New Jesse Stone Book

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

New Jesse Stone Book

#1 Post by Miss Q »

Hey gang,

Just noticed there is a new Jesse Stone book coming out soon. Its called Night and Day and will be released Feb 24th 2009.

The more books there are the more of a chance we will keep seeing TS playing the role!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Maybe one of us should write a Magnum book and see if he wil do a movie based on it? Hey, we can dream can't we?

Carmen
MPI

#3 Post by Carmen »

I ordered that one last week, thought it`ll come out Feb 2. :cry: I am out of reading material
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#4 Post by golfmobile »

I finished this new one ("Night and Day") last week. It was okay.

Spoiler!!!!!! (don't go any further if you don't want to know)

Thank GAWD!!! Jesse finally dumps Jen in this one at the end. It was worth reading the book just to have him FINALLY do that!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

I finally got around to reading this one. It's a pretty lightweight affair, but a fun read nonetheless.

This is mainly due to the fact that it's nearly impossible not to picture Selleck in the role at this point. My favorite entries are also the ones that capture the small town feel of Paradise and feature a relatively simple crime. (And the latest "villain" may be the simplest one yet! :lol: )

**spoilers**

golfmobile wrote:Thank GAWD!!! Jesse finally dumps Jen in this one at the end. It was worth reading the book just to have him FINALLY do that!
No ****! :lol:

Thank God Parker may have finally heard the cries to ditch this annoying character forever. I'm all for a character carrying a torch, but there's a limit to how far it should be taken. After her little stunt in High Profile, she should've been booted out of Paradise for good. :lol:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#6 Post by golfmobile »

Agatha,

AMEN!!!!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

Seems like everybody hates her.

Shermy, I always had trouble reading the women he dated were older than Jesse Stone, otherwise I pictured TS as Jesse all the time.
(Note: 'otherwise' is the wrong word in this sentence, but can`t think of the right one now, Golf?? Help, please :!:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#8 Post by golfmobile »

Carmen,

I don't have a problem with your use of "otherwise" in that sentence. It makes perfect sense. You could easily substitute "other than that" or "except for that choice," and the sense of what you are saying is quite clear. I don't recall Jesse's always dating older women -- he sure can't do that in the TV movies, though, can he? "They" never put the older guy with an older gal -- except maybe that one movie with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, but I think that's pretty much the exception. His previous romantic hit was with Helen Hunt, and she's certainly much younger. Speaking of HH, wasn't she kicked around as being the one to play Sunny Randall? I wouldn't mind seeing her in that role playing opposite TS as JS.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#9 Post by Shermy »

Carmen wrote:Shermy, I always had trouble reading the women he dated were older than Jesse Stone, otherwise I pictured TS as Jesse all the time.
Yeah, there's also the occasional mention of Stone being a much younger guy, but I still picture Magnum anyway. :lol:

It almost feel like Parker now writes the character as if Selleck were delivering the dialogue.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I read (past tense - pronounce "red" not "reed") the books pre-TS' playing the character, so I had a hard time initially putting TS into that character. In my opinion, he plays the character a lot differently than I had imagined the character. When I read the books, I still "see" "my" Jesse Stone, and when I watch the movies, it's like a totally different story. I find TS' interpretation much gloomier than I picture the character being. Not that it's wrong, it's just different. I can like both, but in my mind they are separate.

JMO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

jenelia
Ensign

#11 Post by jenelia »

Jesse Stone (Selleck) is a New England police chief investigating a ... Having said all that, this adaptation of the Parker book is exceptionally well done.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#12 Post by Shermy »

I just finished Split Image, the latest and presumably final Jesse Stone book. It was a little sad to realize that Parker didn't live to see it published.

Ironically, it works rather well as a concluding chapter to both the Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall series. (Although moreso for the latter.)

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#13 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Jesse Stone is alive! Michael Brandman who collaborated with the late Robert B. Parker for the Jesse Stone movies is writing new Jesse Stone novels.
The next one will be out on September 13th.

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Parkers-Ki ... rd_title_0