The Comic Book thread

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Comic Book thread

#11 Post by Stelth »

I'l like to see the illustration of the lobstrosities.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

I believe The Prisoner #5 (which covers The Drawing of the Three) will contain the lobstrosities. #1 and #2 are out now. Here's the only pic I've seen.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Stelth »

Makes me hungry.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Little Garwood »

Slightly OT, but I'll toss it out there for my fellow Magnum-Mania colleagues...

When did girls start liking comic books? :wink: As a 1980s-era comic-book-reading teenager, it would not have been imaginable: actual living girls in my local comic shop (LCS) and interested in comic books!!! When I was a kid, the only women one would see in a comic store were the mothers of the boys who begged them to drive them there. In recent years, however, there are just as many women shopping for comics and comic-related items as there are men. When did this all begin?

Most guys around my age associate this type of person with comic books/sci-fi interests:

Now, however...there is the "Cosplay" phenomenon, where super-gorgeous women dress as their (or our) favorite heroes or villains. Even if my LCS happened to have female customers, they most certainly didn't look like this girl:

Is it merely a case of exhibitionists knowing that the nerdy, comic-loving audience will worship their beauty? Is it because these women are making money from this mode of dress up? Or is it just that there was a stigma against women liking comic books? Once again...when did this all begin? I'm not complaining, mind you. In fact, I'm thrilled beyond belief! However, the girls-interested-in-comics thing seemingly came out of nowhere in that thousands upon thousands of gorgeous women would descend upon nerdom's most cherished inner sanctum sanctorum.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

I hear ya Little Garwood. It used to mean being banished to the Table of Misfit Boys if one was found with a comic book back in the late 70s and 80s when I was growing up. If a girl saw you with one? Gigglefest and instant banishment to the caste "untouchable".

Checking in on Newsarama and Comic Book News, it seems like things, in some cases, may have gone too far the other way.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

I have no issue with it.

If ladies want to get into comic books, good for them!

I also think the cos-players are of a different ilk than the general female comic book fan, though, so it may not be a representative sample.

(I also have no issue with the cos-players)

:magnum:

ConchRepublican

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:I have no issue with it.

If ladies want to get into comic books, good for them!

I also think the cos-players are of a different ilk than the general female comic book fan, though, so it may not be a representative sample.

(I also have no issue with the cos-players)

:magnum:
I agree, I'm glad to see the expansion of the appreciation of comics. They've come a long way baby.

The cos-play thing I don't get. Don't get me wrong, people have done amazing jobs with the accuracy of their costumes, I just don't understand it. But hey, some people quilt. I don't get that either. I do also think there's just a little bit of exhibitionism going on. But, to quote Jerry Seinfeld "not there's anything wrong with that".
CoziTV Superfan spot

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:Currently I'm reading the beginning of the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson run on Daredevil, featuring Elektra and Kingpin
This is where my comic book phase began in the early 80s. I really got into Daredevil and collected tons of them. I have most of the complete run from #1 to #200 in storage...somewhere! I read a bunch of stuff in the 80s, mostly Marvel. Spiderman, X-Men, Secret Wars series, some Superman. Really liked Wolverine (not original, I know). I think my favourite comic of all time in terms of storyline was a one off Spiderman vs Wolverine.

I know lots of guys are still into comics, but I don't really like the more "adult" feel they have. I like my comics playful and child-like. Oh yeah, speaking of which, I read a lot of Archie back then too! I don't really consider Mad to be a comic, but I guess it is. So lump me in with the Mad fans. I actually still read back issues from the 70s and 80s whenever I get a chance.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:Currently I'm reading the beginning of the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson run on Daredevil, featuring Elektra and Kingpin
This is where my comic book phase began in the early 80s. I really got into Daredevil and collected tons of them. I have most of the complete run from #1 to #200 in storage...somewhere!
I have most of the Miller-Janson stuff. I loved Miller's--and later, Denny O'Neil's--run on Daredevil. My collection is most of that stuff up to and around #207. I was out of then-current comics by the time of Miller's "second coming" in 1986 or so, but have caught up with that brief run as well. Loved it.
----------------

Well, it took me nearly three years to "pull the trigger", but at last I have Uncanny X-Men Masterworks Volume 8. This one went out of print fast even though it was only released in early 2012. There was one precious copy left at my local comic shop that I have been eyeing for months. How it managed to survive the release of an X-Men movie and remain on the shelf is a milagrito. I "had to" get it.

