Blue Blood TV series but not if it compromised future Jesse Stone movies, so hopefully there will be more. My thoughts are that given changes, it would make a wonderful hour long weekly series.

Yes Golf, I too would like to see Jesse get together with Rose but its the younger women who seem to catch his eye at the moment. Just love Reggie the dog, how loyal is he?!

Oh, even this Canadian had to question if they get that much rain in Nova Scotia where its filmed! I dont think so and rain just adds to the utterly depressing state JS finds himself in.

Will be interesting to read others comments on Innocents Lost.

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by DarCA »

This Jesse Stone was way too dark and dreary - even Reggie looked depressed. And the short sentences from the cast - why? The writing was poor, the story line poor, sorry TS!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

golfmobile wrote:Personally, I found it darker, drearier (do they LOOK for rainy days to film???), slower, and more depressing than any of the others. A couple of good lines, but writing was weak -- just way too much "down time" -- the entire story could have been told in one hour. And what was the point of the "friends with benefits" scene????

The one positive thing I noticed was it seemed that TS had lost a little weight and looked initially more like his "Magnum weight" so in a few scenes he looked more like the TS we know and love -- jogging suit in the opening, for example, and a couple of other times I can't specifically point out right now. Several head movements seemed to be "Magnum-esque."

Of course, now in "Blue Bloods" his weight is back up. But if he knew how much better (and YOUNGER!) he looks (at least to me!) with the weight off, maybe he'd try to keep it under control a little better. No real "career/professional" reason to do so, since he seems to be well employed right now. But, darn, when he could look so much better -- he hasn't gained THAT much weight -- a little effort would produce a great reward (again, IMO).
Of course, there probably won't be any more JS movies now that BB is running. But, and I hate to say it, that absence won't be much of a loss if last night's movie was indicative of future storylines . . . .

Don't shoot me -- JMO!!

golf
Great review, Golf. Like I said, when I have some free time this week I am going to watch it from beginning to end. I got the impression that the jogging scene in the beginning was a body double. Tom Selleck has a very distinctive style when he runs, and walks for that matter. He is very light on his feet and almost glides at both as I was watching the jogger in the opening trying to decide if it was Jesse or not, I came to the conclusion when they revealed it was, that they used a stunt double. I read that it won the ratings Sunday night which is incredible considering he was going against Trump, a music awards show and THE BULLS. TS did state on Regis and Kelly last week that he was on his way up to Halifax to film number 8 during his B.Bloods hiatus................

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Well, I have to agree that it was the darkest one of the series so far. But I thought there were a ton of Magnum references, the best being the jogging along the shore (different ocean, but still Magnum-like and when Stephen McHattie said "you used to jog" I cracked up!). The Bridge on the River Kwai was a nice touch, too. I'm pretty sure I saw the Rolex in the flashback scene when he is visiting the girl at the rehab center. When he hugged her and stroked her hair the watch was peeking out from beneath his sleeve. But the KING of all Magnum references has to be it ended with him shooting a Russian!!

As for the short sentence dialog, aren't the books the same way? I've only read part of one because I really couldn't get in to it without TS, but I seem to remember the short sentences. Maybe if Tom narrated the books on tape I would like them better. His voice can make anything interesting.

eeyore
Admiral

Next Jesse Stone movie

#15 Post by eeyore »

Tom was on Rachel Ray this past week and he announced he is getting reading to film the next Jesse Stone movie while Blue Bloods is on hiatus. I think it is titled Benefit of the Doubt.
I agree that the filming of these movies is very dark and dreary, and that the writing is a little overdone with the short terse phrases. Also agree about a body double jogging in the opening scene. It occurred to me right away--I did not think this was him.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#16 Post by golfmobile »

Robert B. Parker (RBP) used a lot of short sentences for Spenser and Jesse in his books, but he used it when appropriate and not for everyone (though it seemed to be that way a little more in his later books. the ones with the larger print and wider margins . . . .). It seemed that TS was trying to copy RBP's writing style but just carried it a little too far -- like straining at it, instead of letting it come into play freely. It helps in understanding these made-for-TV movies to have read all of his books so you can see how the characters and their manner of speaking/communicating was developed. But I confess in the later years when RBP just had to produce a book a year under contract, he seemed to take shortcuts to get them done, so such touches became a little rote. The early Spenser and Jesse characters were articulate; now they seem to be just overly taciturn for effect. Which fails (IMO) because it is so strained.

