Hawaiian quarter

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

Hawaiian quarter

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

I just got my first Hawai'i state quarter today. It has King Kamehameha and this: "Ua mau ke ea oka aina I ko pono". Is this the state motto? Or does it translate to "No Tom Selleck - No Movie!" ????
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for these. Too bad the Ferrari isn't on the state quarter, and I found the translation: The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Hawaiian quarter

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Frodoleader wrote:I just got my first Hawai'i state quarter today. It has King Kamehameha and this: "Ua mau ke ea oka aina I ko pono". Is this the state motto? Or does it translate to "No Tom Selleck - No Movie!" ????
LOL!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#4 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

I'm with you -- I like Frodo's translation better!!

:lol: :lol:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#5 Post by Italian Ice »

Any of you guys get one yet? I have a few friends scouting for me, but they don't live in HI
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#6 Post by golfmobile »

They're quite prevalent here in Georgia. I've pulled a couple from general circulation to save, but then I've spent a bunch too. Do you want me to send you one?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I have one, but I haven't noticed others. Then again, I really don't pay a whole lot of attention the the quarters anymore. I will start keeping an eye out for you guys though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

I just need Oklahoma and Alaska to complete the set. You've eluded me so far, but I WILL find you..... oh yes I will! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've had both at one time or another. I kept the Hawaii quarter but spent the rest.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#10 Post by Agatha »

I, too, have been saving the "new" quarters. My Dad got me started. He had a deal with the gal at his bank and she saved him enough for both of us every time a new one came out. So I'm on my own since he died.

It's interesting that sometimes a state is all over the place and sometimes they're very hard to find. Hawaii is an example of one that's been hard for me to find. In fact, I haven't found a single one. Thought I'd stumbled on a bunch of Hawaiis one day when I got several new quarters in my change at the grocery store but...it was Washington DC! I didn't know they were going to do a Washington DC. And there's no place for a Washington DC in any of my books.

I also made a mistake when I bought my books...they have a place for both the Denver minted quarters and the Philadelphia minted quarters. Need I say that my books are pretty much half empty? I picked up a few Philadelphia mints on a trip to New Orleans several years ago but we just don't see them out here.

Funny story...I was at a store and the young man at the counter gave me a "new" quarter in my change. I have eight sets going so when that happens, I always ask if I can buy a couple of bucks worth of whatever state is newly released. He rummaged around in his drawer and then said, "Sorry. That was my last one. All I have is "un-quarters"." "Un-quarters?" I asked. "Yeah, the old ones." he said.

I felt a little sorry for the quarters that have served us so well for so many years. :wink:

GREAT translation, Frodoleader! I wonder how you say "No Tom Selleck - No Movie" in Hawaiian? It could be OUR motto!! Maybe we could have coins made...with Tom Selleck on the front and...hmmmm...what on the back? The Ferrari? TC's chopper? James's avatar?

?????

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

Brilliant, Frodo! You da man... :lol:
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

James, just found an Alaska going through our Petty Cash box here at work. Do you want it? or does it count only if you find it yourself?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

P.S. James, Larry found an Oklahoma at home. You want both? Neither is mint, both have been out in circulation, so they're not proof. Let me know if you want me to mail them to you.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for the offer golf, but I need to find them myself. I've "found" all the others, and by golly I'm going to find Oklahoma and Alaska! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#15 Post by Italian Ice »

Golf, that would be cool.

I will then send you a CDN quarter in exchange, unless you already have one......
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "