So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#51 Post by Dervish »

Volvo.

It's probably more of a Higgins car. :D

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#52 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

When I was in high school (when Magnum PI was first being run on TV), my "plan" was to be a merchant marine engineer, drive a Ferrari, and possibly live in Hawaii. Well, none of that quite happened, although I did get a degree in engineering and I have had some decent cars. I have visited HI a number of times, but never felt a desire to move there (although, it is sounding better everyday!!).

My first real car was a 1990 Mustang 5.0 and I beefed up the suspension and intake manifold. It was a great car. My next fun car was a 1999 BMW M3. Those cars aside (I had each for about 3 or 4 years), I have usually driven SUVs. I now drive an Audi Q5, which is a smaller SUV that handles very well.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Coops »

I had to buy a daily driver due to a change in job requirements. So here she is, my 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo LT. I'll get the 308 one day...

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Danno »

I used to have a red, convertible MGB... but it had so many mechanical problems I had to sell it. When it was working, my wife and I would drive down to the beach. It was pretty suave.... until gasoline started to pour out of the carbs and the fuel tank had to be replaced.

I now drive a very un-sexy Mazda 323. Not sure if you have them in the States.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#55 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

They don't sell the 323 in the states anymore. I had a Mazda 3 before I bought my Mustang. It was a very nice car, and I would have kept it if not for wanting a Mustang forever.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Coops »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Coops, I'll bet you can't wait for the new Camaro to come out. I think they llok great, and I love what the manufacturers are trying to do by capturing the classic styles.
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. Yes, I am very excited. It's been an up and down ride for me though, until I could see it first hand I really didn't know how I felt about it. Now my best buddy, who has 3 Camaros, has a 2010 and I must say it really is an astonishing car. The more I ride in it the more I like it. Drive one, I think you'll agree. BTW, his is a 2SS 6-speed, the one with the LS3 426hp engine.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#57 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've seen a few on the road but haven't been in one. I think the Challenger is nice as well. I love having some American cars with a little personality and power!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#58 Post by N1095A »

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by MACattack »

I'll get my red Ferrari someday!
I just don't give a damn!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#60 Post by Pahonu »

I have an '88 VW van, but its the camper version and basic blue. I love that thing, and I bet TC would still be driving his. My wife has a convertible beetle that we drive up and down the coast here in SoCal. That's about as close as I get to MPI. Not that I'm complaining.
Last edited by Pahonu on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by MACattack »

LBC!
I just don't give a damn!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Coops »

UPDATE!

My ride has had some work done in the last 2 weeks. After the work (cam, heads, clutch) it dynoed 412hp/387tq at the rear wheels. That's up from 333hp/347tq w/ exhaust only.

SWEET!

56E 478
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by 56E 478 »

Rolling in an '03 Ford Ranger,got a '65 VW Cabriolet project waiting for a revival. Thinking of looking for an early 80's Vanagon to do another IH replica,since selling my first attempt some 10 years ago.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#64 Post by Styles Bitchley »

56E 478 wrote:Rolling in an '03 Ford Ranger,got a '65 VW Cabriolet project waiting for a revival. Thinking of looking for an early 80's Vanagon to do another IH replica,since selling my first attempt some 10 years ago.
Any photos of the first attempt? Finding an 80s vanagon in good condition is a bit of a challenge these days, no?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

56E 478
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#65 Post by 56E 478 »

Aloha Styles-I gotta search for the pics. It was an '82 and I had it in primer and the lines laid down when I had to sell it,due to a nasty divorce. Instead of the IH colors,the next owner did it up rasta style-red,gold,and green. The idea came about when I tended to the aid of the real TC Vanagon in Waikiki one day (he needed a jump). Van was a common sight in the area at the time,and I was parked next to him. We talked for awhile and he kindly refused my $,as I tried to buy it on the spot! For him,it was a 'keeper'. Not long after,I decided to build my own. Was 5 months into the project,before the Big D occurred. Vanagons are still prevailant here,unlike the T2s,which sell fast when posted on the buy and sell. However,I do notice that the early 80's vans are harder to find,compared to ten years ago.