Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red

#1 Post by eagle »

Hi, all.

Today I received my Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red.

This is both my first non-quartz watch and my first watch with a GMT feature.

Here are my initial thoughts:
  • This watch is heavy compared to my Swatches. My heaviest Swatch Irony Chrono is around 125 grams. This one is about 160 grams.
  • This watch is very nice.
  • Other than being heavy, this watch is extremely comfortable on my wrist; I did not want to take it off tonight. In a few days, I won't think of it as heavy.
  • The red/blue is very cool. I was concerned that maybe I should have bought one with a black bezel, but the blue is not as bright as it looks in most of the pics you see online. The red/blue is perfect for me, and is exactly what I have wanted for 25 years.
  • The GMT function is also really neat. I'm glad I got it.
  • I think ~$540 is a great price here. That's for the watch and an extra bezel, shipped to USA.
  • I find that when I am looking at this watch on my wrist, I do not think "I wish this were a Rolex" or "I am looking at a Rolex." I don't wish that, and I know it isn't one, and my mind isn't pretending that it is one.
I'll post more pics later, but here are some initial pics.

Summary: I am extremely impressed with this watch.

Last edited by eagle on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red

#2 Post by eagle »

I'm in Eastern Time, and the astute observer will note two things: First, that the GMT complication is set to GMT (when the bezel arrow is pointing to the 12). Second, that the current bezel offset is set to Honolulu time. Another homage to Magnum. :magnum:

(This is not true in the first pic, which was taken before I set the GMT complication.)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sounds awesome! I can’t see the photos, however. I’ve been using Facebook to post photos here. Add a photo to Facebook and then set the permissions to “only me” and it won’t show up for anyone else. You can then use the image link here.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Sorry about that - I have updated the image links. They should work now.

I guess I'll completely give up on Dropbox image sharing now. :(

One other observation: this watch is smaller than I thought it would be. It is almost exactly the same size as my Swatch Irony Chrono "Browned," but the dial is about the same size as my smaller Swatch Irony Chrono "Blustery Blue." Soon I'll post a pic of them all together.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Man, that really is a. ICe looking watch! Nice buy!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by eagle »

Here are a couple other pics, with my Swatches.

From left to right:
Swatch Chrono "Colossal"; purchased in 1993 in Interlaken, Switzerland
Swatch Irony Chrony "Secret Agent Yellow"; purchased in 1996 or so, in Boston, Mass
Swatch Irony Chrono "Blustery Blue"; gift from my wife in 2007
Swatch Irony Chrono "Browned"; gift from my parents in 2015 I think (purchased in Switzerland)
Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red; purchased on 12/28, arrived 1/10

As I mentioned, the watch is smaller than I thought it would be: the dial is about the size of the Secret Agent & Blustery, but with the bezel the watch is almost identical in size to the Browned.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Man, that really is a. ICe looking watch! Nice buy!
Thanks. It really is. I am very impressed, and so far my recommendation would be that others who have longed for this type of homage should consider this watch. The price-to-value ratio seems to be very good.