A classic rock fave of mine . . .

youtu.be/gSItDuo8Wss
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Live Music Tread!

#34 Post by ConchRepublican »

I became a true Sabbath fan after they split from Ozzy. Since their reunion I have been lucky enough to see them 4 times. When I finally heard this song live it gave me chills.

youtu.be/gvAsHO7DJ9s
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#35 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:Here's another DC legend... Danny Gatton (aka "The Humbler", "The Telemaster", "The world's greatest unknown guitarist"). Sunday evening at Gallagher's in Washington D.C in the early 80's. He sadly committed suicide in 1994.

youtu.be/MS5XH84mmI4
Cool tune! Sad to hear about his suicide, I hate hearing things like that . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Steve »

Keepin it light, Dutch.....

youtu.be/StklzBlq990

ConchRepublican

#37 Post by ConchRepublican »

My first Metallica concert was 1986 I believe, they opened for Ozzy on his Ultimate Sin tour. It was with Cliff and they were incredible. My next time was when they were headlining the ... And Justice Tour, both times in the Brendan Byrne Arena in New Jersey. This image stayed in my head - during Creeping Death a fog rolls out from the stage . . . all you saw were fists pumping from the mists chanting "Die, Die, Die" . . . James was in total control of the audience. I remember thinking if he said right there for everyone to rush the concession stands it would have happened.

When Metallica was Metallica.

youtu.be/XDGaQNaVvvY
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:I became a true Sabbath fan after they split from Ozzy. Since their reunion I have been lucky enough to see them 4 times. When I finally heard this song live it gave me chills.

youtu.be/gvAsHO7DJ9s
Awesome, Conch! Bringing the Sabbath! Love it! :) One of the all-time great rock bands in history! I'm more partial to Ozzy-era Sabbath, myself. The self-titled debut album in 1970, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4! The very creation of heavy metal as we know it! :)

For me, Ozzy's first two solo albums, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, will forever be at the top of my playlist! I adore those two albums like there's no tomorrow! 1980 and 1981. 23 year-old guitar phenom Randy Rhoads on guitar, Uriah Heep vet's Bob Daisely on bass and Lee Kerslake on drums, Rainbow and Sabbath vet Don Airey on keyboards! LOVE everything about those first two solo albums from Ozzy! Except for the minor fact that Sharon Osbourne (Ozzy's new wife at this time) tried to omit Daisley's and Kerslake's contributiontion to these two albums when they were released on CD's. They re-recorded the bass and drums parts with different musicians and didn't give credit to the original musicians. It went to court for years, what a travesty! It was eventually settled out of court. Anyway, here is a live clip from that era ("Mr. Crowley" live, 1981, Rochester, NY).

Crazy side note: I saw the Diary of a Madman tour in April of 1982 at the Cap Centre in DC. My second live show ever! Randy Rhoads was tragically killed in a plane crash while on tour with Ozzy in March of 1982. I'll never forget hearing about that on the news! The show featured Brad Gillis (of Night Ranger fame) subbing in for Rhoads, with Rudy Sarzo on bass (replacing Daisely from the studio recordings). Crazy to think about that now! Those two albums still resonate strongly with me today! :)

youtu.be/G3LvhdFEOqs
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican

#39 Post by ConchRepublican »

YES!

For me 2 albums are head and shoulders above the rest - Born to Run and Diary of a Madman. That Ozzy record is just something special. Blizzard is great but has a couple of weak spots to me (No Bone Movies anyone?), Diary is just transcendant IMHO. Randy raised everything .... that outro to Tonight may be my favorite guitar solo of all time.

It must have been amazing to see Ozzy at that time. I was introduced to the Demon Lord through that Speak of the Devil concert with Brad Gillis on VHS. Seeing Ozzy next in September at Jones Beach on his No More Tours 2 farewell tour.

As for Sabbath, you nailed it. Master of Reality is my favorite of theirs but you can't go wrong with any of those records.
CoziTV Superfan spot

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by MHTR »

Here's another (with a bit of Hotel California & Highway Star thrown in). Don't care much for the tone of the guitars here though.

youtu.be/MLIWGQGJVd0

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#41 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:YES!

For me 2 albums are head and shoulders above the rest - Born to Run and Diary of a Madman. That Ozzy record is just something special. Blizzard is great but has a couple of weak spots to me (No Bone Movies anyone?), Diary is just transcendant IMHO. Randy raised everything .... that outro to Tonight may be my favorite guitar solo of all time.

It must have been amazing to see Ozzy at that time. I was introduced to the Demon Lord through that Speak of the Devil concert with Brad Gillis on VHS. Seeing Ozzy next in September at Jones Beach on his No More Tours 2 farewell tour.

As for Sabbath, you nailed it. Master of Reality is my favorite of theirs but you can't go wrong with any of those records.
I feel your passion for it, Conch! :)

Yeah, it was crazy! I was all of 12 years-old at the time! My Dad and his girlfriend took me to the show. I missed Randy by all of one month! All I knew about Ozzy at the time was: Crazy Train, Iron Man, his lead guitarist was just killed in a plane crash, and that Ozzy bit the heads off bats! The stage set up was a gothic castle. I remember so much of that show, including my Dad and his girl smoking some oddly-smelling stuff! :)

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong about the musicians in that 1981 Ozzy clip. By that time, Kerslake and Daisley had already been sacked! That's Rudy Sarzo on bass and Tommy Aldridge on drums! Sarzo was with Quiet Riot in the early days with Randy Rhoads.

I love Ozzy's reaction at the end. You can tell, he's like, "Holy crap! I've got one hell of a good band here!" :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

This song always brings a big smile to my face. GREAT live version here!...

youtu.be/IDlpETyqweE

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Steve »

Sam should enjoy this one; Tedeschi Trucks Band with, Widespread Panic. I'm hoping to see these guys this Summer (Bob Seger as well if his back gets better)

youtu.be/YW_Ai2jgZGE

ConchRepublican

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

My cousin is in Epcot this afternoon and Night Ranger is playing the Flower and Garden Festival, a three night stand (3 sets a day) that I'm sure will have this song on the setlist a few times.

youtu.be/aoY6l5mp8G8
CoziTV Superfan spot

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#45 Post by marlboro »

Love Sabbath. For some reason I went on a huge Dio binge a few years ago. I was never a huge fan, but for some reason I suddenly could not stop listening to his stuff. Did you know he recorded records when he was in high school? He was making records way back in the 50s if you can believe it:

youtu.be/t0Av1ZuGFII

Here he is in his prime with Ritchie Blackmooe and Rainbow:

youtu.be/L9l7dDljjPU

And just before he died with Sabbath:

youtu.be/7k63dAKsv3A