Modelo

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Modelo

#1 Post by Chris109 »

Anybody catch the commercials for Modelo beer? They always show Hispanics drinking it, which is fine, but they use the music
from Serio Leone's Man with No Name trilogy, most filmed in Italy, by Ennio Morricone who was Italian.

Reminds me of a commercial a few years back for some kind of candy (or maybe yogurt) and they used the song Yummy, Yummy, Yummy by Ohio Express which is about oral sex. If it was yogurt, that would be even better cause I remember a woman was really enjoying the thing.

Don't these admen do any research?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Modelo

#2 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:10 pm Anybody catch the commercials for Modelo beer? They always show Hispanics drinking it, which is fine, but they use the music
from Serio Leone's Man with No Name trilogy, most filmed in Italy, by Ennio Morricone who was Italian.

Reminds me of a commercial a few years back for some kind of candy (or maybe yogurt) and they used the song Yummy, Yummy, Yummy by Ohio Express which is about oral sex. If it was yogurt, that would be even better cause I remember a woman was really enjoying the thing.

They’re essentially trying to get viewers to remember the brand name, which they seem to have done for you. Any snippet of music or lyrics is fair game if it fits with the ad’s visuals and theme regardless of its original meaning. My sister-in-law works for an agency in New York and we’ve talked a lot. I don’t remember the agency but she was on the Fabreze campaign when it first started over 20 years ago. My son is finishing up a degree in marketing and we’ve had some great conversations too. It’s so much about brand recognition now. They’re not selling you beer. Their branding Modelo.

A lot of people don’t realize that. They’re not really focused on selling you a product, but rather getting that brand into your gray matter with a positive association. Then it’s front and center if and when you do decide to make a purchase. That’s why so few TV ads today actually tout the products quality or durability or whatever. It’s highly effective compared to older methods. The music and visuals are much more about associating that positive feeling with the brand name.

The Fabreze campaign was an interesting anomaly though. The product was initially marketed as a way to get rid of unpleasant smells. It sold poorly until Proctor & Gamble realised that people become accustomed to smells in their own homes, and stop noticing them even when they are overpowering (like the smell of multiple cats in a household). The marketing then switched to linking the brand to pleasant smells in general and overall good cleaning habits. This resulted in a massive increase in sales. Then, after the product became well established, the marketing went back to emphasising odor elimination properties also.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:32 am
Chris109 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:10 pm Anybody catch the commercials for Modelo beer? They always show Hispanics drinking it, which is fine, but they use the music

They’re essentially trying to get viewers to remember the brand name, which they seem to have done for you. Any snippet of music or lyrics is fair game if it fits with the ad’s visuals and theme regardless of its original meaning. My sister-in-law works for an agency in New York and we’ve talked a lot. I don’t remember the agency but she was on the Fabreze campaign when it first started over 20 years ago. My son is finishing up a degree in marketing and we’ve had some great conversations too. It’s so much about brand recognition now. They’re not selling you beer. Their branding Modelo.

A lot of people don’t realize that. They’re not really focused on selling you a product, but rather getting that brand into your gray matter with a positive association. Then it’s front and center if and when you do decide to make a purchase. That’s why so few TV ads today actually tout the products quality or durability or whatever. It’s highly effective compared to older methods. The music and visuals are much more about associating that positive feeling with the brand name.

The Fabreze campaign was an interesting anomaly though. The product was initially marketed as a way to get rid of unpleasant smells. It sold poorly until Proctor & Gamble realised that people become accustomed to smells in their own homes, and stop noticing them even when they are overpowering (like the smell of multiple cats in a household). The marketing then switched to linking the brand to pleasant smells in general and overall good cleaning habits. This resulted in a massive increase in sales. Then, after the product became well established, the marketing went back to emphasising odor elimination properties also.
Pahonu,
Could you explain to me the idea behind the commercial with Jimmy "dyn-o-mite" Walker that literally run 4 times an hour, every hour? He is deliberately LOUD and obnoxious.
I know there must be calculation behind using a one trick pony, no talent oaf like Walker, when they could have used a dignified spokesman such as Walker's co-star John Amos.
The commercial totally alienates me, I'd rather be in a isolation room with the Meow Mix commercial of legend continually piped in instead, the one that just goes
"Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow" on and on, till one is compelled to cough up a fur ball.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:18 am

Pahonu,
Could you explain to me the idea behind the commercial with Jimmy "dyn-o-mite" Walker that literally run 4 times an hour, every hour? He is deliberately LOUD and obnoxious.
I know there must be calculation behind using a one trick pony, no talent oaf like Walker, when they could have used a dignified spokesman such as Walker's co-star John Amos.
The commercial totally alienates me, I'd rather be in a isolation room with the Meow Mix commercial of legend continually piped in instead, the one that just goes
"Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow" on and on, till one is compelled to cough up a fur ball.
Aren't you forgetting the same commercial except with THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK OF ALLLLLLL TIME Joe (I wanna kiss you (Suzy Kolber even if you're a lesbian)) Namath? They usually alternate slots. First it's Namath, then it JJ, then it's JJ, then it's Namath.

