I've designed my own Team Ring

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've designed my own Team Ring

#1 Post by Tony308 »

Hi guys!

I want to share with you that I've designed a prop from Magnum P.I. I've told it to Steve, and he told me to share it with all the Magnum Maniacs guys here.

I've designed my own Team Ring with a 3D CAD program. After that I've send it to Shapeways to produce it, and here it is!

It has been 3D printed and after that casted in brass. The black part is a 3D printed part also, in black plastic. Instead of painting the black part, I've designed the plastic part to be inserted around the Lorraine cross. Just pressing it.

This ring is a very close replica of the first Team Ring seen on the show, with the upper zone slightly concave, not flat.

Well, now I have the Detroit Tigers hat, the Ray-Ban Shooter and the Team Ring. I can't afford the Rolex but I will buy the Hawaian Parrot shirt for sure...

I hope that you will like it!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: I've designed my own Team Ring

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Nice work!

Any concerns about the plastic long term?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Tony308 »

ConchRepublican wrote:Nice work!

Any concerns about the plastic long term?
I think that there wouldn't be any problem. It's laser sintered nylon. And the replacement is cheap, so no worries. At the end, we have the choice to paint it too!!!! :magnum:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Tony, the ring looks great! Very nice work.

I think you could probably have your jeweler enamel the black part after casting, but the plastic insert should be fine too. Do you plan to use adhesive to attach it?

Looks exactly like the one Rockin' Robbie offers on his website.

I paid the "big bucks" and had one made in gold, and the jeweler is currently working on an alloy one with slight modifications. The alloy is supposed to have the look of gold without the cost. It will also be partly brass.

Any idea what copies of yours are going to sell for?

Again, great job! 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by Tony308 »

308GUY wrote:Tony, the ring looks great! Very nice work.

I think you could probably have your jeweler enamel the black part after casting, but the plastic insert should be fine too. Do you plan to use adhesive to attach it?

Looks exactly like the one Rockin' Robbie offers on his website.

I paid the "big bucks" and had one made in gold, and the jeweler is currently working on an alloy one with slight modifications. The alloy is supposed to have the look of gold without the cost. It will also be partly brass.

Any idea what copies of yours are going to sell for?

Again, great job! 8)
Hey 308Guy!!

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, of course, I can apply myself an enamel coat without problem, yes. But I was trying to create something easy and not expensive. Not everybody knows how to paint. And you're ever on time to go to the jeweler, just in case you want the nice enamel look. The plastic part is not glued, only pressed into the groove. It's hard enough.

I know Robbie too! I've shown to him my ring too! And he liked it.

About sales, well, I'm not planning to make sales. Actually is on Shapeways, just for fun. I'm not a jeweller. I've designed this ring and three more for my daughter, just for fun. The regular size in brass is about 50 bucks, more or less. But it offers the option too to cast it in gold plated. If you want to take a look:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits ... e-products

Cheers

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

The ring looks great!

So what you are telling us is that it can be ordered from Shapeways in your choice of materials and they will make it to order?

This looks like what more than a few here have been looking for. Those who wanted a "team ring" but didn't want to spend a fortune on it. The polished brass looks so much like what's seen on screen, it would be hard to tell the difference, at least in the pictures.

Do they have to contact you to do specific sizes? Do you have to create a new file for each individual size?

Are there any actual pictures of the material listed as polished gold steel?

You make me want to learn the cad program! Something I've thought about, but just haven't taken the time to look into, but if it gives you the ability to do things like this, should've already done it.

Very nice work, even if you consider it "for fun". Big ThumbsUP! :magnum:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Haha, Told ya you'd find an audience, Tony!

Love the work you did!

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by Tony308 »

Doc Ibold wrote:Haha, Told ya you'd find an audience, Tony!

Love the work you did!
Many thanks!!! 8) :D

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Tony308 »

308GUY wrote:The ring looks great!

So what you are telling us is that it can be ordered from Shapeways in your choice of materials and they will make it to order?

