Another Poll -- in honor of TS' gun collection

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Miss Q »

We have two handguns, a Magnum and a Ruger, both locked away in the safe and several hunting riffles... ammo stored in a different part of the house.
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Sam »

Thanks MaximRecoil,
I thought it looked familiar.My Uncle Sam let me use one for two months.Basic Training,Fort Campbell Kentucky..1967

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaximRecoil »

MaximRecoil wrote:I have a Colt Government Model .45 ACP that I bought new-in-the-box in 1991 when I was 16 (my father signed for it; I payed for it with money from my part-time job at the time).
Here are some pictures of my gun that I posted about previously:

Here is a picture of Magnum's Colt Government Model from the end of the pilot episode ("Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii"):

Note the silver-colored trigger (satin nickel-finished steel) and the fully checkered walnut grips on Magnum's gun. My gun is about 10 years newer than the one Magnum used, and Colt was using black triggers and rubber grips by that time, so I got a satin nickel trigger from an older Colt and some military-specification checkered walnut grips from Herrett's Stocks, Inc.
Last edited by MaximRecoil on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

Nice pictures, nice firearm, Maxim. Thanks for posting the pix.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

PhatCat
Admiral

#35 Post by PhatCat »

That's awesome. Thanks for the pics!

BR

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#36 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice pics. I'm also impressed you customized it to look like one Magnum used.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MaximRecoil »

Thanks for the comments folks.
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Nice pics. I'm also impressed you customized it to look like one Magnum used.
Finding the satin nickel trigger wasn't all that easy. Colt hasn't made them in about 25 years. I finally found an auction for one and had to spend more than I wanted to, because there were like a dozen other bidders who wanted it pretty badly as well.

The grips took some work to find too. The grips on Magnum's gun are not the grips that originally came on it, though they are similar. Colt Government Models of that era originally came with the same type of fully checkered walnut grips, except they had gold-colored Colt medallions on them, like on this gun:

For Magnum's gun, they put plain fully checkered walnut grips on there, like were used on military M1911A1s from about 1926 to about 1941 (at which point they switched to plastic versions of that style of grips) and commercial Colt Government Models of that era. I don't know why they put grips like that on Magnum's gun; maybe they wanted to give it a more military/no frills look, or maybe they didn't want to do free advertising for Colt.

In any event, finding plain military-specification fully-checkered walnut grips (M1911A1-style) was not as easy as I thought it would be. Now there are plenty of checkered walnut grips for 1911-type guns out there with no medallions on them, but nearly all of them are done in the "double diamond" pattern (M1911-style), like so:

Finally someone mentioned Herrett's Stocks, and I thought to myself: "Why didn't I think of that?" Herrett's has been around since the '50s and has a great reputation for quality. When I got the grips they were nicer than I expected. The checkering was perfectly done and the fit was perfect as well. They also have a nice, subtle grain pattern that I was very pleased with.

MagnumPI
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#38 Post by MagnumPI »

i do own guns, for saftey and for hunting, i have strict gun rules, and i dosent let anybody touch them without me checking that they're empty first !
P.I

Colt m1911
Rem 870

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#39 Post by N1095A »

While the number and type of guns I own at any given time is something I won't reveal on a public forum, I will say that I've been an avid collector since I was 14 years old and inherited my Dad's collection. At times, (and recently) some have had to go due to financial requirements, (needing to eat and pay rent), I do strongly believe that it is not only the right, but the duty of every law abiding American to own and know how to use firearms. In countries that prohibit firearm ownership, those governments have effectively left their law abiding citizens defenseless, and left only the criminals with firearms.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N1095A

#41 Post by N1095A »

I'm not going to get into a gun debate. For one, this isn't the forum for that, and they do tend to get ugly as people on both sides have views they feel very strongly about. Right or wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#42 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N1095A

#43 Post by N1095A »

It's all cool my friend. We're all friends here. I want to keep it that way.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#44 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit