Rank the Jesse Stone Movies?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Rank the Jesse Stone Movies?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

Anyone want to take a shot at ranking the Jesse Stone movies?

A couple of things that I noticed in watching them:

1) It was cool how Suit woke up from his coma asking for something Jesse had read to him from a book ala a pint of stout from MPI's Infinity and Jelly doughnuts

2) Kathy Baker is ok but I miss the other lady. The back and forth between she and Jesse is priceless

3) Did anyone notice the irony of TS playing the part of a character in dime-store novels when he once played a character who worked and lived off the largess of a dime-store novelist ?

4) The sarcastic exchanges between Jesse and Suit and Jesse and Healy are very amusing
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Carmen
MPI

#2 Post by Carmen »

So far I`ve only seen 3 of them. Sea Change isn`t released in Germany yet. I am checking amazon every week - can`t wait to see them all!!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#3 Post by Agatha »

I'll take a shot, Luther. Of course this is just my opinion. And they're so sequential that it's hard not to rank them "in order"...

1) Night Passage. Stone Coldmade a lot more sense to me after Night Passage came out and explained how the situations in Stone Cold came to be. Jesse really takes this little town by storm. Hasty made a big mistake by underestimating him. And I LOVED how he got back at that nasty Stephen Baldwin!

2) Sea Change. REALLY like how Jesse starts with almost nothing and works his way back to the real truth, which didn't even enter my mind..or anybody else's, apparently. Fun to watch again and find the places where the girls were switched and I didn't even suspect.

3) Stone Cold. Great story. Scary couple! I liked the subplot in this one a lot, too. How he's so macho and yet he's furious that the boys think they can get away with raping the girl. And how he "sics" Molly on them.

4) Thin Ice. Haven't seen this one as often so am still getting to know it but, again, Jesse starts with an old, old case and manages to put it together. Love the interactions between Jesse and Gino Fish. AND his loyalty to Captain Healy. Really left me waiting for the other shoe to drop. C'mon, No Remorse!!

5) Death in Paradise. My least favorite. I HATE the child molestation angle and the pompous Dad. Love the Boston nun.

I feel the same way about Molly and Rose, Luther. I guess if I could have my "druthers" I'd want Molly to come back after her baby is a bit older and Rose to stay as well. They need to replace DeAngelo, after all.

There's a lot about the Jesse Stone movies that reminds me of the Magnum series. I think Tom learned a lot from Bellisario about "insider" information that helps me feel connected to the characters. Things like: "Do you miss it?" (baseball, police work) "Every day". And the wake up scenario that you mentioned. Use of the word "Because..." I think when Suitcase feels something "in his cells"...he's experiencing his "little voice". There's more...I just can't think of them all right now. But I think that all of these little bits of recurring dialogue draw the characters together...and the audience to the characters.

Good topic, Luther! Thanks!

:)
Last edited by Agatha on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Seaver41 »

just watched Death in Paradise........so I see this is where his shrink enters the picture (I've seen the latest two already....and now the 1st 3)......so I guess my perspective is a bit unique......but I do not like the banter with the shrink and feel it gets shorter and more forced as the series goes along.

They certainly hinted at possible incest, but cleverly never stepped in that bucket.

I really like this character and strangely, I for once identify Selleck as Jesse when he plays him. I don't see Magnum and maybe more accurately, I'm not looking for Magnum in that character.

Has it ever been revealed in either film or novel, what in the life of Jesse Stone made him predisposed to be a drunk before actually becoming one? In this movie the shrink says he was a drunk waiting to happen long before the wife left him.

seanpro
Ensign

Love them all, but here is my order

#5 Post by seanpro »

Death in Paradise is my #1 all the rest are tied for #2 :)

For those looking for the order the Jesse Stone series was made in you can visit my new site: http://jessestonemovies.net