Fictional Detective Team-Up!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Fictional Detective Team-Up!

#1 Post by marlboro »

Remember the old comic book Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man would team up with a different hero every issue? Well, this isn't like that. Sorry.

What it is like is this:

Name some famous fictional detectives that you would like to see team up to solve a case.

My first pick: Nick and Nora Charles (William Powell and Myrna Loy) teamed up with Charlie Chan and his number one son, Lee (Warner Oland and Keye Luke). The Thin Man and Charlie Chan movies were two of the very best detective series of the 1930s. They both did a good job of mixing humor and mystery. On top of that, the leads in both series had fantastic chemistry.

Pick #2

Thomas Magnum and Hercule Poirot

C'mon, it would be hilarious. The ultimate odd couple. It would be like Thomas having to team up with a French ("Belgian!") version of Higgins to solve a crime.

p.s. Now that I think about it, John Hillerman would have made a damn good Poirot. They should have used the character in The Case of the Red Faced Thespian instead of Fearing Pangborn. The whole episode is set up by TM watching an Agatha Christie movie marathon after all.

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Fictional Detective Team-Up!

#2 Post by BWheelz54 »

I think I'd like to see Murder, She Wrote's Jessica Fletcher paired up with Theo Kojak. Theo could show Jessica all the best, shadiest parts of the Big Apple, while Jessica could remind Theo to keep his cool and take it easy on the guys back in the precinct. Have a feeling that the interactions between those two would give some opportunity for some humor.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:Remember the old comic book Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man would team up with a different hero every issue? Well, this isn't like that. Sorry.

What it is like is this:

Name some famous fictional detectives that you would like to see team up to solve a case.

My first pick: Nick and Nora Charles (William Powell and Myrna Loy) teamed up with Charlie Chan and his number one son, Lee (Warner Oland and Keye Luke). The Thin Man and Charlie Chan movies were two of the very best detective series of the 1930s. They both did a good job of mixing humor and mystery. On top of that, the leads in both series had fantastic chemistry.

Pick #2

Thomas Magnum and Hercule Poirot

C'mon, it would be hilarious. The ultimate odd couple. It would be like Thomas having to team up with a French ("Belgian!") version of Higgins to solve a crime.

p.s. Now that I think about it, John Hillerman would have made a damn good Poirot. They should have used the character in The Case of the Red Faced Thespian instead of Fearing Pangborn. The whole episode is set up by TM watching an Agatha Christie movie marathon after all.
I love the Marvel Team-Up reference! My two faves were Spidey & Captain Britain and Spidey & Yellowjacket/Wasp vs. Equinox. :-)

But, back you your scenario . . . I'm working on it. Most of my reading is about fringe detectives - Jack Reacher, Travis McGee, Alex Rutledge, Doc Ford . . . maybe John Corey would be a fit.

Maybe Walter Sherman from The Finder and Thomas Magnum would be an interesting matchup. Similar, yet . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

[quote="marlboro"]Remember the old comic book Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man would team up with a different hero every issue? Well, this isn't like that. Sorry.
What it is like is this:

Hi Marlboro,
My Dream Team is Gerald Lloyd "Kookie" Kookson III (played by Edd Byrnes) from 77 Sunset Strip and Elvis Maginnis(played by Marcus Graham) from the Australian tv series Good Guys Bad Guys.
Both are Bohemian hipsters from their respective milieus, Kookie early 1960's LA and Elvis late 1990's Melbourne, Australia, and are catnip to the ladies.
However if these two were paired up they probably would need a translator to understand each other.
Kookie would say things such as "it's been a dark seven"(bad week), "piling up the Z's"(sleeping),
"I got a flash you should be on Guardsville because a big black bird with wings of Death is swooping down"(Ouija Board indicates a threat),"a cup of java and squeeze Bossy"(coffee with milk),
"Mushroom people"(night people) and "Greetings Oh Great White Father from the Land of Cube"(hello unhip authority figure).
Elvis is a true blue dinky di cobber to his mates, be they the bogans, no hopers and Ockers off on the Wallaby Track of his extended suspect family or his 2 sidekicks, the beautiful Stella who runs Elvis's laundry business and Reuben who has Tourettes.
If the hoons(bad guys) stir the possum(make trouble), Elvis the ever reluctant hero will battle them though he has Buckley's Chance and it's a mug's game, and that's fair dinkum. And like Kookie he is always ready to put the hard wood on the fairer sex.
Kookie and Elvis would be a great team, Romeo and Juliet were clearly mismatched by comparison.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

marlboro wrote:Remember the old comic book Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man would team up with a different hero every issue? Well, this isn't like that. Sorry.
No need to apologize. I've always been more partial Brave and the Bold (Batman and guest) and DC Comics Presents (Superman and guest). :wink:

As for the detective team up, a Jim Rockford-Rick and A.J. Simon team up would be ideal! They do lots of undercover "shtick" and could even collaborate on one of those huge cons like Jim did in Never Send a Boy King to Do a Man's Job.

Oh, and Lance White could even show up.

Another team up I'd like, although not strictly private detectives, is Starsky & Hutch and Dan Tanna of Vega$.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#6 Post by marlboro »

The girls from Charlie's Angels would have made for a fun Magnum crossover.

Adrian Monk and the 50s version of Mike Hammer (Darren McGavin) would have also been a fun pair.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Thomas Magnum and Perry Mason's Paul Drake would be a fun team up. William Hopper was in the Navy in WWII involved in the OSS and a member of the early Underwater Demolition Team so they'd have a lot in common.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#8 Post by marlboro »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Thomas Magnum and Perry Mason's Paul Drake would be a fun team up. William Hopper was in the Navy in WWII involved in the OSS and a member of the early Underwater Demolition Team so they'd have a lot in common.

Interesting idea. You could mix in Carol Baldwin and Lt. Tanaka into the mix as replacements for or partners with Hamilton Burger and Lt. Tragg.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

I was trying to think of who I would have loved to have seen Magnum team up with and I keep coming back to the episode Laura with Frank Sinatra's portrayal of Michael Doheny. It was a wonderful pairing and a perfect performance..............I also kept coming back to Luther H. Gillis as a comic pairing....I know, I should have found someone outside the series but I feel the Magnum creative team nailed it with those two....