The Comic Book thread

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Comic Book thread

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

Currently reading:

JLA Vol 4- Trade paperback which includes the World War III story arc, which I enjoyed for the most part and the legendary Tower of Babel storyline. I read this Grant Morrison-Mark Waid-Howard Porter run on JLA up to issue #26 so the tales told in this trade are new reads for me.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

Seems I largely prefer original back issues--when prices and lack of reprints allow--of comics over their sterile trade paperback counterparts, so I've been reading some old issues of The Brave and the Bold, which are Batman team ups, and DC Comics Presents, which are Superman teamups. Even though these are comics from 1978-80, I never really read these as a kid, so they're "new" to me. Lots of fun, without all that continuity and consistency nonsense that Marvel was always fixated on.

Conch- Your old buddy Bob Layton was down in South Florida for a comic con. Naturally, I didn't go. Can't tolerate all those greedy fans wanting everything signed and "witnessed" (at ten bucks a pop) by those CGC vultures. Very few real fans go to those conventions.

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#43 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:Seems I largely prefer original back issues--when prices and lack of reprints allow--of comics over their sterile trade paperback counterparts, so I've been reading some old issues of The Brave and the Bold, which are Batman team ups, and DC Comics Presents, which are Superman teamups. Even though these are comics from 1978-80, I never really read these as a kid, so they're "new" to me. Lots of fun, without all that continuity and consistency nonsense that Marvel was always fixated on.

Conch- Your old buddy Bob Layton was down in South Florida for a comic con. Naturally, I didn't go. Can't tolerate all those greedy fans wanting everything signed and "witnessed" (at ten bucks a pop) by those CGC vultures. Very few real fans go to those conventions.
I actually love the trades. There were only so many comics I could afford back on my allowance so these collections are great to fill in the gaps of great stories. Getting the back issues, while cool, makes for a storage problem, something I dealt with, badly, in my teen years. I like being able to stick them on a bookshelf as well, alongside Tolkien, Twain and Hemingway, just to see people's reactions. :D
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Little Garwood »

I have two shelves of trades, because I wouldn't want to spring for an original copy of, say, Giant-Sze X-Men #1, :wink: but in cases of things unlikely to be reprinted and not expensive, I obviously have to go the back issue route. I also enjoy those old DC House Ads...

At my hacienda, Hemingway occupies three different shelves in two different rooms; big "Papa" fan here.

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#45 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:At my hacienda, Hemingway occupies three different shelves in two different rooms; big "Papa" fan here.
Have you seen the movie Papa:Hemingway in Cuba? I caught on the flight, pretty good. Especially in comparison to the unwatchable Suicide Squad and barely viewable X-Men: Apocolypse.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Little Garwood »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:At my hacienda, Hemingway occupies three different shelves in two different rooms; big "Papa" fan here.
Have you seen the movie Papa:Hemingway in Cuba? I caught on the flight, pretty good. Especially in comparison to the unwatchable Suicide Squad and barely viewable X-Men: Apocolypse.
Yes. Saw Papa Hemingway in Cuba at the theater and enjoyed it despite its flaws.

Comicswise, I've been on a World's Finest kick for the (late) Rich Buckler artwork. Buckler has a distinctive way of laying out his panels, though I'm sure it's Neal Adams influenced. In fact, Buckler's art, when inked by the great Dick Giordano has an Adamsesque look about it.

I've also grown to appreciate the many (many) covers illustrated by the Ross Andru-Dick Giordano team. I've lost track of the number of superb Superman and Action Comics covers they did.

There's also writer-artist Ed Hannigan, who along with That Man Giordano, also produced many outstanding covers.

And if anyone can recommend a free photo hosting service, I'll put some of those covers up. :)

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#47 Post by ConchRepublican »

Splitting my recuperation time (ruptured Achilles 9/23, surgery 9/29, still in a boot :-/ ) between The Fantastic Four John Byrne Omnibus Vol 1 and Jim Starlin's The Warlock Complete Collection trade.

As well as Maclean's A River Runs Through It book of short stories and Vonnegut's Welcome to the Monkey House and other stories.