This looks like what more than a few here have been looking for. Those who wanted a "team ring" but didn't want to spend a fortune on it. The polished brass looks so much like what's seen on screen, it would be hard to tell the difference, at least in the pictures.

Do they have to contact you to do specific sizes? Do you have to create a new file for each individual size?

Are there any actual pictures of the material listed as polished gold steel?

You make me want to learn the cad program! Something I've thought about, but just haven't taken the time to look into, but if it gives you the ability to do things like this, should've already done it.

Very nice work, even if you consider it "for fun". Big ThumbsUP! :magnum:
Hi again 308Guy!

Yes, of course. I've designed it for me but you can go to Shapeways and order it -do a search here for Magnum Ring or Team Ring; I've posted the web address on the fifth post-. Actually I've designed three sizes, 9 (my size), 12 1/4 and 12 1/2 -two guys asked me these-.

If you want a specific size just tell me; I can fit the CAD design and upload the new size to Shapeways and it's ready. It's incredible! The industrial process is drastically reduced! From the PC to your hands, almost directly! I'm really amazed!

About the materials, on the ring I've previously selected in which materials can be produced, in this case Polished Brass and Gold Plated Brass. The one of the shots is Polished Brass. The truth is that the ring is far more better on the flesh than on the pictures, really!

And yes!!! Hahahaha. You must learn a CAD program to start doing things like this one!!! :D

I'm really stuck with 3D and 3D print now. I will buy my 3D printer soon; I'm waiting to make the right choice, because there are a lot now on the market! Despite that by now at home we can print only plastic and resin.

If you have any question, just let me know!

:magnum:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Hi Guys.

Another chapter in my team ring "quest". :lol:

Purchased one of Tony's rings through Shapeways.

Very impressive, to say the least.

I've taken a few pictures of it and a couple other rings I have from other sources for comparison.

Tony's ring is very well made. I opted for the polished brass version, which very much has the look of actual gold. One of the main things that sets this ring apart from the others is the overall size. It looks to be very close in size to what appears in the series, particularly the early seasons. Most of the others I've seen look undersized by comparison. I've taken a few pictures of a couple different rings side by side so you can see the difference right away.

The quality and workmanship is amazing in Tony's ring, especially considering the wax model is done on a 3D printer, then that is used for the final casting, which I'm guessing is hand polished. The black plastic insert that serves as the background for the cross, is also 3D printed, and gives the look of the original very nicely. It had a few very tiny "burrs" on it that had to be cleaned off, but other than that, it is a perfect press fit piece that once in place in the face of the ring, isn't going anywhere! The design and drafting on this thing is very well done.

If anybody is looking for a very close to accurate representation of the ring used in the series, (at least the early seasons), Tony's ring is much more reasonably priced, available, and probably the best bang for the buck of any I've seen/purchased myself from anybody.

I can only imagine what it would be like were it cast in actual gold, if you wanted to spend the money.

So, with all that having been said, here are a few pics to ponder.

This is Tony's ring, with the insert installed.

Another of Tony's ring on hand for sense of size.

Here's one of the 14K gold ring I had made locally.

Keep in mind, this one cost more than 10 times what Tony's did!
Another of the same ring.

As you can see, Tony's ring is actually a little larger than the gold one, and I think closer to the actual size of the originals.

Next is a picture of the two rings side by side. Tony's on the left, 14K gold on the right.

You can see the outer most ridge on the face of Tony's ring mimics the original better.

Another of the two together. This time, 14K gold on the left, Tony's on the right.

I have more pictures of several other different rings for comparison, but this post is about Tony's ring and I wanted to show how it compares to the one I had made locally.

I also have comparison pics of Tony's ring and Rockin Robbie's, Jerry Our Other Store, and the SS one that sells for under $25 if anybody is interested in seeing them.

Why this "obsession" with the team ring, you might ask....can't really explain it other than to say, it's something that I enjoy and having it/them makes me smile. I'd guess that if I took all the money spent on all the rings, I might have a good start toward funding an Oahu vacation, and I may still get to do that, but I like the rings. If anybody is interested in having a good representation of the ring used in the early seasons, get one of Tony's. It looks very authentic, is well made and goes for less than $85 (polished brass like the one pictured) including the black insert and shipping.

