Stephen King

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Stephen King

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Curious to know if there are any Stephen King fans on MM? "Uncle Stevie" has been my absolute favorite author since I was a young teenager. My admiration for him has only grown over the years (for all sorts of reasons). A supreme master storyteller if there ever was one, the Dickens of our time.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Stephen King

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

You got one here, although admittedly.. He can be hit or miss with me

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

The Stand is an all time fave book of mine, but that's a gimme.

I have read many of his books, but not all. I use him as a "re juicer" author. When I get into a funk and haven't read for a while I grab a King book I haven't read yet and he gets the juices flowing.

Great writer and storyteller IMHO. That said I've yet to get into The Dark Tower series. That fist book is a bear.
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I like his stuff, but I did run into a bit of a sleeper last summer. I think it was his attempt to write a pulp detective novel. Takes place off the coast of Maine, but I can't remember the title.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Stelth »

I've read over 30 King books and 6 "Bachman" books but no longer read his new stuff because in my opinion, it isn't good. I think that mini-van wrecked him. I tried a couple different ones but I'm finally done with him now. "Cell" was the last of his newer books I was able to get through and it wasn't even that great. I gave up completely on King after a few chapters of "Lisey's Story". I'm so tired of all his protagonists being authors. Maybe he needs to start drinking again.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

I knew there would be some "Constant Readers" out there. ;)
Styles Bitchley wrote:I like his stuff, but I did run into a bit of a sleeper last summer. I think it was his attempt to write a pulp detective novel. Takes place off the coast of Maine, but I can't remember the title.
That would be Joyland and it takes place on the North Carolina coast, near Wilmington. I thought it was a great coming-of-age tale with a nice little mystery and just a dash of horror. I really, really liked the old amusement park/carny aspect of it. It is an odd book, though; it's really hard to classify it. King had a vision of a boy in a wheelchair on a beach flying a kite in his head for years and finally put it to paper. I adore this book.
Stelth wrote:I've read over 30 King books and 6 "Bachman" books but no longer read his new stuff because in my opinion, it isn't good. I think that mini-van wrecked him. I tried a couple different ones but I'm finally done with him now. "Cell" was the last of his newer books I was able to get through and it wasn't even that great. I gave up completely on King after a few chapters of "Lisey's Story". I'm so tired of all his protagonists being authors. Maybe he needs to start drinking again.
I respect your opinion, of course. There are King books that I don't particularly care for either (namely Lisey's Story, Insomnia and The Tommyknockers), but have you read all of his new ones? Full Dark, No Stars? 11/22/63? Joyland? Doctor Sleep? The reason I ask is because his most recent works have received almost universal praise. Everything he has put out after Lisey's Story (which some people really like) has been a home run IMHO. But I hear ya. Nothing quite compares to the early King. Those first 15 books or so were just incredible. Hard to maintain that sort of quality throughout a 40+ year career. But make no mistake, he's on another renaissance of late. And his first hard crime novel comes out in June, Mr. Mercedes. Can't wait!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Full Dark, No Stars is next on my list! I have like 6 books I have purchased, but haven't gotten around to reading yet!

Styles Bitchley

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:That would be Joyland and it takes place on the North Carolina coast, near Wilmington. I thought it was a great coming-of-age tale with a nice little mystery and just a dash of horror. I really, really liked the old amusement park/carny aspect of it. It is an odd book, though; it's really hard to classify it. King had a vision of a boy in a wheelchair on a beach flying a kite in his head for years and finally put it to paper. I adore this book.
That didn't sound right, so I looked it up. It's called The Colorado Kid.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, sorry Styles! I saw the word "pulp" and immediately thought of Joyland. Yeah, The Colorado Kid was the other book he did for Hard Case Crime. I havn't read it yet. It doesn't rank high in the King canon. You'd probably like Joyland, though. ;)

Styles Bitchley

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Oh, sorry Styles! I saw the word "pulp" and immediately thought of Joyland. Yeah, The Colorado Kid was the other book he did for Hard Case Crime. I havn't read it yet. It doesn't rank high in the King canon. You'd probably like Joyland, though. ;)
I'll put it on my list!

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

For all the Stephen King fans…this article about King and the Stanley Hotel was just published today on BBC Travel: http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20140 ... ocid=twtvl :shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, it's really interesting how that story came about. During their stay he had a dream about his son running through the corridors being chased by a fire hose. He got up, lit a cigarette, sat in a chair looking out the window at the Rockies, and by the time the cigarette was done, he had the bones of the book firmly set in his mind.

The New York Times Magazine ran a piece on King and his family last summer. It's a really great read. What a wonderful, loving family they have. And all writers! I love the idea that Stephen and Tabby encouraged their kids to tell them bedtime stories when they were growing up, instead of the other way around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:I love the idea that Stephen and Tabby encouraged their kids to tell them bedtime stories when they were growing up, instead of the other way around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/magaz ... d=all&_r=0
Of course they did! If dad told the stories the poor kids would never sleep again!!! :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Conch! :lol:

King announced his next book, Christine Lives! This is so weird because I just finished reading Christine!

http://stephenking.com/promo/christine_lives/

Be sure to click Stephen's announcement link.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anyway, it was just an April Fool's joke. There is no Christine Lives on the horizon! ;)