Speaking of artists, I'm friends with Jerry Bingham on FB, he who pencilled some Iron Man issues during the great Layton run as well as a bit of Batman for DC, and it's amazing to see what he's up to now. We (or at least I) usually see these guys through the lens of their comic work and not their other artistic outlets. He does some great work.

https://www.jerrybingham.com/
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Little Garwood »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:46 pmI went to my first and only comic book convention around 1982, before it had the cool "Comic-Con" name. It was in the lobby of the Hilton I think in Grand Central Station in New York. I was about 15 (a young 15 at that), and had a chance to talk to Bob Layton for a minute. I was disappointed he left his run on Iron Man, one of my fave titles at the time. The art really dropped off when he left, and I wanted to get an idea why decided to go. I didn't get the whole business side of things at the time, but he came across as an arrogant jerk with a laughed off response. Something like "What, I was supposed to do it forever?" or something like that.
Received vols. 13 and 14 of the Iron Man Marvel Masterworks this past Christmas. There’s one more volume to go before the entirety of the first Michelinie-Layton (and sometimes JRJR and Jerry Bingham) run is given the “Masterworks” treatment.

Against my better judgement, I watched an interview with our old pal Layton and yes imo he does come across as, if not arrogant, but a “bro” type. I read something on John Byrne’s forum in which Byrne—himself no stranger to arrogant behavior—wrote some less-than-flattering things about Layton’s inks wiping out JRJR’s pencils.

With that out of the way, now I’m off to see how sausage is made…it can’t possibly be any more unpleasant than the stories of these comic dudes. :wink:

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#49 Post by ConchRepublican »

By recommendation on the interwebs I picked up the trade of The Twelve, originally released in 2007, by J. Michael Straczynski and artist Chris Weston which tells the story of "other" Golden Age Marvel heroes (contemporaries of the Invaders) brought into modern times. It's kind of a mash-up of DC's All-Star Squadron and The Watchmen. Really good read, I recommend it ... but I'm a sucker for the Golden Age heroes.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/character ... the_twelve

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Complete- ... 0785154302
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Little Garwood »

Volume 15 of Iron Man: Marvel Masterworks is due out in November of this year, which would complete the hallowed Michelinie-Layton-Romita, Jr. run. Once I get my copy, I need never buy* another comic collection.

*Probably :wink:

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#51 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:36 pm Volume 15 of Iron Man: Marvel Masterworks is due out in November of this year, which would complete the hallowed Michelinie-Layton-Romita, Jr. run. Once I get my copy, I need never buy* another comic collection.

*Probably :wink:
Thank you for the heads up!! I received Captain Britain: Siege of Camelot recently and just ordered Thor and the Eternals: Celestials Saga.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Little Garwood »

I neglected to mention that back in December I bought Tales of the Batman: Marv Wolfman, which I have yet to release from its cellophane. :lol: I vaguely remember these 1980-era Batman comics of Wolfman’s brief run, but even then I didn’t think much of them. However, The Power of Nostalgia decided I needed to own this hardcover….

Marv Wolfman is a comics writer I put in the same category as Roger Stern: well-regarded writers whose overrall body of work hasn’t resonated with me at the same high level as it has with other comic fans. Both have done work via limited comic runs I enjoy a great deal, though (Marv’s 1979 Fantastic Four run and Stern’s 1983 Avengers work).

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#53 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:22 pm I neglected to mention that back in December I bought Tales of the Batman: Marv Wolfman, which I have yet to release from its cellophane. :lol: I vaguely remember these 1980-era Batman comics of Wolfman’s brief run, but even then I didn’t think much of them. However, The Power of Nostalgia decided I needed to own this hardcover….

Marv Wolfman is a comics writer I put in the same category as Roger Stern: well-regarded writers whose overral body of work hasn’t resonated with me at the same high level as it has with other comic fans. Both have done work via limited comic runs I enjoy a great deal, though (Marv’s 1979 Fantastic Four run and Stern’s 1983 Avengers work).
That sounds interesting! Wolfman was great on The New Teen Titans with George Perez and I've heard Tomb of Dracula was fantastic. I keep looking around for that because online costs are outrageous.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#54 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm remiss in not addressing the passing of the great George Perez sooner. The man is arguably the greatest artist in the history of the medium and complete class as a person. Yesterday, 5/22, they streamed his memorial service on FB. I'd guess it's still available for those interested.

In his honor I have been rereading the JLA/Avengers team-up and ordered a trade of Wonder Woman, which I didn't read at the time.

His loss is tremendous, but his gifts will last forever.

Rest in Peace George Perez.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Little Garwood »

Given George Perez’s penchant for illustrating large groups of characters, someone nailed it when they referred to Perez as “the Cecil B. Demille of comic book artists.”

We also lost the legendary and infinitely influential Neal Adams this past momth.

~Tom Selleck