"No Remorse" -- didya see it?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#41 Post by golfmobile »

gmt,

Have you viewed all the other tv movies of this series? Have you read the books (of those of the series that are based on the books)? I agree that it can be a bit difficult to appreciate these if you haven't followed the JS/TS character, along with the other suppoting characters from the books and the tv series if you haven't followed them all along, as a lot of us here have. I certainly agree that this JS series is a little "low key" compared to what we usually see on tv. But I think this is a deviation from the "norm" of what is seen on tv, and thus it is both a salute to Tom Selleck and Robert B. Parker, the creator of the books, that it is a successful tv series. Please give it a chance by reading the books and then watching the tv movies. If, after that, the tv movies still don't appeal to you, then you certainly have the right not to like them. But most of us here tend to like nearly anything TS does because he has taste and finesse, along with perhaps a little universally unappreciated ability. We tend to give him the benefit of the doubt -- and then he rarely disappoints us, in the long run.

Of course, we also acknowledge he's not ALWAYS right. There have been a few "misses" along his career path -- not that I can think of one right now. Well, maybe his less-than-stellar cameo in "Christopher Columbus" . . . . Still . . . . Personally I have doubts about the success of "Blue Bloods" from what I've seen of the promos for that. Unless it has EXCELLENT writing and top-notch plots, it's going to bomb. I HOPE it works, as I'd love to see TS around on a weekly basis. But I'm not sure this is the right "vehicle." I just hope it surprises me. Cross fingers!
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#42 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:I have doubts about the success of "Blue Bloods" from what I've seen of the promos for that. Unless it has EXCELLENT writing and top-notch plots, it's going to bomb. I HOPE it works, as I'd love to see TS around on a weekly basis. But I'm not sure this is the right "vehicle." I just hope it surprises me. Cross fingers!
TS will get older viewers to tune in- which will be key for its Friday night timeslot- but I think the show could end up being a bigger vehicle for Donnie Wahlberg. He seems to be a lot more prominent in all of the promos I've seen, and will likely be their default character to center plots around. (He'll certainly be the show's "action guy".)

So while I agree this may not turn out to be the ideal TS vehicle, I'm also not sure that will be an automatic dealbreaker. It boasts a pretty solid cast and some core writers from The Sopranos. If TS gets to play his character closer to "grown up Magnum" than Jesse Stone, it could end up doing quite well.

gmt16750
Captain

#43 Post by gmt16750 »

Sorry if i hurt someone here!
I didn't mean it, i just said that i appreciated the first episodes, but i just find this one too slow and with very few new events.
No i didn't read the books, and i don't think it's important, in that case it would be a really bad serie!
I'm not a teenager craving for explosions, vampires or other senselessness.
I do prefer Orson Welles' movies, and Howard Hawks' Big Sleep to mean how much i enjoy characters based fictions!
I should check if they translated in french Robert B. Parker, but i must confess i usually spend my time on my favourite writers (Proust, Flaubert, Robbe-Grillet), rather than contemporary ones.
I am curious to see which paths will take this very atypical show, nevertheless i just can't help but thinking that the plot of this episode is really poor and the other characters are near the zero-level developpement.
Anyway, i'll follow the other episodes because i don't like to remain on a bad impression (maybe the long expectation caused my bitterness?)
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MACattack »

Like a dummy I was probably doing something else when this came on TV. I didn't have a DVR recorder at the time either. Believe me, the minute this comes out on DVD I'm buying it!!!
I support everything Tom Selleck is doing these days, and hold hope that he'll be in the future MAGNUM movie, if they ever make it.
I just don't give a damn!

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#45 Post by wwmd »

I was just watching this one again and thought I would post this. I love this series, and it's full of little Magnum nods.

ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

wdm
Vice Admiral

#46 Post by wdm »

Does anyone know if TS is doing any interviews or appearances for tomorrows DVD release of No Remorse?

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

#47 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

I rented the DVD yesterday and I watched it. I thought it was well done but I like Thin Ice so far.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by steveadl »

Finally got around to watching this JS movie. Couldn't believe it when I saw him look at his watch - that's awesome!!!

My take on it is that it would very likely be Tom Selleck's normal watch. Though the specific shot of it for the movie would hopefully be a sly nod to his MPI fans.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#49 Post by Agatha »

Right on, Steveadl! I think the Jesse Stone movies contain quite a few "sly nods to his MPI fans" and I LOVE them!!

You know that the next one is coming right up??? Innocents Lost...I heard May 22nd. I anticipating this one even more than some because they left us actually sitting in the council chambers, for God's sake!!!

Waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

wind4fuel
Lieutenant

#50 Post by wind4fuel »

I think Tom is giving us what we want, Older wiser Magnum in a round about way without steping on Universal's toes. They have three toes on each foot don't they? :)