I wish Tom Selleck made 7 Magnum, PI movies

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Buck
Captain

I wish Tom Selleck made 7 Magnum, PI movies

#1 Post by Buck »

Why did Tom Selleck make Jessie Stone movies when fans want Magnum PI?

I do not understand.

James Garner was kind enough to give us 8 Rockford Files movies. I hope he lives a long time, but he is at the age where we probably won't get more movies. Thank you James for giving us these 8 movies.

Why won't Tom make Magnum PI movies? I want to know what happened to everyone since the series ended. And I don't want to wait until original cast members start dying.

Please give us a couple Magnum PI movies.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Re: I wish Tom Selleck made 7 Magnum, PI movies

#2 Post by No need to know! »

Buck wrote:Why did Tom Selleck make Jessie Stone movies when fans want Magnum PI?

I do not understand.

James Garner was kind enough to give us 8 Rockford Files movies. I hope he lives a long time, but he is at the age where we probably won't get more movies. Thank you James for giving us these 8 movies.

Why won't Tom make Magnum PI movies? I want to know what happened to everyone since the series ended. And I don't want to wait until original cast members start dying.

Please give us a couple Magnum PI movies.
Yes i totally agree. And i just read that Larry Hagman will return as JR in the new Dallas show. There have been talks about a Magnum P.I blockbuster movie for 4-5 years now. I am just hoping that some people surrounding this project have been looking into the possibilaty to do tv movies instead. With the original cast of course :D
Onion´s extra?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I don't think Tom Selleck is the one holding this up. Every interview I've seen or read he is more than willing to do Magnum again.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I don't think Tom Selleck is the one holding this up. Every interview I've seen or read he is more than willing to do Magnum again.
Bingo. Regardless, Tom's a pretty darn good actor...you can't blame him for wanting to be known for more than just his small screen role. I actually think it's pretty awesome that he's willing to go back to reprise Magnum given all the other roles he has access to. He's in big screen movies, back on prime time and still - if we can believe what we read - he's up for a Magnum movie.

Cool.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Coops »

I think Tom fully understands what the MPI fans want. However, he also knows what the Powers That Be also want pretty much leaving him powerless.

A reboot of the series is ill-advised IMHO. Today's taste in TV shows with the quick-fast editing and rapid-fire dialogue will destroy what made MPI so special to begin with. There's not a lot of cerebral TV left out there. And, yes, I do believe that MPI was a very cerebral TV show.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Majordomo »

Coops wrote:I think Tom fully understands what the MPI fans want. However, he also knows what the Powers That Be also want pretty much leaving him powerless.

A reboot of the series is ill-advised IMHO. Today's taste in TV shows with the quick-fast editing and rapid-fire dialogue will destroy what made MPI so special to begin with. There's not a lot of cerebral TV left out there. And, yes, I do believe that MPI was a very cerebral TV show.
You said it. If Selleck is not Magnum, then I do not want to see it. I saw one episode of the new Hawaii 5-0 and I was done. Beautiful acotrs, but the depth just isn't there. Maybe after a solid season under their belt, they will have something to pull from, but I am not optimistic.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Coops »

I watched the first half or so of the new 5-0 and it lost my interest. But that is for a whole other thread.

SouthEastAsiaTX
Lieutenant

#8 Post by SouthEastAsiaTX »

I think the world has moved on. Like it or not, the Magnum nostalgia is just that, nostalgia. The market for a Magnum revival is probably not huge. Too many competing shows, interests, and distractions. I've never seen Jesse Stone, but I've seen a few Selleck scenes from Bluebloods. Not for me, but that's ok because I'm glad Selleck hasn't been typecast. He deserves a wider audience and the chance to work as long as he wants to. I'm afraid we're stuck with what we have. And that's fine with me. Magnum is a state of mind from a special period in my life, the 80s. Revivals and where are they now updates to the storyline would just change the way I process Magnum whenever I watch an episode. I'll take Magnum frozen in time and be fine without the kind of ridicule likely to be dished out by a movie in the vein of Starsky and Hutch.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

SouthEastAsiaTX wrote:I think the world has moved on. Like it or not, the Magnum nostalgia is just that, nostalgia. The market for a Magnum revival is probably not huge. Too many competing shows, interests, and distractions. I've never seen Jesse Stone, but I've seen a few Selleck scenes from Bluebloods. Not for me, but that's ok because I'm glad Selleck hasn't been typecast. He deserves a wider audience and the chance to work as long as he wants to. I'm afraid we're stuck with what we have. And that's fine with me. Magnum is a state of mind from a special period in my life, the 80s. Revivals and where are they now updates to the storyline would just change the way I process Magnum whenever I watch an episode. I'll take Magnum frozen in time and be fine without the kind of ridicule likely to be dished out by a movie in the vein of Starsky and Hutch.
Nicely said.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Seaver41 »

I'm only now jumping on the Jesse Stone bandwagon. I've seen the first 2 plus maybe one or two of the more recent ones........and I've enjoyed seeing Tom in the role good stuff. One distinct difference I notice is the banter is not as good in the recent ones as the older ones............it seems too heavily scripted whereas the one word answers came out as more of his personality in the early ones. It's like there is too much in a conversation, overemphasizing it.

I do know in the early years when Magnum was done........Selleck was done with Magnum as a tv vehicle. He only saw it in the movies. Time passed and maybe he softened, or maybe not. I've yet to hear him clamour for a tv movie.

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

#11 Post by Canada Jones »

I also am new to the Jesse Stone films - very enjoyable. I noticed Selleck is still wearing the Rolex GMT Red and Blue Bezel watch (like the one he wore in Magnum). One example is in the third film(Death in Paradise) at about 12:34 mark when Stone is drinking coffee. Good to see him in action with a Magnum reminder always with him.
best
Canada
Last edited by Canada Jones on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by terryfromkerry »

Welcome Canada Jones.

This is a terrific site with great members.

Hopefully T.S. despite his Blue Bloods schedule and commitments will go on to make further Jesse Stone movies.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

brett
Ensign

#13 Post by brett »

After doing a little research on the subject of a Magnum movie I found something stating that Tom Selleck was very much into it and that author Tom Clancy was very interested in writing it. However when Tom Clancy died not too long ago it got shelved.

In my opinion, most shows that are remade long after the original usually do not turn out very well. However, I think Magnum P.I. has a very good chance of succeeding. He is a very strong character and I think that he is one of few that could really do well with the new generation and also who appeals to the masses. Kind of like Gibbs from NCIS. Being a fan I would love to see what could be done with a movie or a television show. I also believe that there are many different avenues they could go with it.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Little Garwood »

IMO the time for Tom Selleck-MPI TV movies has long passed. In the early '90s he was still etching out a movie career but by mid-decade he was back doing TV movies. I can understand the need to extend one's creative range, as well. Plus, MPI was still too recent for him to give up other roles more interesting to him and I respect TS for wanting to do that.

Another thing to consider is John Hillerman would probably not have appeared in any MPI TV movies, since he has been retired since, what, 1996?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

waverly2211
Captain

#15 Post by waverly2211 »

Little Garwood wrote: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 pm IMO the time for Tom Selleck-MPI TV movies has long passed. In the early '90s he was still etching out a movie career but by mid-decade he was back doing TV movies. I can understand the need to extend one's creative range, as well. Plus, MPI was still too recent for him to give up other roles more interesting to him and I respect TS for wanting to do that.

Another thing to consider is John Hillerman would probably not have appeared in any MPI TV movies, since he has been retired since, what, 1996?
Rumor was there were 3 storyboards floating around circa 1999-2001

Crossroads
Old Stick
Aloha, Magnum