I've designed my own Team Ring

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: I've designed my own Team Ring

#11 Post by terryfromkerry »

Interesting review 308GUY :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the review. The ring looks great. I've had quite a bit of experience working with brass in furniture making and you should know that when the protective lacquer wears away or chips off, it will tarnish very quickly and probably leave black marks on your finger. However, it is also quite easy and satisfying to polish it up. Just expect some maintenance.

In looking at the side by side comparison, your gold one has a more professional look to it. It really does look like a high end piece of jewellery. Price makes all the difference though! I guess where I might invest depends on how often I'd wear it.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

Any concerns about buildup around the insignia and the insert?

I'm thinking just the usual life stuff would start to collect in there.

That said, it really looks fantastic. A little big for my taste (though true to size) which is why I went with Jerry's ring in silver, which fits my style more.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:Any concerns about buildup around the insignia and the insert?

I'm thinking just the usual life stuff would start to collect in there.

That said, it really looks fantastic. A little big for my taste (though true to size) which is why I went with Jerry's ring in silver, which fits my style more.
I don't see a problem with anything accumulating anywhere. Really can't accurately describe the fit of the insert. It fits so well, that once installed, you would probably have a rough time getting it back out. I'm sure it could be done, but you'd have to be very careful and take your time, going all around it a little at a time. It really ends up being an integral part of the ring face, after it's pressed properly in place.

I asked Tony about using some sort of adhesive and he told me then that he didn't see where it'd be necessary, now I understand what he meant. Just another one of those things that can't really be fully appreciated till you have it in your hand, then it becomes obvious.

There's no reason black epoxy couldn't be used instead of the plastic insert, you'd just have to do it yourself, or take it to a local jeweler to have it done. Then there would be no chance of being any cracks-crevices etc., for anything to work it's way into. Believe me though, the insert fits exactly as it was intended, like it's part of the ring. :wink:

I'm wondering what the gold plated brass would be like. If the plating is good, it would prevent the tarnishing and resulting stain on your skin. Worse case would be having to have it re-plated periodically. Or you could just choose gold as the material to have the ring made of, though it wouldn't be nearly as "cost effective". :higgins:

I have one of Jerry's rings also, and it is a very nice piece, and a good piece of jewelry to boot. I just prefer the gold coloring, and the closer to original size for myself. For everyday wearing, the $25 stainless steel ring is not bad at all. It has the size and weight I like, the only thing, other than the color and lack of the concave face, that I don't care for is the lack of girth on the bottom of the ring. Jerry's ring is the same way. Tony's ring and the one I had made locally both have a wider band on the bottom. To me, this feels better, and better matches what was used in the series. Just one of those "quirks" I guess. :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by Tony308 »

Great revue 308Guy!!!

I'm very happy you're pleased with!
I've designed it with all my passion to one of the most interesting TV shows on the 80's. Guess what song sounds on my mobile when it rings? :lol:

I appreciate so much your excellent revue. I see that you have taken in account the design matching the original ring. This is what I've pursued, a real Team Ring replica.
many thanks again.

Tony

P.S.: If possible, I would like to use your shots! Thanks

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by 308GUY »

Very happy to give a good review, Tony, you did a fantastic job on this project.

You are welcome to use anything I have posted, any way you like.

Any plans for a 308 replica? :lol:

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#17 Post by Tony308 »

308GUY wrote:Very happy to give a good review, Tony, you did a fantastic job on this project.

You are welcome to use anything I have posted, any way you like.

Any plans for a 308 replica? :lol:
A 308 ring replica? :lol:

Well, I've made some cool keychains for the 308!!! :magnum:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6MDZZ ... d=42620158

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WZQXU ... d=43553137

You can browse my Automobilia gadgets!!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits ... utomobilia

Cheers

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

Tony, I was attempting to make a "joke" :lol: , cause I know if you ever made an actual 308 replica, it would be hard to tell from the real thing! I also know I wouldn't be able to afford one! :magnum:

The key fobs/chains look great, but that's what we've come to expect from you, so no surprise to me.

You are very talented, and I'm glad you used your talent to bring an MPI memento to life.

Keep up the good work! :magnum:

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Tony308 »

308GUY wrote:Tony, I was attempting to make a "joke" :lol: , cause I know if you ever made an actual 308 replica, it would be hard to tell from the real thing! I also know I wouldn't be able to afford one! :magnum:

The key fobs/chains look great, but that's what we've come to expect from you, so no surprise to me.

You are very talented, and I'm glad you used your talent to bring an MPI memento to life.

Keep up the good work! :magnum:
Many thanks pal!

Glad to be useful!

:lol: :magnum:

JAFO
Lieutenant

#20 Post by JAFO »

Long time lurker, first time poster, so hi guys!

Ok, so over the years I've had a few team rings - none of them really worth wearing except for the stainless steel one on eBay, it's actually pretty cool. Completely inaccurate but pretty cool. I've always wanted a nice one and I've been thinking about ordering one of Tony's and finally pulled the trigger on May 1st. I did spring for next day shipping and it showed up yesterday. How is it? Check it out:

First off, how's the quality? Amazing. No joke, this ring is extremely nice. You've all seen it before but I was actually blown away by the quality. The details are extremely crisp and the shape of the ring is better than any of the others I've seen and/or owned.

You all know how it's made, 3D printed wax, plaster cast, lost wax. I was curious how long it would take shapeways but they delivered in 10 days. That's pretty good if you ask me. I also ordered the plastic insert and it's, well, inserted in the picture. The insert truly does slip right into place and I can't imagine it ever falling out. It fits that well.