Volume 8 collects issues #160-167; the "Sleazoid (Brood) Saga" of my youth, specifically sixth grade. I remember discovering these comics in that b_tch Mrs. Nitti's reading class when Noel F. brought in his entire collection for all the comic nerds to read. I borrowed the entire story line and of course loved it, though I knew even then that it was a glorified Alien ripoff. However, the story remains powerful because I think being among truly outrageous beings shows just how human our Mutant heroes really are, which was the whole point of the series since the beginning.

The Brood saga was a huge deal back when these books were published. How nice that it led into Paul Smith's brilliant, but woefully short, run as Uncanny X-Men artist.

Speaking of the art, I wasn't crazy about Dave Cockrum's "new" art style upon his return to the book but by the time of the Brood saga, his work was once again superb. Maybe it had to do with Dave doing those outer space stories so well.

To witness the comics I knew upon their original publication getting the Masterworks treatment thirty years after the fact almost brings my X-Men days full circle. I'll have to wait until volume 9 is released next month. Volume 9 signifies both the peak and ultimate end of my childhood comic reading days.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Little Garwood »

Included in the Uncanny X-Men Marvel Masterworks Volume 9 that I received last week is the near-legendary 1982 graphic novel, GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS, which I call near-legendary because it was unattainable to young me back in '82 due to the imposing $5.95 cover price, so I've never read this until now. GLMK was intended as a "prestige" publication as the book's creator's are named "Christopher Claremont" and "Brent Eric Anderson" for this title. I'm 27 pages into it--I'm savoring this for my night-time reading--and it really is intense stuff, especially for the time period. Cheers to MMW for including this tale along with the Wolverine miniseries and regular UXM run.

~Tom Selleck

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Danno »

I collected Spiderman, Batman, Ironman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics when I was a teenager in the 1990s.
I really liked the Todd McFarlane Spiderman- his drawings are so dynamic.

I have a complete, authentic Indiana Jones costume all made by the same sources as the original costume and collect Star Wars prop replicas every now and then but it's a hobby I don't have much time for and I'd never go to a convention or the like. Most fans of these things scare me.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:I collected Spiderman, Batman, Ironman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics when I was a teenager in the 1990s.
I really liked the Todd McFarlane Spiderman- his drawings are so dynamic.

I have a complete, authentic Indiana Jones costume all made by the same sources as the original costume and collect Star Wars prop replicas every now and then but it's a hobby I don't have much time for and I'd never go to a convention or the like. Most fans of these things scare me.
Sounds familiar, Danno. I think you and I would get along well!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Little Garwood »

You never know who you'll run into in the comic pages:

From X-Men Annual #7 (1983)

It's The Impossible Man-as-Tom-Selleck-as-Thomas-Magnum. The entire issue is a bit of madness. I'm reading it and a bunch of other great comics, in the aforementioned Uncanny X-Men Marvel Masterworks Vol. 9

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:You never know who you'll run into in the comic pages:

It's The Impossible Man-as-Tom-Selleck-as-Thomas-Magnum. The entire issue is a bit of madness. I'm reading it and a bunch of other great comics, in the aforementioned Uncanny X-Men Marvel Masterworks Vol. 9
Funny stuff!

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#25 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:You never know who you'll run into in the comic pages:

I remember that issue!

There was an early New Mutants issue where they were watching MPI as well.

CoziTV Superfan spot