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu,
I’m no expert, but I think that’s a Medicare supplement add which is not about branding like major labels. It’s a repeat it over and over again, beat people over the head, kind of ad aimed at senior citizens. They also typically aren’t on networks or in primetime because it’s too expensive. I’ve noticed over the years that many adds aimed at seniors often have very loud, repetitious audio, which I can understand at a basic level. I feel qualified to say that at someone who has started receiving AARP materials! :lol: :lol: :lol: I don’t actually have any noticeable hearing loss, but my wife does.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 pm
Pahonu,
[/quote]

Pahonu wrote:
I’m no expert, but I think that’s a Medicare supplement ad which is not about branding like major labels. It’s a repeat it over and over again, beat people over the head, kind of ad aimed at senior citizens. They also typically aren’t on networks or in primetime because it’s too expensive. I’ve noticed over the years that many adds aimed at seniors often have very loud, repetitious audio, which I can understand at a basic level. I feel qualified to say that at someone who has started receiving AARP materials! :lol: :lol: :lol: I don’t actually have any noticeable hearing loss, but my wife does.
[/quote]

Pahonu,
Yes, it's the Medicare supplement ad, they run it over and over on MeTV Plus during Hawaiian Eye and Hawaii Five - 0. This is adding insult to injury as right now I am sitting thru season 11
of Hawaii Five - 0 and it's even worse than Ivan described it. Tonight was a real stinker, "A Very Personal Matter" that wasted Cameron Mitchell but did feature the striking beauty Simone
Griffeth.

Chris109 wrote: Aren't you forgetting the same commercial except with THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK OF ALLLLLLL TIME Joe (I wanna kiss you (Suzy Kolber even if you're a lesbian)) Namath? They usually alternate slots. First it's Namath, then it JJ, then it's JJ, then it's Namath.

Chris,
You are right, they pair the Walker/Nameth ads. A few years ago Nameth was sitting in on a football game and was stupid drunk, come the next commercial he was gone and no one even
mentioned his absence. And recently I saw him on a Dick Cavett rerun when he was promoting a biker movie with Ann Margret and he was a arrogant smirking ass, clearly high and loving himself.
This mutt is all fake image, look at his numbers and he must be the worst qualified person ever to get in to Canton.
Hmm, sorry to go off topic, I have a habit of doing so.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:44 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 pm

Chris,
You are right, they pair the Walker/Nameth ads. A few years ago Nameth was sitting in on a football game and was stupid drunk, come the next commercial he was gone and no one even
mentioned his absence. And recently I saw him on a Dick Cavett rerun when he was promoting a biker movie with Ann Margret and he was a arrogant smirking ass, clearly high and loving himself.
This mutt is all fake image, look at his numbers and he must be the worst qualified person ever to get in to Canton.
Hmm, sorry to go off topic, I have a habit of doing so.
I know what you mean about the HOF, but, he did make the NFL mainstream with his mink coat and panty hose. Unfortunately, what he have today is all showing off.

But, I do believe he has straightened himself out with regards to his drinking. So I will give him credit for that. Not an easy thing to do.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu,
I never had a problem with Jimmie Walker. Unless there's something I don't know about his personal life. He was clearly the star of GOOD TIMES and for good reason. I know Esther Rolle didn't like him for stealing the spotlight and was one of the reasons she left the show, then came back. But his J.J. character was a big draw on the show. Without him it just wouldn't have been the same. Kind of like HAPPY DAYS without the Fonz. Or TAGS without Barney. They may not receive top billing but they are clearly the main draw on their respective shows.

I do remember the Jimmie Walker commercial by the way. I do think it's aimed at senior citizens. Perhaps it's because their hearing isn't very good so he has to yell at them. Or maybe that's just his schtick. I'll tell you one thing though - his yelling can't even come close to that of Gilbert Gottfried. The ultimate old yeller! :lol: Now, that's one dude that I could NEVER stand! Don't understand how anyone could. The first time I ever came across that shrill voice was when I was watching ALADDIN way back in the day when it first came out. Years later I saw some commercial with Gottfried and realized that's the dude that voiced that annoying parrot Iago. His looks were just as unpleasant as his voice. Looked like a sour lemon. Then I found out that he had a real potty mouth. Just a total turn-off for me. :?

Pahonu

#9 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:09 pm

Pahonu,
I never had a problem with Jimmie Walker. Unless there's something I don't know about his personal life. He was clearly the star of GOOD TIMES and for good reason. I know Esther Rolle didn't like him for stealing the spotlight and was one of the reasons she left the show, then came back. But his J.J. character was a big draw on the show. Without him it just wouldn't have been the same. Kind of like HAPPY DAYS without the Fonz. Or TAGS without Barney. They may not receive top billing but they are clearly the main draw on their respective shows.

