"No Remorse" -- didya see it?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

"No Remorse" -- didya see it?

#1 Post by golfmobile »

At 10:19 into the movie, Jesse looks at his watch -- it's Magnum's Rolex!!!

I'm sure everyone who watched the movie spotted that instantly. I just wanted to be the first to post.

But, lordy, these are SUCH depressing movies. Well done, but it's like . . . . "Let's go by the morgue on the way home for a little cheer."

I'll always watch the movies, but they are so "down" . . . . Need to watch a silly MPI episode afterwards to get in a better mood.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by erock308 »

Yup, watched it, it aired on my birthday so I had to watch it as sort of a present to myself, plus parts of it were shot in my home town ;{)

Seen the watch! and also tried to get a good look at the pistol.... Colt .45 1911 model?

A little sad and depressing but I got a total lift when I seen the "Magnum Rolex!" Then I just started looking for things... Do you think watch was intentional?
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

My guess is that the watch shot was intentional -- maybe a salute to MPI fans. I may have missed something, but I didn't see any reason for even looking at the watch to see the time. It didn't seem relevant to the story. Anyone? Did I miss something?

Also, I think it's an incongruity that an honest former LAPD cop would have a $5,000 watch. We know where Magnum got it, but Jesse? Bit of a stretch there, unless TS is planning on bringing in some story where JESSE got a Rolex watch from HIS father . . . . who died in the Korean war . . . . . and taught him to tread water . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#4 Post by Agatha »

I did!! Had to ask a friend if she'd be willing to stay up until 11:00 with me! I don't have a TV. And she was! Willing, I mean...:)

Happy Birthday, erock 308! This was my Mother's Day present to me...or maybe it was my friend's Mother's Day present to me. Anyway...:)

I know that they're dark, golf, but they just show how much range our Tom has! And since they're so well done...:)

I spotted the watch, too, and remember being a bit surprised...I think because, like you say, there wasn't really a reason to look at it. But I LOVED the show...except for the fact that we're STILL hanging to find out what that nasty Hanson is going to do. I think, judging by the smile on his face, they're going to fire him...and Rose and Suit. But this is just the kind of a situation where Jesse may have something up his sleeve...:) He could be setting the Town Council up...:) He's good at that y'know. Setting people up.

I love the characters that were brought in from former movies...like Emily from Death in Paradise and Hasty from Night Passage and Sea Change and Sister Mary John from Death in Paradise. But I had a problem making the leap from the blonde Sissy to this new one. Good thing she wasn't too consequential.

I always think that I can't wait for the next movie to come out and the minute I see it, I can't wait for the DVD to come out...so I can see it some more!!!!

;)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

wdm
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by wdm »

Maybe when No Remorse is out on DVD there will be some extras and maybe TS will explain the watch. I would bet it is a nod to all the Magnum fans!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MACattack »

I haven't seen the movie yet.

But I have a theory why he was looking at his watch. To see if it was time to watch MAGNUM P.I.!
I just don't give a damn!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MACattack »

Does anybody know if "NO REMORSE" is going to air on TV again?
I just don't give a damn!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by robspace54 »

I watched it (and taped it on VHS - how retro!). My first Jesse Stone movie and dang this guy is as opposite from Magnum as you can get. TS did say that he liked Parker's writing because Stone has problems, but so did TM.

I loved the CBS lead-in "Tom Selleck returns to CBS"... now if only, but I digress. A depressing movie but well crafted, although why the nun? Was she in a previous HBO Stone film? And as for Cissy, there is a whole lot of trouble in those quarters. paradise is really filled with characters, but they stick with you.

But my ideas of a 65-year-old Magnum were tainted by the depressing and depressed Jesse Stone. Jesse had no remorse either, did he?

But do you think Reggie is really Higgins??? :lol:

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

I DVRed it! Just as no one does grumpy better than Clint Eastwood (I'm thinking Gran Torino here), no one does dark, troubled and brooding better than Tom Selleck!! I do agree with golf though, No Remorse was pretty depressing, but I think they have stayed true to the Robert B. Parker character. I must say the acting was outstanding as usual, and I've watched it 3 times already! Very poignant to see the dedication to Parker at the end.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#10 Post by Agatha »

I'm SO jealous, SelleckLover!! 3 times already!! I wonder when the DVD will be out!?!? It actually didn't take long for Thin Ice to be out on DVD. Maybe six months?

Waiting...waiting...waiting!!

Sigh!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MACattack wrote:I haven't seen the movie yet.

But I have a theory why he was looking at his watch. To see if it was time to watch MAGNUM P.I.!
Nice one Mac! :lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

wdm
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by wdm »

Has anyone seen this website for a replica GMT? http://www.watchesal.com/ROLEX-GMT_MASTER_II-40167.html I wonder how the quality is?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

wdm,

That looks pretty good! Good price too. But it states not to swim with it. Who wants a dive watch you can't go swimming with? But, still, you might get away with it, because I got this one (I prefer gold to stainless steel)

Yachtmaster

and was told specifically that its "water-resistance" meant it PROBABLY wouldn't hurt it if it got splashed but not to actually swim with it, and I've been snorkeling with it three times and it's still going strong. The only thing slightly weird about it is that it's "kinetic" (wrist-movement-winding), and if I don't wear it for 36 hours (take it off and leave it just sitting there), it doesn't hold the "charge" more than about 16 hours. I have to wear it every day or it stops. To get it going again, I have to swing it around in a horizontal (?!!!?) circle 31 (!?!?!?!) times and it's wound. But it's still my favorite watch.

golf

P.S. For those of you who didn't see it, a lot of times a network, such as CBS in this case, will allow a show to be viewed online after it has shown on TV (like you can watch past episodes of shows you've missed). I do NOT know if CBS made-for-TV movies have the same option, but depending on whether or not you are willing to pay to watch it, just Google "jesse stone no remorse watch online," and there are quite a few places that SAY "watch free" but then you have to pay to join some membership or other. Depending on cost, it might be worth it. If you can download it, you can keep it, and if you can keep it on your computer, you can convert it to DVD format (there are freeware programs that can convert .avi, etc., to DVD format) and then burn a DVD. If anyone can get it downloaded but not converted, let me know and I will help you -- if you can send me the file (or upload it online somewhere that I can get to it), I can make you a DVD.
"Portside, buddy."

wdm
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by wdm »

Thanks so much. I may have to buy one.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

I watched it and have to say that these movies have truly grown on me. It was hard to adjust to the full of angst Jesse character at first but he really pulls you into his world and has you rooting for him (with much thanks to Reggie the dog). What I really like about the Jesse Stone movies are the top notch supporting actors TS has surrounded himself with. A true testament to what a great thespian our boy is that a William Devane, Kathy Baker, Stephen Mchattie, etc. want to participate..........