Shows breaking the 4th wall - do you like it or not?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

What's your opinion on shows breaking the fourth wall?

I like it when shows break the fourth wall
100%
I don't like it when shows break the fourth wall
No votes
I couldn't care less
No votes

Total votes: 7

MHTR
Vice Admiral

Shows breaking the 4th wall - do you like it or not?

#1 Post by MHTR »

One of the things I like about Magnum PI is when Magnum occasionally breaks the fourth wall. Two stand-out occurrences of this (to me) was when Magnum breaks the fourth wall while driving in the Ferrari with his date and Mac (the episode where Mac got blown up), and the series opener after Magnum broke into the Ferrari.

Two other times outside of Magnum PI where the fourth wall was broken that stand out to me was when Ollie did it in the Laurel and Hardy episode "The Music Box" (in my opinion the best and funniest L&H short) at 21:37 here, and when Burt Reynolds did it in Smokey and the Bandit at 2:24 here.

What's your opinion? Do you like the fourth wall being broken?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Shows breaking the 4th wall - do you like it or not?

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:One of the things I like about Magnum PI is when Magnum occasionally breaks the fourth wall. Two stand-out occurrences of this (to me) was when Magnum breaks the fourth wall while driving in the Ferrari with his date and Mac (the episode where Mac got blown up), and the series opener after Magnum broke into the Ferrari.
Two other times outside of Magnum PI where the fourth wall was broken that stand out to me was when Ollie did it in the Laurel and Hardy episode "The Music Box" (in my opinion the best and funniest L&H short) at 21:37 here, and when Burt Reynolds did it in Smokey and the Bandit at 2:24 here.
What's your opinion? Do you like the fourth wall being broken?
Hi MHTR,
I reckon if it was good enough for Billy Shakespeare, it's good enough for television series.
On Lovejoy Ian McShane talked to the camera all the time(PBS has to get smart and pair Lovejoy with Antiques Roadshow). Simon Templar in The Saint. Mr. Humphries in Are You Being Served.
In the original Superman, George Reeves as Clark Kent often winked into the camera.
Burns and Allan, George Burns famously talked to the audience all the time. At the end of Ellery Queen episodes, Ellery(Jim Hutton) would turn to the camera and ask the audience, "Did you figure it out"?
Huntz Hall and Leo Gorcey at the end of some Bowery Boys movie addressed the audience.
One of the great all time moments in movies occurs when Walter Huston as Satan at the end of "The Devil and Daniel Webster" turns to the camera and beckons to the audience as if the viewer is next to lose his soul to him. The look on his face will, at the same moment, both make you shiver and then make you laugh. That moment is a testament to his Art, aspiring actors should study it, the movie itself is a too little seen gem.
My favorite is James Garner as Maverick doing it only once in the series in the episode "The Saga of Waco Williams". This outstanding episode is the genesis of the Lance White character, which was later updated in Rockford Files for Tom Selleck. Any Tom Selleck/Rockford fan will get the connection right off.