"No Remorse" -- didya see it?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wdm
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by wdm »

My wife and I finally watched it on Saturday night. What a great movie and I loved looking for some Magnum Moments. I thought the dream figuring out the killer was somewhat like the episode 'Flashback". Someone said TS is in Halifax shooting the next one right now. Has anyone seen or heard this? There always seems to be photos of TS that pop up on the internet when he is filming something. Also, does anyone know the status of "Reagan's Law"?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#32 Post by Shermy »

wdm wrote:Someone said TS is in Halifax shooting the next one right now. Has anyone seen or heard this?
I believe that's where he was shooting Jesse Stone 7, Innocents Lost, a few months ago. It's been finished for some time now.

As for TS starting another one, I think he's still in the writing phase. During his recent appearance on Craig Ferguson's show, TS mentioned that he was hoping to "make number 8". (Since No Remorse did well in the ratings, maybe CBS will let him get started soon!)
wdm wrote:Also, does anyone know the status of "Reagan's Law"?
The show is now going by the name "Blue Bloods" and reportedly tested very strongly with preview audiences:

Never underestimate the power of the Tom Selleck/CBS combo. I hear the family cop show Blue Bloods aka Reagan's Law starring Selleck and Donnie Wahlberg tested through the roof and now appears likely to get a series pickup. Now Selleck will have a series and a movie franchise (Jesse Stone) on the network.

As a result, CBS has added it to their lineup for next season:

CBS this morning started making calls to the producers of the pilots that had been picked up to series for next season. Defenders is a go as well as Mike and Molly (which Deadline previously told you about), Hawaii 5-0, and the Tom Selleck starrer Blue Bloods.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#33 Post by golfmobile »

How GRAND to have TS back on a weekly basis!!! I hadn't heard a word about "Blue Bloods." But, gosh, I hope he's a little more Magnumesque and not Jesse-esque. Even his character on Las Vegas was rather dour and downbeat. I'd like to see a character we can laugh WITH, at least occasionally!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#34 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:HowBut, gosh, I hope he's a little more Magnumesque and not Jesse-esque. Even his character on Las Vegas was rather dour and downbeat. I'd like to see a character we can laugh WITH, at least occasionally!
Good point!

I recently started watching reruns of "Nash Bridges"- Don Johnson's cop show from the late 90s. He basically played the character like an older, mellower Sonny Crockett that had gotten a little success under his belt. I wouldn't mind if TS did something similar and brought back a few of the qualities that made Thomas Magnum so much fun to watch. (I'm not sure how much more laid-back Magnum could get, though! 8) )

It's worth noting that TS won't be playing the oldest "blue blood", since Len Cariou has been cast as the grandfather. So perhaps TS won't have to be the serious one in the room all the time and will still make his share of mistakes?

On a side note, the concept for this show reminds me of those "Family of Cops" tv movies that Charles Bronson made back in the 90s. (If I'm not mistaken, they were also on CBS.)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey Shermy, good to see you again! :)

Wow, Len Cariou is the grandfather? He is only six years older than Selleck! I guess he does look a bit older than Selleck though. With makeup and whatnot, I can see them pulling it off.
Shermy wrote:On a side note, the concept for this show reminds me of those "Family of Cops" tv movies that Charles Bronson made back in the 90s. (If I'm not mistaken, they were also on CBS.)
Indeed!

I'm really looking forward to seeing it! I'm glad CBS picked it up. Let's see if it can make it past the first 13 episodes.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#36 Post by Shermy »

J.J. Walters wrote:Wow, Len Cariou is the grandfather? He is only six years older than Selleck! I guess he does look a bit older than Selleck though. With makeup and whatnot, I can see them pulling it off.
It reminds me of Sean Connery playing Harrison Ford's dad in Indy 3- despite the fact that he was only 12 years older!

