Thin Ice

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

Thin Ice

#1 Post by Agatha »

Hey, you guys!!

I barreled home from my friend's house last night at about midnight...we had to feed the raccoons after the show...and logged on to see what you all thought of the show. I figured that someone would have started a discussion already because most of you are further East than I am. But nothing! Not even this morning!

Que paso??

OK. I'll go first. I LOVED IT!! Of course. Couldn't believe that it was over so soon! Can't wait until the next one!

I have dial up so can't watch videos. My friend and I surfed videos...Jon Stewart show...TV Guide intereview...before the show so I got a chance to see Tom Selleck easy and relaxed...and smiling. Jesse doesn't smile much.

Then the movie... Like a visit from a group of old friends. Good to see Suitcase getting better and better. And Rose taking on more field work. I hope they find a way to bring Molly back...maybe after her baby is older. I'm glad that D'Angelo is gone. I'm furious with the town council and proud of Jesse for doing what's right in spite of them. And blown away by the missing child storyline! I didn't want it to end before I could see how Jesse was going to handle telling the real mother. I felt really "up in the air" about where Jesse is going to end up. On the one hand, the town council doesn't deserve him but on the other hand, Luther and Rose (and Molly) do and I think he needs to have this part of his life settled. The whole movie left me waiting for the other shoe to drop...something's going on with William DeVane's character and the Steven McHattie character has a long recovery ahead of him and...and...and. AAUUGGHH!

Has anyone heard when No Remorse is scheduled to air?????

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Steve »

I loved it, the scene where Jesse is fed up and cuts down the tree concealing the speed limit sign is great. I did read on IMDB that Jesse comes back the town to help out Steven McHattie on the down low in the 6th. These Movies have Tom Selleck's signature all over them now as he co-wrote last nights and "No Remorse" as well and TS truly knows how to develop characters you can sink your teeth into.........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Son of a... I totally forgot it was on! Didn't even set the Tivo. Ugh!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

I thoroughly enjoyed Thin Ice, but I thought the sub-plot about the missing child was the teensiest bit contrived...but it didn't ruin it for me or anything! So nice to see our TS, a true professional at work, and you can tell that he really enjoys playing this character. Even though he bears no resemblance to Robert B. Parker's book character of Jesse Stone, he truly makes it his own and makes it work. Do I smell another Emmy nomination and possibly a win this time? Absolutely! It is richly deserved, I might add! Now I can hardly wait another year for No Remorse...but it will be worth the wait!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#5 Post by Agatha »

Oh, NO, James! Don't worry. They'll probably show it again...I think they have shown the others periodically.

Here's another review...copied it off of Amazon when I signed up to be notified when the DVD is available.

Jesse and his State Homicide buddy Healey are shot at in Boston. Both are injured, Healey seriously. Jesse comes home to learn his ex-wife is moving in with her boyfriend; his employer, the Paradise Town Council is not pleased with his performance as police chief specifically with his failure to man the speed trap just outside of town, and a woman from New Mexico thinks her long-ago kidnapped son is alive and well in Paradise. Add an Internal Affairs investigation conducted by an angst-ridden and glamorous officer to the mix (Jesse managed to fire a couple of shots at the gunman) and this is a satisfying addition to the series.

Thin Ice describes more than the story. This is the first of the Jesse Stone movies not based on a Robert Parker novel, there are differences in characters (I particularly missed Molly) and there's an edgier feel to it. While there is still the wonderful repartee among the members of Paradise's tiny PD that is so characteristic of these stories, everyone seems uneasy and Jesse seems more self-destructive than in the past. Nevertheless, the intrepid Jesse manages to sidestep Internal Affairs to resolve the shooting, ferrets out the truth about the kidnapping, and as the movie ends, is on his way to Do The Right Thing. His future in Paradise is in question as well as his personal relationships, and I'm glad I read that there is another episode yet unreleased, so maybe the big issues will be resolved. Review is by "Jody".

I liked the tree-cutting scene, too, Steve. I had a bit more trouble keeping up with him in this one so I was a bit taken aback when he fired up the chain saw! I think it was because they kept interrupting the story with commercials! I don't have a TV and am used to seeing my Jesse Stone movies on DVD...straight through!

Please, Sellecklover!! Not a whole year!! It's already finished! I was thinking we'd only have to wait 'til maybe FALL!!

We'll see, won't we?

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

wdm
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by wdm »

Way to go TS.

9 pm
In the three-way competition between two-hour "events," CBS' Jesse Stone: Thin Ice placed first - and was the night's most watched program - with 15.13 million viewers. That marks a 16 percent increase over the mystery series' previous installment. Brothers & Sisters (ahem) "came to life" with nearly 12 million viewers, a 27 percent surge over its last outing.

The second cycle of Celebrity Apprentice premiered to 8.8 mil, an 18 percent plunge from the first season's opener. Maybe next time, the Donald should promise a "shocking death"?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
Please, Sellecklover!! Not a whole year!! It's already finished! I was thinking we'd only have to wait 'til maybe FALL!!
Sorry Agatha! CBS usually saves these for sweeps week because of the high ratings that they always get. Our TS stomped all over Dancing with the Stars last year, one of ABC's most popular shows! :D But it would be GREAT if they did air No Remorse this fall...a dream come true for me!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

Great to hear it was #1 in the ratings. Now maybe we won't have to wait so long before No Remorse airs.

I enjoyed the fact that it was treated like an actual mystery- as opposed to showing us the shooter early on. It was also nice that the drinking/ex-wife elements were kept to a bare mininum. They managed to make Jen relevant to the plot- in the scenes with the DA- but without running it into the ground. Oh, and the tree scene was definitely a highlight.

It was a solid installment, but it didn't feel as self-contained as some of the earlier films did. There didn't seem to be as much small town atmosphere this time around, either.

It will be interesting to see how far Selleck takes the series. I wouldn't mind seeing a film based on Parker's High Profile book, which had Jesse trying to juggle both a murder case and a media circus in Paradise. I also wonder if they will ever bring Jen to Paradise, even though she wasn't a very likable character in the books.

I personally wouldn't mind a film where the DA from last night kills Jen. Or maybe one where Polly Shannon- who played Abby in the first two movies- returns as evil twin or something. :P

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I really enjoyed this installment. It just made me even more curious as to how the sixth one is going to go. Does anyone know if that will be the final installment, or are they going beyond six?

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MPS »

I can't wait to watch it, after reading what you guys wrote! I recorded it because I was out on Sunday...Then had to work late last night......

Can't wait to see it tonight :P :P
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

I hate to admit this, but I fell asleep about halfway thru Thin Ice, and missed the rest! I woke up later to go to bed. Sorry folks, maybe I can catch it if it is a rerun.

:oops:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Miss Q »

INWYT,

I am hoping the series will go on. I am a bit confused as the 6th book just came out, however episode 5 and 6 are already 'in the can' and were written by TS and Brandman (sp) NOT Robert Parker.

The problem with this is they are no longer following RP's true script for the character. Jesse Stone was not suspended in the books. This is good cause now they can just keep on going and dont need to wait for the next book. But now we are out of the loop on what happens to our lovable JS character.
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#13 Post by Shermy »

Miss Q wrote:I am a bit confused as the 6th book just came out, however episode 5 and 6 are already 'in the can' and were written by TS and Brandman (sp) NOT Robert Parker.
Damn, the new book snuck up on me. Now there's already a huge waiting list for it at the library, so I may just have to buy it.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. :)

Carmen
MPI

#14 Post by Carmen »

Shermy, buy it, I am nearly through and it`s a great one.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Miss Q »

I agree with Carmen the new book is great!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock