"No Remorse" -- didya see it?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Little Garwood »

Agatha, I thought it was just me being me, railing against the world's injustices while everyone else copes so much better! :lol:
-------------

Does anyone else find the Jesse Stone movies oddly...comforting? There's an evocative atmosphere in this series which is refreshingly not filmed in California.

Or maybe it's just the presence of The Man in this. Selleck's pure TV presence, which I haven't seen in an actor since giants like James Garner, Jack Lord, and Peter Falk roamed the television landscape. Selleck is perfect for the confines of Television.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

We watched it last night. I thought they wrapped it up too soon. I also thought it was much different than the other Jesse Stone movies.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#23 Post by SelleckLover »

The Neilsen Ratings were published in the newspaper today. Our Tom Terrific in No Remorse beat out Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy in the ratings! Very impressive if I say so myself.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#24 Post by Agatha »

But not surprising, right, SelleckLover? I mean anyone with a pulse....

:lol:
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

SelleckLover wrote:The Neilsen Ratings were published in the newspaper today. Our Tom Terrific in No Remorse beat out Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy in the ratings! Very impressive if I say so myself.
Why would anyone watch Desperate Housewives unless they were, well, desperate?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm so jealous! I havn't seen it yet. I still to watch #'s 3, 4, and 5 first! :oops:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#27 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
But not surprising, right, SelleckLover? I mean anyone with a pulse....
I'm not surprised one bit! What's so impressive to me is that he is executive producer, writer, actor and who knows what else. He has more talent in his little finger than most actors out there today. He's awesome! (Sigh! :wink: )

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#28 Post by Agatha »

He most certainly is!! (Sigh, too!)

:wink:

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#29 Post by Shermy »

This one did seem unusually downbeat- especially for the first half hour or so. (I appreciated the recurring "Don't give this number to anybody" joke, which struck me as being a little Magnum-esque.)

It was nice to see both storylines treated as mysteries, with Jesse even going into full-blown Sherlock Holmes mode a couple of times. I was also pleasantly surprised by the number of characters that were brought back. TS has maintained a strong sense of continuity throughout the series, which is really cool.

The most depressing aspect (aside from Jen still looming in the background!) was knowing that both this and Jesse Stone 7 have just sitting around on a shelf somewhere for months. I really don't understand CBS' approach to this series at all. :?

only looking wrote:if anyone sees a site with it where it can be viewed..PLEASE post the link here
It's probably best to keep the forum link-free in this situation, but if anyone wants a private message point in the right direction...

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#30 Post by Agatha »

I know what you're thinking, IKnowWhatYou'reThinking! :lol:

I COULD NOT BELIEVE that we didn't find out about Jesse's job!! I mean...I thought that's what we've been waiting for all this time!! To see what the Town Council was going to do! At least that's what I was waiting for all this time! And it was different, too. I've decided that it's because we didn't have "Jesse Stone, Police Chief" to anchor it. He was home...and in Boston...and in Paradise. Behind the scenes, kind of. So it felt a bit...scattered.

Still WONDERFUL, though! And Little Garwood has nailed it for me as well. I do think the Jesse Stone movies are comforting. We've talked about it before. How Bellisario built relationships in Magnum...and little "insider" bits that make us feel included. Our Tom is doing the same thing with Jesse Stone. In fact, he even brings back some of the insider bits from Magnum in Jesse Stone! (Like the woman in Sea Change who kept asking him "Don't you think I could afford a car like this? Don't you think I could afford a boat like this?) So we're becoming familiar with the characters and feeling included in their relationships and it's...comfortable!

I just have to believe that the job issue is going to be a zinger! First, they put it off. And then Jesse has been so...hmmmm...tacturn about the whole thing. Doesn't SEEM to be worried about it at all. I think he's ferreted out something that is going to make the Town Council back down. I think he's setting them up. I don't know what it could be. I just feel it in my cells.

According to Amazon.com, No Remorse will be released in DVD on July 27th. ONLY TWO MONTHS!!!

Yipeeeeeeee!

:)

wdm
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by wdm »

My wife and I finally watched it on Saturday night. What a great movie and I loved looking for some Magnum Moments. I thought the dream figuring out the killer was somewhat like the episode 'Flashback". Someone said TS is in Halifax shooting the next one right now. Has anyone seen or heard this? There always seems to be photos of TS that pop up on the internet when he is filming something. Also, does anyone know the status of "Reagan's Law"?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#32 Post by Shermy »

wdm wrote:Someone said TS is in Halifax shooting the next one right now. Has anyone seen or heard this?
I believe that's where he was shooting Jesse Stone 7, Innocents Lost, a few months ago. It's been finished for some time now.

As for TS starting another one, I think he's still in the writing phase. During his recent appearance on Craig Ferguson's show, TS mentioned that he was hoping to "make number 8". (Since No Remorse did well in the ratings, maybe CBS will let him get started soon!)
wdm wrote:Also, does anyone know the status of "Reagan's Law"?
The show is now going by the name "Blue Bloods" and reportedly tested very strongly with preview audiences:

Never underestimate the power of the Tom Selleck/CBS combo. I hear the family cop show Blue Bloods aka Reagan's Law starring Selleck and Donnie Wahlberg tested through the roof and now appears likely to get a series pickup. Now Selleck will have a series and a movie franchise (Jesse Stone) on the network.

As a result, CBS has added it to their lineup for next season:

CBS this morning started making calls to the producers of the pilots that had been picked up to series for next season. Defenders is a go as well as Mike and Molly (which Deadline previously told you about), Hawaii 5-0, and the Tom Selleck starrer Blue Bloods.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#33 Post by golfmobile »

How GRAND to have TS back on a weekly basis!!! I hadn't heard a word about "Blue Bloods." But, gosh, I hope he's a little more Magnumesque and not Jesse-esque. Even his character on Las Vegas was rather dour and downbeat. I'd like to see a character we can laugh WITH, at least occasionally!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#34 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:HowBut, gosh, I hope he's a little more Magnumesque and not Jesse-esque. Even his character on Las Vegas was rather dour and downbeat. I'd like to see a character we can laugh WITH, at least occasionally!
Good point!

I recently started watching reruns of "Nash Bridges"- Don Johnson's cop show from the late 90s. He basically played the character like an older, mellower Sonny Crockett that had gotten a little success under his belt. I wouldn't mind if TS did something similar and brought back a few of the qualities that made Thomas Magnum so much fun to watch. (I'm not sure how much more laid-back Magnum could get, though! 8) )

It's worth noting that TS won't be playing the oldest "blue blood", since Len Cariou has been cast as the grandfather. So perhaps TS won't have to be the serious one in the room all the time and will still make his share of mistakes?

On a side note, the concept for this show reminds me of those "Family of Cops" tv movies that Charles Bronson made back in the 90s. (If I'm not mistaken, they were also on CBS.)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey Shermy, good to see you again! :)

Wow, Len Cariou is the grandfather? He is only six years older than Selleck! I guess he does look a bit older than Selleck though. With makeup and whatnot, I can see them pulling it off.
Shermy wrote:On a side note, the concept for this show reminds me of those "Family of Cops" tv movies that Charles Bronson made back in the 90s. (If I'm not mistaken, they were also on CBS.)
Indeed!

I'm really looking forward to seeing it! I'm glad CBS picked it up. Let's see if it can make it past the first 13 episodes.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!