I wear the gold one more than any other, just because of the way my skin reacts to the different metals. Robbie's ring (around $200) will leave a green ring on my finger because the epoxy coating on the back wore away. I don't care for the silver that much, but do wear one of them on occasion. The brass leaves much less green and takes longer to show up, but it does, especially if I've been sweating at all. Note that it's not near the same degree as the alloy that Robbie's ring is made from, but the gold is best for me in regards to not leaving any signs of having been worn. Don't know if this is an individual thing, or if the brass will do that on anybody's skin. Also note that Tony's ring is available in several different metals.

Anyway, that's my "review" intended to let anybody interested that in my opinion, dollar for dollar, Tony's team ring is your best bet.

One more pic of Tony's ring.

Whether you want it to wear, or just for display, my recommendation is for one of Tony's rings!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by terryfromkerry »

Interesting review 308GUY :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the review. The ring looks great. I've had quite a bit of experience working with brass in furniture making and you should know that when the protective lacquer wears away or chips off, it will tarnish very quickly and probably leave black marks on your finger. However, it is also quite easy and satisfying to polish it up. Just expect some maintenance.

In looking at the side by side comparison, your gold one has a more professional look to it. It really does look like a high end piece of jewellery. Price makes all the difference though! I guess where I might invest depends on how often I'd wear it.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

Any concerns about buildup around the insignia and the insert?

I'm thinking just the usual life stuff would start to collect in there.

That said, it really looks fantastic. A little big for my taste (though true to size) which is why I went with Jerry's ring in silver, which fits my style more.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:Any concerns about buildup around the insignia and the insert?

I'm thinking just the usual life stuff would start to collect in there.

That said, it really looks fantastic. A little big for my taste (though true to size) which is why I went with Jerry's ring in silver, which fits my style more.
I don't see a problem with anything accumulating anywhere. Really can't accurately describe the fit of the insert. It fits so well, that once installed, you would probably have a rough time getting it back out. I'm sure it could be done, but you'd have to be very careful and take your time, going all around it a little at a time. It really ends up being an integral part of the ring face, after it's pressed properly in place.

I asked Tony about using some sort of adhesive and he told me then that he didn't see where it'd be necessary, now I understand what he meant. Just another one of those things that can't really be fully appreciated till you have it in your hand, then it becomes obvious.

There's no reason black epoxy couldn't be used instead of the plastic insert, you'd just have to do it yourself, or take it to a local jeweler to have it done. Then there would be no chance of being any cracks-crevices etc., for anything to work it's way into. Believe me though, the insert fits exactly as it was intended, like it's part of the ring. :wink:

I'm wondering what the gold plated brass would be like. If the plating is good, it would prevent the tarnishing and resulting stain on your skin. Worse case would be having to have it re-plated periodically. Or you could just choose gold as the material to have the ring made of, though it wouldn't be nearly as "cost effective". :higgins:

I have one of Jerry's rings also, and it is a very nice piece, and a good piece of jewelry to boot. I just prefer the gold coloring, and the closer to original size for myself. For everyday wearing, the $25 stainless steel ring is not bad at all. It has the size and weight I like, the only thing, other than the color and lack of the concave face, that I don't care for is the lack of girth on the bottom of the ring. Jerry's ring is the same way. Tony's ring and the one I had made locally both have a wider band on the bottom. To me, this feels better, and better matches what was used in the series. Just one of those "quirks" I guess. :lol:

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by Tony308 »

Great revue 308Guy!!!

I'm very happy you're pleased with!
I've designed it with all my passion to one of the most interesting TV shows on the 80's. Guess what song sounds on my mobile when it rings? :lol:

I appreciate so much your excellent revue. I see that you have taken in account the design matching the original ring. This is what I've pursued, a real Team Ring replica.
many thanks again.

Tony

P.S.: If possible, I would like to use your shots! Thanks