Creating a Magnum PI Chopper Mission in Flight simulator X

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

John Solo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Creating a Magnum PI Chopper Mission in Flight simulator X

#1 Post by John Solo »

Hi there! Excuse my English, I'm french! :D

As a Flight Simulator enthousiast and as a Magnum PI fan, I would create a Magnum PI immersive mission in FSX!
A "mission", in FSX, is like it sounds: you have one or many goals to achieve, using specific aircraft or hover, at specific location...Etc. At the beginning you get some instructions, map....etc If you win, you get a reward attached to your FSX profile. But the real goal is to have fun!!!
As FSX is an open simulator, everyone can create aircrafts, sceneries, airports...Etc And of course missions!

So I will probably create a Chopper oriented mission! For example: you are T.C, the mission start with cold & dark cockpit at Island Hoppers dock. You have to startup the engine, take off and land at Robin's Nest to pick-up Magnum, and then go to a certain highway to find and pursuit a vehicle, because Higgins had been hijacked, he's in that car...etc etc

Missions in FSX provide the possibility to use audio files, played with specific triggers (take-off.... Specific altitude.... Approaching an object within specified distance....etc etc)
So my idea is tu use ORIGINAL MAGNUM PI audio files! Imagine you are flying the Chopper, and you hear Thomas's voice saying "Man, I think it's this car!!! Follow those bastards, but not to close!!!!"....etc etc
I can play some music too, directly sampled from action scenes in the TV show!

I will create the Island Hoppers dock and the Nest (with the Ferrari, the 2 dogs...etc). The chopper already exists in FSX with the correct livery!

But I need some help!

1/Your Magnum PI knoweldge: I don't know the entire episodes, I didn't even see all of them! So, someone who know very well the episodes should tell me in which episodes I can find some large dialog part IN THE CHOPPER, between TM and TC, because I will use them to produce my mission dialogs! I mean chopper pursuit scenes, or chopper emergency landing...Etc
But ONLY with dialogs: if you see the chopper flying and close-up to the actors faces (like in the end of "Ki'i's Don't Lie") it will be useless! I can only use AUDIO: dialogs, gun impact shots....

2/ Some english Audio files: I would make this mission with the 2 audio options: English or French (I'm french! And the Magnum voice in french is fantastic!)! I own most of the seasons DVD packs, but it's only in FRENCH!!! Usually french DVD's offer both french and english audio files, but not this pack!!! So I'll need some help to get certain audio samples in English!
When I'll be ready, I would send the complete list of audio sampling! For example "S02/E13 - 21mn10 to 21mn30"

If someone is interested, please let me know!

thanks 8)
Last edited by John Solo on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Creating a Magnum PI Chopper Mission in Flight simulator

#2 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome to the best MPI site on the planet.

I'm loving your idea!

First episode that comes to mind containing the "chopper chase" scenes with dialogue between TC and TM is The Taking of Dick McWilliams, where they are trying to follow a car that goes into a tunnel but doesnt come out! Pretty sure there's at least a little of what you're talking about in Ugliest Dog in Hawaii also.

I think The People vs. Orville Wright also has some of the same type footage, where they are tracking a car on the highway.

There are many such scenes throughout the series. I'm sure some of the long time veterans of the site will chime in in due time, providing a list for you to check out and use what suits your purpose.

I think this would be a killer project, sign me up for wanting a copy when it's ready!

You won't find a better group of people anywhere than you have right here, so whatever you need, don't be shy! :lol:

No need to apologize for your English...seems better than many who were born and lived here all their life!

Again, welcome! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

John Solo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by John Solo »

Thank you!

I've already found that page!
http://impdb.org/index.php?title=Magnum,_P.I.

By the way, when you speak about an episode, please give the season nb / ep nb, not only the title ;)

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

The Taking of Dick McWilliams-Season 2 episode 2.10

The People vs. Orville Wright-Season 7 episode 7.21

In case you haven't found/used it yet....http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Episodes.html

Keep us posted on the progress of this project. :)

John Solo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by John Solo »

(ooops)
Last edited by John Solo on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Solo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by John Solo »

OK, thanks! French titles are different ;)

Is this pic a screenshot from the show? Or is it the actual chopper? Has someone some screens showing Island Hopper with TC chopper parked on the helipad?

I remember a scene shot at Island Hoppers dock, with the chopper, and some gunshot action between Magnum, TC and some vilains.... Do you remember which episode it was?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

John Solo wrote:OK, thanks! French titles are different ;)

Is this pic a screenshot from the show? Or is it the actual chopper? Has someone some screens showing Island Hopper with TC chopper parked on the helipad?

I remember a scene shot at Island Hoppers dock, with the chopper, and some gunshot action between Magnum, TC and some vilains.... Do you remember which episode it was?
Hi John,

There are quite a few scenes where TC's chopper gets shot up......one episode that might interest you is Under World... http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... World.html .......TC is shot in this one and the chopper crashes into the ocean. Hope that helps....look forward to seeing your FSX missions!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

Season 3 episode 3.11 "Almost Home"

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... _Home.html

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Emergency landing and probably some good audio in Operation: Silent Night (Season 4, Episode 10).

I'm also trying to remember what episode the scene is where they're flying in the chopper and it starts dropping and swerving as though something is haunting it. They look at each other and say something about getting home right away. Anyone remember?

Great idea, by the way John Solo!

BTW, I don't think this thread belongs in the KKC. Probably the main forum makes the most sense.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Emergency landing and probably some good audio in Operation: Silent Night (Season 4, Episode 10).

I'm also trying to remember what episode the scene is where they're flying in the chopper and it starts dropping and swerving as though something is haunting it. They look at each other and say something about getting home right away. Anyone remember?

BTW, I don't think this thread belongs in the KKC. Probably the main forum makes the most sense.

Ki'i's Don't Lie, I think.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Emergency landing and probably some good audio in Operation: Silent Night (Season 4, Episode 10).

Hi Styles,

It could be Ki'i's Don't Lie.....at the end of the show the box holding the ki'i opens up under the chopper seats and the chopper starts to sputter until they close the box.

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... t_Lie.html

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:

Ki'i's Don't Lie, I think.
Exactly! At the end when they're flying the Ki'i back to its resting place.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

John Solo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by John Solo »

Yes, but as I've explained it, the chopper scene in "ki'is don't lie" does not contain any interesting AUDIO FILES! What I need is TC vs Magnum dialogs in a "pursuit spirit".... Maybe those kind of sentences can even be found in some car pursuit scenes! I mean words like "That's this car!!! Follow them!!!" or "Faster!!! We gonna loose them!" or "Don't move toward them! They are shooting at us!!!" etc etc

By the way, I've found a 3D model of the T.C HDQ, for the future FSX scenery of the mission! 8)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Sam »

Try season 1, episode 15 "Don't say goodbye"
I think there's a scene where TC and Magnum get lost in the helicopter and land in the street to get directions.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p2csj
Last edited by Sam on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Try the pilot episode helicopter scene with Magnum and TC looking for the boat off Kahoolawe.

There's also By It's Cover when they get shot at unknowingly making a drug delivery.

I don't know the episode, but they tail a car with the helicopter and lose it in a tunnel. Anyone?