More connections to MPI ?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

More connections to MPI ?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

I loved the watch shot. Definitely a tip of the hat to MPI ! However, there are a couple more that were subtle but may also be related:

1) Jesse took a box of doughnuts to Suit when they met. Now remember, TM always took pastries to Mac when trying to con him for information and Jesse was trying to get info from Suit so...

2) When Jesse is looking for a used car and he is eyeing the sports car, Hasty says something to the effect of " You can't afford that one" and that reminds me of how lots of people during the MPI run would laugh at the thought that a guy like TM could drive a Ferrari and they would give him the "That's not your car" line.

Anyway, I thought these things also may have been inspired by Tom's memories of MPI.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MACattack »

most likely.
I just don't give a damn!

Walks
Captain

#3 Post by Walks »

I thought the watch thing was cool, too. I have the same GMT - It's a late sixties/early 70's model. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's not necessarily a tip of the hat to MPI, but that it's Selleck's own watch; Something he's had since Magnum. (IMO, this makes it actually cooler - I like the idea that he's held onto something since the Magnum days...)
Storywise, don't forget that Jesse Stone was almost a pro ballplayer. It's absolutely conceivable that the character bought that watch with his signing bonus.

The donuts and coffee are a Robert B. Parker staple, and if any of you have yet to dive into either the Stone or Spencer books, I'd urge you to do so; They're really good. (In fact, the Gino Fish character is in both series - It would be fun, at some point, to see a Spencer/Stone teamup. Too bad, Robert Urich is no longer among us :( )

Aloha!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

Walks,

Doughnuts are a police staple in general or at least a stereotype anyway. The reasons I mentioned it here is that Jesse never took the doughnuts to Suitcase before in my memory. Suit always had them and offered them to Jesse. This reminded me of how Magnum took pastries to Mac when attempting to con him for info.

I just wish they had used a red sports car for the "that one's out of your league" comment. I thought that was very reminiscent of MPI ...

Good point about the ballplayer days that surely paid more than police work!

Luther, out...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?