MPI left off best premieres list

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MHTR
Vice Admiral

MPI left off best premieres list

#1 Post by MHTR »

MSN has a list of 75 best tv premieres of all time (link below). MPI was not on the list, which to me, and I think most here, makes this a bogus list. Most of the shows were from the 2000s and 2010s. I wonder who they get to come up with these lists.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/gallery/the ... ex&index=0

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: MPI left off best premieres list

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I wonder who they get to come up with these lists.
People who are too young to remember Magnum! LOL! Quantum Leap made the list, so at least DPB is represented and the QL pilot definitely deserves to be on the list. It was probably the best episode of the show. I still remember watching it the night it premiered and being totally entranced by it.

Rolling Stone magazine recently did a 100 Greatest TV Shows list and MPI didn't make their list either. Boo!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

The internet is dominated by Millennials, so it's no surprise that their bias and ignorance also dominate.

As for "forgetting" about Magnum, P.I., I am of the view that in recent decades, the collective pop culture memory shrinks in that less is remembered. A good example of this is when people think that the 1970s was nothing but Disco, Aaron Spelling TV shows, Star Wars, and Grease. To those of us of a certain age, I suppose it is, but the first half of that decade was *quite* different than what came after 1975.

I don't know if this mentality is for the purpose of repackaging the past for contemporary consumption, trendiness, or if it really is the bias of those in the media to exclude things that were quite popular in their day.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Wow. Yeah, I'm disappointed in this too. As I have posted elsewhere, the opening scene of the first episode is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

I am disappointed as well but I remember that MPI was also given short shrift by CNN in its show "The Eighties." It was classified "as one of those lighthearted dramas" and put in the same category as Hart to Hart, Remington Steele and A-Team. I think it was a lot better than any of those three and the premier/pilot was solid. The next episode of China Doll was quite dramatic and may have detracted from the pilot. I also agree that millennials are taking over and us baby-boomers are becoming nothing but old-fogies and our tastes were and are quite simple in their mind. Without offending anyone we, or at least I, am pretty biased toward a show that has some episodes I can clearly remember having seen only once some 30+ years ago. (Sigh)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

MHTR wrote:MSN has a list of 75 best tv premieres of all time (link below). MPI was not on the list, which to me, and I think most here, makes this a bogus list. Most of the shows were from the 2000s and 2010s. I wonder who they get to come up with these lists.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/gallery/the ... ex&index=0
Crazy talk not to include Magnum's premiere which, although I'm biased, I would say is one of the best ever. We jumped right into the fast lane with these characters, got to know who they are, what they mean to each other and what they are capable of. A perfect blend of intelligent drama, action and lightheartedness.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Little Garwood wrote:The internet is dominated by Millennials, so it's no surprise that their bias and ignorance also dominate.
Tell me about it. I wish I saved the link, but I was reading a synopsis of MPI on a website. Its obvious that the author NEVER watched the show as he referred to Higgins as Magnum's "manservant."

UPDATE:

OK, I found it: http://www.awesome80s.com/Awesome80s/TV ... m_P.I..asp

Another "review" by someone who probably never saw it in the first place! :x
I'm a Boxley Girl....