I do remember the Jimmie Walker commercial by the way. I do think it's aimed at senior citizens. Perhaps it's because their hearing isn't very good so he has to yell at them. Or maybe that's just his schtick. I'll tell you one thing though - his yelling can't even come close to that of Gilbert Gottfried. The ultimate old yeller! :lol: Now, that's one dude that I could NEVER stand! Don't understand how anyone could. The first time I ever came across that shrill voice was when I was watching ALADDIN way back in the day when it first came out. Years later I saw some commercial with Gottfried and realized that's the dude that voiced that annoying parrot Iago. His looks were just as unpleasant as his voice. Looked like a sour lemon. Then I found out that he had a real potty mouth. Just a total turn-off for me. :?
Did you know that Jimmy Walker and John Amos are only 7 years apart in age! Esther Rolle was actually old enough to be his mother. I believe she was in her early 50’s and Amos in his mid-30’s when the show began, close to 20 years apart.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Ivan wrote:
Did you know that Jimmy Walker and John Amos are only 7 years apart in age! Esther Rolle was actually old enough to be his mother. I believe she was in her early 50’s and Amos
in his mid-30’s when the show began, close to 20 years apart.

Ivan,
That reminds me. On The Munsters, "Grandpa" Al Lewis was only a year older than his daughter "Lilly", Yvonne DeCarlo, so to keep her happy the producers
claimed Lewis was much older, which is why when he died some outlets listed him as almost 100.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The lesson I want you to learn is that it doesn't matter what you look like. Whether you are tall or short; or fat or thin; or ugly or handsome – like your father – or you can be black, or yellow, or white.
It doesn't matter. What matters is the size of your heart and the strength of your character."
...Herman Munster(Fred Gwynne)

Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:34 am
Did you know that Jimmy Walker and John Amos are only 7 years apart in age! Esther Rolle was actually old enough to be his mother. I believe she was in her early 50’s and Amos in his mid-30’s when the show began, close to 20 years apart.
:lol: Pahonu, you already asked me that same question on the Harry-O thread just a few weeks ago. Yes, I know all this. :)

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:00 am Ivan wrote:
Did you know that Jimmy Walker and John Amos are only 7 years apart in age! Esther Rolle was actually old enough to be his mother. I believe she was in her early 50’s and Amos

Ivan,
That reminds me. On The Munsters, "Grandpa" Al Lewis was only a year older than his daughter "Lilly", Yvonne DeCarlo, so to keep her happy the producers
claimed Lewis was much older, which is why when he died some outlets listed him as almost 100.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The lesson I want you to learn is that it doesn't matter what you look like. Whether you are tall or short; or fat or thin; or ugly or handsome – like your father – or you can be black, or yellow, or white.
It doesn't matter. What matters is the size of your heart and the strength of your character."
Speaking of The Munsters... isn't there some kind of rivalry between that show and The Addams Family? I heard there's like a Team Munsters vs. Team Addams Family. :) Those who prefer one over the other. While I'm not a fan of either, I did catch a few Addams episodes and they're ok for what they are. But the Munsters is something I could never sit through. Just the sight of actors wearing full monster costumes and prosthetics and whatnot (I mean Fred Gwynne is completely unrecognizable) turns me off completely. The whole thing just looks like something out of a really, really bad B-movie. At least on Addams there's a certain sense of "fun" to the whole thing - John Astin was always smiling and doing mischievous things. Compare to Gwynne just lumbering about in full monster get-up.

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:39 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:34 am
:lol: Pahonu, you already asked me that same question on the Harry-O thread just a few weeks ago. Yes, I know all this. :)
I knew I posted it somewhere! :oops:

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:49 am

Ivan,

Speaking of The Munsters... isn't there some kind of rivalry between that show and The Addams Family? I heard there's like a Team Munsters vs. Team Addams Family. :) Those who prefer one over the other. While I'm not a fan of either, I did catch a few Addams episodes and they're ok for what they are. But the Munsters is something I could never sit through. Just the sight of actors wearing full monster costumes and prosthetics and whatnot (I mean Fred Gwynne is completely unrecognizable) turns me off completely. The whole thing just looks like something out of a really, really bad B-movie. At least on Addams there's a certain sense of "fun" to the whole thing - John Astin was always smiling and doing mischievous things. Compare to Gwynne just lumbering about in full monster get-up.
I think there is an Addams Family/Munsters rivalry. There’s also a Brady Bunch/Partridge Family rivalry of a similar nature. Many years ago, SNL did a skit about the Brady/Partridge thing.

https://www.tumblr.com/norewardiswortht ... ketch-from

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:18 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:49 am

Ivan,

I think there is an Addams Family/Munsters rivalry. There’s also a Brady Bunch/Partridge Family rivalry of a similar nature. Many years ago, SNL did a skit about the Brady/Partridge thing.

https://www.tumblr.com/norewardiswortht ... ketch-from
Well, I know who wins that contest. BRADY BUNCH all the way! :) I was quite the fan in my teen years. Never got into PARTRIDGE FAMILY. Of course I didn't come across it until much later when I was all growed up. :) Still, all that music. Probably too much for my tastes. It's a bit like being a groupie and following a band around. :? Whereas BRADY BUNCH was more of a slice-of-life type of show. Reminds us of our childhood.