Now, I didn't opt for the gold plating, just went with the polished brass and it looks great. The only downside...it turns my finger black within a couple hours. Keep in mind that everybody has different body chemistry so you may have a different result. I had decided IF it discolored my finger I would take it to my local jeweler and have it plated.

So today I dropped it off. Now, if you carry a piece of brass "costume jewelry" into a high end place, the sales person is probably gonna look down his/her nose at you, lol. I'm shameless so it didn't bother me. Actually, I knew the owner is the head jeweler so after the sales guy said "I'm sorry, sir. We don't work on costume jewelry", I asked to speak to the jeweler/owner. He loved the ring, which actually didn't surprise me. Went on about the quality of the cast and design (hats off to Tony) and then asked where I got it. Oddly enough he'd used shapeways for a few projects so he wasn't put off at all.

We discussed the ring and he said he'd be glad to plate it, so long as I understood it would wear off eventually and have to be redone. I did and said I'd just bring it right back and he could charge me to replate it and I'd leave happy every time. So he's going to rhodium plate and then gold plate it.

I'm also having him inlay enamel epoxy in the recess. NOT because I'm unhappy with the insert, I am very pleased with it. i just can't leave well enough alone, if you know what I mean.

One last thing - if I order another (and I might, just to compare the gold plating) I'm gonna order it a half size larger. I measure out at an eleven and all my other rings are elevens but this one is just a tad snug. Again, your results may vary.

I'd like to thank Tony for the work he put into making his ring and for working with shapeways to make it available to everyone. If you're on the fence - get off and order one of these rings!!

And since someone will be wondering, I paid 40 bucks for the rhodium/gold plating and another 40 for the epoxy enamel inlay. However, I've been a semi regular customer at this jeweler for 25 years. But I can't imagine it would cost much more at any local jeweler.

I'll post up more pics of my ring after it's finished.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome JAFO! :magnum:

Beautiful ring....great post....excellent review!

Looking forward to seeing the end result of the plating/enameling.

Is that a GMT Master in your picture...... 8)

Tony really did a fantastic job on this ring, and your review definitely does it justice!

Again, welcome aboard!

JAFO
Lieutenant

#22 Post by JAFO »

308GUY wrote:Welcome JAFO! :magnum:

Beautiful ring....great post....excellent review!

Looking forward to seeing the end result of the plating/enameling.

Is that a GMT Master in your picture...... 8)

Tony really did a fantastic job on this ring, and your review definitely does it justice!

Again, welcome aboard!
Thank you and thanks for the welcome!

And yes, that's a 1675 in the picture :D

JAFO
Lieutenant

#23 Post by JAFO »

I received a message from one of the members here who wasn't able to get an insert for his ring - shapeways said they couldn't make one. And I just may have a solution for anyone else in that boat OR if you simply want yours painted instead of using the insert. Again - the insert is great, this is just another option.

Take a look at this and then I'll explain how I did it below:

JAFO
Lieutenant

#24 Post by JAFO »

Ok, see the bezel - the part of the watch surrounding the crystal with the numbers on it is the bezel, which I'm sure most of you already know that :) Anyway, that watch does not have an insert in the bezel like a 1675, for example. It's all one piece. And the bezel was brushed stainless, just like the case, and the numbers weren't painted. So I took a Cape Cod cloth and polished the bezel up to make it shiny and to make it pop compared to the case. Then I used a process I've used on lots of bezels and inserts that actually come out of the bezel - aluminum, stainless, ceramic. What does this have to do with the ring? Well, I believe you could paint it just like I did that watch.

Here's what you need:

Testors enamel paint - I'd use gloss black, same stuff you paint a model airplane or car with
Testors paint thinner - get the larger jar
Several paint brushes - get at least two very fine tip brushes of the same size, this is important
Paint palette - I use one that kinda looks like an egg tray with multiple wells. A bowl will work in a pinch
Paper towels
Beer

Take your ring and clean it really well with thinner. Fingernail polish with acetone will work too. Make sure the recessed area is cleaned well and then let that dry completely.

Now you have to figure out a way to prop up your ring so it sits upright for at least 10 hours without falling over. Once you've got it in a little padded vice or whatever, it's time to mix your paint.

Shake the paint jar really well then take one of your fine pointed brushes and completely submerge the brush in the paint and transfer one drop of paint to your palette or bowl. Do that again so you've got two drops of paint in the palette. Then take your identical brush and dip it in the thinner. This time though you're going to press it against the side of the palette and let the thinner run down the side - you do this so you do not contaminate this brush. You'll need about 8 drops of thinner for two drops of paint. Mix that up really well with a toothpick or whatever. Clean off your black brush and dip it into the mixed paint. You do not want the brush dripping paint, just load it up.

Then go over to your ring and touch it to the bottom of the recessed area. You do not have to "paint" it in, capillary action will draw the paint out. Repeat until you have a thin coat on the bottom of the ring. Now go clean your brushes and palette and leave the ring alone for at least 8 - 10 hours. It has to fully dry and even though it's gonna look dry in 20 minutes or so, because the thinner evaporates really quickly, it ain't gonna be dry. Once it is, repeat the process until you are thrilled or eventually run out of beer.

Now, as far as the inside ridge of the top of the ring, that's going to take some experimenting if you want to paint it. If it was me, I'd probably do that inner ridge first then do the bottom. Or just leave it as is. Again, you're probably gonna have to experiment here but it's really not as hard as it seems. Plus, you'll only spend about 10 or 15 bucks for the supplies.

Of course, I can't guarantee this will work because I've never done it. But I've done enough watch bezels and inserts to know the process works on other materials. Plus it's pretty fun and after you're done you can sit back and stare at it and know you're way cooler than anybody else :)

TSM308
Captain

#25 Post by TSM308 »

That is so awesome - I'm going to get sized and order one!
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."