I agree that the person actually jogging in the intro was probably not TS. But he did look slimmer and Magnum-esque in the hooded sweatshirt with gimme cap underneath the hood. I didn't catch the Rolex in the hug with the teenager in rehab, but I remember thinking I would probably look as short/small compared to him as she did, as I'm 5' 3" and he's 6' 4"!! Wouldn't I just LOVE to get that hug to compare sizing!! But his tummy better not keep me at a distance! :wink:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

That's too funny about the hug Golf! I would like to experience it, as well. I am 5'1" and anytime I see him hug a woman I think about the size difference, too!

I could be wrong about the watch, but I think it was the Pepsi Rolex. The hug and stroking the hair just looked very Magnum-like. Anybody got a freeze frame of the hug scene?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#18 Post by Shermy »

Between The Bridge on the River Kwai and the villain, it definitely felt like TS was drawing inspiration from "Did You See The Sunrise?".

My main criticism was the pacing. All of these movies tend to be slow starters, but this one seemed to take forever to kick in. I mean, there's only so many times Jesse and his dog can stare at each other. :lol:

It didn't help that CBS waited more than a year to air it after No Remorse. I found myself trying to remember if Cindy Van Alden had been in one of the previous installments, and even how all the characters fit together. (I did recall that a similar- or perhaps the same- character as Cindy appeared in one of Parker's books, but it's been a while since I read those as well.)

Another problem is that Unemployed Jesse just isn't as interesting as one that has to deal with the various pressures of Paradise. He ends up doing less police work and having fewer scenes with the main cast. The end result makes Innocents Lost feel more like a middle chapter than an installment which can stand on its own.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by zebra3 »

I thought that the rain added atmosphere to the movie. I just wish the sun came out at the end.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by wwmd »

Anyone know when this one comes out on DVD? There was severe weather near my area on Sunday night, and I didn’t get to watch it because of all the weather reports. In the long run, I’m glad that they were providing regular updates (I live less than 100 miles south of Joplin, MO); however, I was bummed out to have missed Jesse Stone.

Amazon doesn’t seem to have a timetable.

Thanks!

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

eeyore
Admiral

#21 Post by eeyore »

Hi Sammy,
Sorry you missed it! You can preorder at amazon.com

Looks like it comes out in August! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:I read that it won the ratings Sunday night which is incredible considering he was going against Trump, a music awards show and THE BULLS. TS did state on Regis and Kelly last week that he was on his way up to Halifax to film number 8 during his B.Bloods hiatus................
Indeed, incredible! 14 Million viewers. Top 10 for the week. Up 21% from the last Jesse Stone movie! Clearly Selleck's Blue Bloods momentum is taking hold. Selleck is still drawing them in in huge numbers!

Come on Tom, think of how huge the ratings will be with a two-part made-for-tv Magnum movie!! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#23 Post by Agatha »

Well, I LOVED it!! Surprise! Surprise!! :)

I agree with Shermy that the unemployed Jesse is different than before...I've been thinking and believe that both No Remorse and Innocents Lost feel a bit disjointed because we don't have a "center" in the Paradise Police station. He bounces back and forth between Paradise and Boston without a "base" and it can feel a bit hard to follow.

Also, zebra3, when you get a chance to see the other Jesse Stones you'll understand more about the bad guy in this one. Jesse doesn't murder people...but he sometimes sets them up to be killed. And you'll also see that, while these movies do stand alone, they also weave together much like Magnum did with re-occurring things that loyal fans recognize from past stories. So the endings do make me feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And NO, Golf!! I like to think that there is at least ONE woman in this world that Jesse could just be friends with and not end up in bed with!! This one had me a bit scared...flipping from dinner with the nun to the bedroom like they did! Whew...different lady in the bed, thank goodness!!

I agree, though, that Stephen McHattie looked a bit worn. Of course, that could be the result of being so critically injured in No Remorse...:) Actually, it seemed like Tom looked kind of tired, too. I chalked it up to my friend's 42 inch screen...TOO MUCH detail. ???

And I didn't see the credits like I do on a DVD...was that the same Reggie?

SO glad to hear that Mr Selleck is committed to at least one Jesse each year. Have heard mixed reviews about Blue Bloods and since I don't have a TV, I haven't had the opportunity to see for myself. I hope it's worth a Jesse Stone movie...I heard that they had planned two a year before Blue Bloods came along.

August for the DVD? Fantastic!! In the meantime I have a friend who recorded Innocents Lost. Hoping to sneak in another viewing before the DVD!

Heaven...I'm in heaven...

:oops:
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Miss Q »

I hated it.

The plot was bad, the writing was bad, the acting was bad....

Ok, the acting was bad because they has nothing to work with.

Come on TS get back in the game....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#25 Post by golfmobile »

Don't soft-soap it like that, Miss Q. Tell us what you really think.

golf
"Portside, buddy."