So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

zudnic
Ensign

Re: So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you dr

#81 Post by zudnic »

I have a few cars. My closest to being "Magnum" related is my Porsche 928. As most fans are aware, originally Magnum was going to borrow a 928. But the Porsche was not a good car for in car scenes. I'm a 1970's kid and teen in the 1980's. So I tend too collect cars from those decades.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by eagle »

zudnic wrote:I have a few cars. My closest to being "Magnum" related is my Porsche 928. As most fans are aware, originally Magnum was going to borrow a 928. But the Porsche was not a good car for in car scenes. I'm a 1970's kid and teen in the 1980's. So I tend too collect cars from those decades.
Interesting, I thought it was that Porsche didn't want to participate in the show.

Anyway, my car is a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T, silver with black interior. It's no Porsche/Audi/Ferrari, but the turbo makes it lots of fun, especially in ~50º dry weather.

zudnic
Ensign

#83 Post by zudnic »

Before production began the producers wanted to use a 928. Porsche wouldn't modify the sunroof, make it larger for filming. So they got the Ferrari instead.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by eagle »

zudnic wrote:Before production began the producers wanted to use a 928. Porsche wouldn't modify the sunroof, make it larger for filming. So they got the Ferrari instead.
Gotcha. Neat, thanks for sharing.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

My car is closer to Magnum's than any car here.... Magnum's real car, one he owned rather than borrowed. :D

Here's mine. (although not a convertible)
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#86 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:My car is closer to Magnum's than any car here.... Magnum's real car, one he owned rather than borrowed. :D

Beautiful bug and brilliant response. It's interesting to remember that actually [img]purchasing[/img] a Ferrari is probably the most un-Magngum like thing one can do.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Beautiful bug and brilliant response. It's interesting to remember that actually [img]purchasing[/img] a Ferrari is probably the most un-Magngum like thing one can do.
Thanks. I always "downshift and accelerate when I pass the guest house". :P Actually, I don't have a guest house... yet. (but I'll build one eventually)

Yes, it's strange when you remember that most of the great things that Magnum has weren't really purchased by him. He didn't buy the Rolex - it was a gift. He borrows lenses, cameras, tape players. Probably the most expensive thing he actually bought is the surf ski. (not counting Ferrari "wind screens", rear bumper, and replacement telephoto lens he didn't actually need to replace :D )

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#88 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:My car is closer to Magnum's than any car here.... Magnum's real car, one he owned rather than borrowed. :D

As the great Mel Tillis said in Cannonball Run ... "p..p..p..p..perfect"
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Unfortunately, my Bug has started rusting to hell since I got my beach front "Estate". As Higgins said in "Holmes Is Where the Heart Is", "corrosion works very quickly in this climate". If only I had used cadmium yellow primer...

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Did you see the sunrise? My Bug did.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Sam »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Did you see the sunrise? My Bug did.

Did you ever mention the year if so I missed it it looks very much like the 1965 that I had.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

It's a 1958 - first year with the squared back window. 1965 is similar, but had bigger tail lights and turn signals, different steering wheel, crest, various other minor changes and ...an actual fuel gauge! (what a luxury)

I just realized - next month my Bug will be 60. How time flies.
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Sam »

I had two vw's... the 65 and in 73 I bought the Super Beetle... I don't remember what was super about it except it was 3 in longer and had the curved windshield.. I liked that car.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Steve »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Did you see the sunrise? My Bug did.

Great picture...

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Steve wrote:Great picture...
Thanks! It looks even better full sized in the >4K original - but that wouldn't fit very well in this forum. Too bad there's not auto sizing of photos here.