Of course, then again, it was Sean Connery. :wink:

J.J. Walters wrote:Let's see if it can make it past the first 13 episodes.
If Selleck ends up having a lot of creative control, you might need to start working on a "Blue Bloods Mania" site. :)

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#37 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Sadly I missed it! I hope it will be rebroadcast soon!

gmt16750
Captain

#38 Post by gmt16750 »

i'm a little disappointed by Jesse stone's serie.
It's really slow, and last episode could have been a 25 minutes show (and it would have already been long...)instead of a 84 minutes film!
I guess they don't have so many things to say (lack of real characters other than Selleck's alcoholic depression...the dog is actually the best character
:twisted: )
Really a pity it could be so much more than an engulfing scenario, i know they want to respect country town's pace but why can't they give it a "breaking bad" bend ?
And not a 2 releases max. by year show ..how can you expect people to follow and wait months for such a tiny plot :?:
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MACattack »

You seem really critical of Tom Selleck and the writers
I just don't give a damn!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#40 Post by SelleckLover »

All of the Jesse Stone movies are character driven stories. I think a younger demographic is accustomed to entertainment with car crashes, explosions, special effects, etc. Most of the movies made back in the 1940's were character driven, and the stories had to be good because there were no special effects. Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce comes to mind, or the movie Leave Her to Heaven...I could go on and on. But I think maybe that's why gmt16750 is so critical. JMHO! (I could be wrong though!)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#41 Post by golfmobile »

gmt,

Have you viewed all the other tv movies of this series? Have you read the books (of those of the series that are based on the books)? I agree that it can be a bit difficult to appreciate these if you haven't followed the JS/TS character, along with the other suppoting characters from the books and the tv series if you haven't followed them all along, as a lot of us here have. I certainly agree that this JS series is a little "low key" compared to what we usually see on tv. But I think this is a deviation from the "norm" of what is seen on tv, and thus it is both a salute to Tom Selleck and Robert B. Parker, the creator of the books, that it is a successful tv series. Please give it a chance by reading the books and then watching the tv movies. If, after that, the tv movies still don't appeal to you, then you certainly have the right not to like them. But most of us here tend to like nearly anything TS does because he has taste and finesse, along with perhaps a little universally unappreciated ability. We tend to give him the benefit of the doubt -- and then he rarely disappoints us, in the long run.

Of course, we also acknowledge he's not ALWAYS right. There have been a few "misses" along his career path -- not that I can think of one right now. Well, maybe his less-than-stellar cameo in "Christopher Columbus" . . . . Still . . . . Personally I have doubts about the success of "Blue Bloods" from what I've seen of the promos for that. Unless it has EXCELLENT writing and top-notch plots, it's going to bomb. I HOPE it works, as I'd love to see TS around on a weekly basis. But I'm not sure this is the right "vehicle." I just hope it surprises me. Cross fingers!
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#42 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:I have doubts about the success of "Blue Bloods" from what I've seen of the promos for that. Unless it has EXCELLENT writing and top-notch plots, it's going to bomb. I HOPE it works, as I'd love to see TS around on a weekly basis. But I'm not sure this is the right "vehicle." I just hope it surprises me. Cross fingers!
TS will get older viewers to tune in- which will be key for its Friday night timeslot- but I think the show could end up being a bigger vehicle for Donnie Wahlberg. He seems to be a lot more prominent in all of the promos I've seen, and will likely be their default character to center plots around. (He'll certainly be the show's "action guy".)

So while I agree this may not turn out to be the ideal TS vehicle, I'm also not sure that will be an automatic dealbreaker. It boasts a pretty solid cast and some core writers from The Sopranos. If TS gets to play his character closer to "grown up Magnum" than Jesse Stone, it could end up doing quite well.

gmt16750
Captain

#43 Post by gmt16750 »

Sorry if i hurt someone here!
I didn't mean it, i just said that i appreciated the first episodes, but i just find this one too slow and with very few new events.
No i didn't read the books, and i don't think it's important, in that case it would be a really bad serie!
I'm not a teenager craving for explosions, vampires or other senselessness.
I do prefer Orson Welles' movies, and Howard Hawks' Big Sleep to mean how much i enjoy characters based fictions!
I should check if they translated in french Robert B. Parker, but i must confess i usually spend my time on my favourite writers (Proust, Flaubert, Robbe-Grillet), rather than contemporary ones.
I am curious to see which paths will take this very atypical show, nevertheless i just can't help but thinking that the plot of this episode is really poor and the other characters are near the zero-level developpement.
Anyway, i'll follow the other episodes because i don't like to remain on a bad impression (maybe the long expectation caused my bitterness?)
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MACattack »

Like a dummy I was probably doing something else when this came on TV. I didn't have a DVR recorder at the time either. Believe me, the minute this comes out on DVD I'm buying it!!!
I support everything Tom Selleck is doing these days, and hold hope that he'll be in the future MAGNUM movie, if they ever make it.
I just don't give a damn!

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#45 Post by wwmd »

I was just watching this one again and thought I would post this. I love this series, and it's full of little Magnum nods.

ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage