What are you reading?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

#121 Post by Sam »

You can find some episodes on Youtube....
In fact I watched them film some of the opening scene from this episode..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiwAyafY2M

The lake and amusement park scenes were filmed at Lake Minnetonka a western suburb of Minneapolis.The raspberry farms scenes we done in Hopkins Mn.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

It seems it's available for streaming through Hulu.
https://www.hulu.com/route-66[/quote]
Cool, thanks. I don't have Hulu today, but maybe I need to remedy that. :magnum: :higgins:[/quote]

Hi Guys,
Route 66 is on Youtube for free.
A consensus of the members at the Route 66 Yahoo Group usually pick the following (see below)episodes as the best ones(in no particular order). One usually has to watch a episode twice to pick up every nuance/idea/angle. Many of the titles in the series are literary allusions.
The last scene in "Suppose I said I Was The Queen of Spain" is considered a acting tour de force by Lois Nettleton(wife of radio legend Jean Shepherd), the writing amazing, it's been used/emulated in acting/writing classes. I confess I merely like it but professional writers/teachers/actors praise it, so what do I know. Subjective and all that rot, as it were.
In "Gallant Lieutenant", special forces vet Linc runs into his old Lt, who has regressed to a child because of war wounds, and dedicates himself to help, perhaps stretching for years into the future. This is where Route 66 is different. Instead of rah rah and flags flying and lauding Linc's honoring his brotherhood with still more sacrifices, his road pal Tod coldly urges Linc to blow off the Lt., giving him a few days to think it over before he leaves without him. Is Tod actually the kind one?
This episode is probably the first time the Vietnam War was part of the story in a network drama, with a veteran (Linc) as a on going character. By the way the two leads are flawed characters like in Magnum, sometimes employing petty betrayals of the other in order to land women but who hasn't done that when you were in your 20's. By the way, if you do a "search" for all the stars(then and in the future) who appeared on Route 66 it is amazing, just as with the Twilight Zone an indication of quality.

One Tiger to a Hill
Voice at the End of the Line
Across Walnuts and Wine
Birdcage on My Foot(with Robert Duvall)
Suppose I Said I Was the Queen of Spain
Somehow It Gets to Be Tomorrow
What a Shining Young Man Was Our Gallant Lieutenant
The Stone Guest
Even Stones Have Eyes
Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#123 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm absorbed with John D. MacDonald right now (AKA "Johnny Mac"). One of the greatest crime and suspense authors of all-time!

"(He was) the great entertainer of our age, and a mesmerizing storyteller." - Stephen King

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#124 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:I'm absorbed with John D. MacDonald right now (AKA "Johnny Mac"). One of the greatest crime and suspense authors of all-time!

"(He was) the great entertainer of our age, and a mesmerizing storyteller." - Stephen King

Nice to see you back James! I love the covers of those old pulp novels. Reminds me of Spillane's covers.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MikeS
Admiral

#125 Post by MikeS »

BASIC ECONOMICS
A Common Sense Guide to the Economy
Thomas Sowell
5th Edition
MikeS

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by eagle »

Just finished "Chuchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare," by Giles Milton. Absolutely loved it.

Now reading "A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts," by Andrew Chaikin.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#127 Post by ConchRepublican »

My reading slowed down a bit the last year. We took a trip out to Colorado over the summer so I wanted to get in the mood and started this monster, Centennial by Michener. It took FOREVER . . . I really only have time to read during my commute so it felt like a marathon and I think took away a bit of my reading mojo afterwards.

I then read Legends of the Fall by Harrison in September . . .

I tried reading A River Runs Through It by McLean while recuperating from my ruptured Achilles, but it was just too slow. Or, maybe it was my mindset.

I'm still finishing up Vonnegut's Welcome to the Monkey House and other short stories which I read here and there . . .

I have MacDonald's One Fearful Yellow Eye next up.

After that I'm awaiting the next Randy Wayne White book, Caribbean Rim, in March! I love me my Doc Ford.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#128 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:I have MacDonald's One Fearful Yellow Eye next up.

After that I'm awaiting the next Randy Wayne White book, Caribbean Rim, in March! I love me my Doc Ford.

Awesome, love Randy Wayne White! Gulf Coast of Florida, Doc Ford, 1990's onward! So many great stories! He really carried the torch admirably that John D. MacDonald left behind, in terms of how authentic, well-written, well-plotted Florida crime/mystery stories goes! Interesting character, too! :)

Sanibel Flats, the first Doc Ford book, still resonates with me. Just a superb book!

Edit: Photobucket is getting all wonky on you, Conch. Photobucket blows! :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#129 Post by marlboro »

I've read more books in the last 6 months than I have since I was a teenager. Most of 'em were crap but some have been worthwhile. Here are a few of the better ones that spring to mind:

The Joke Milan Kundera
Till We Have Faces C. S. Lewis
Five Little Pigs Agatha Christie
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold John le Carré
The Pigman Paul Zindel
Children of Time Adrian Tchaikovsky

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by KingKC »

I consider myself a student of baseball history and have been reading The Cooperstown Casebook - Who's in the Baseball Hall of Fame, Who Should Be in, and Who Should Pack Their Plaques by Jay Jaffe. I actually developed a new mathematical rating system for Hall of Famers and wrote a book about it a couple of years ago but could not find anyone who would publish it.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by eagle »

If you like baseball and fiction, check out John Grisham's "Calico Joe." Very fast, easy read. I didn't realize it was fiction at first, and it is so convincing that I really thought it was a true story.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#132 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:I've read more books in the last 6 months than I have since I was a teenager. Most of 'em were crap but some have been worthwhile. Here are a few of the better ones that spring to mind:

The Joke Milan Kundera
The Pigman Paul Zindel
Marlboro is getting all literary on us here!
KingKC wrote:I consider myself a student of baseball history and have been reading The Cooperstown Casebook - Who's in the Baseball Hall of Fame, Who Should Be in, and Who Should Pack Their Plaques by Jay Jaffe. I actually developed a new mathematical rating system for Hall of Famers and wrote a book about it a couple of years ago but could not find anyone who would publish it.
That sounds very interesting! Are you a deep stats, Moneyball kinda guy as well?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by KingKC »

ConchRepublican wrote:
marlboro wrote:I've read more books in the last 6 months than I have since I was a teenager. Most of 'em were crap but some have been worthwhile. Here are a few of the better ones that spring to mind:

The Joke Milan Kundera
The Pigman Paul Zindel
Marlboro is getting all literary on us here!
KingKC wrote:I consider myself a student of baseball history and have been reading The Cooperstown Casebook - Who's in the Baseball Hall of Fame, Who Should Be in, and Who Should Pack Their Plaques by Jay Jaffe. I actually developed a new mathematical rating system for Hall of Famers and wrote a book about it a couple of years ago but could not find anyone who would publish it.
That sounds very interesting! Are you a deep stats, Moneyball kinda guy as well?
Very much a deep stats guy. I am actually revising my mathematical rating system and going to take a second shot at getting a book published.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by Reef monkey »

Right now I am reading "The Gulf: The Making of An American Sea" by Jack Davis. It is a natural history and cultural history of the Gulf of Mexico and the parts of the US that border it and are affected by and affect it.

Before then, it was Pleasant Bend, a locally published history of the part of Houston I live in, West Harris County along Buffalo Bayou. And before that, "Sex, Death and Oysters" by Robb Walsh, my favorite food writer.
When award-winning Texas food writer Robb Walsh discovers that the local Galveston Bay oysters are being passed off as Blue Points and Chincoteagues in other parts of the country, he decides to look into the matter. Thus begins a five-year journey of discovery into the culture of one of the world’s oldest delicacy, and adventure that takes him from oyster reefs to oyster bars and from corporate boardrooms to hotel bedrooms in a quest for the truth about the world’s most profitable aphrodisiac. On the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts of the United States, as well as the Canadian Maritimes, Ireland, England, and France, the author ingests thousands of oysters—raw, roasted, barbecued, and baked. He also carefully considers the merits of a wide variety of accompanying libations, including tart white wines in Paris, Guinness in Galway, martinis in London, and tequila in Texas. Sex, Death and Oysters is a record of a gastronomic expedition—a fascinating collection of the most exciting, instructive, and just plain weird experiences on a journey into the world of the most beloved and feared of all seafoods.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#135 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm re-reading Slob by Rex Miller (1987). The first book about Daniel "Chaingang" Bunkowski, a 500-pound, precognate, U.S. military-trained (one-man Vietnam wrecking ball), serial killer. Truly terrifying stuff! :shock:

"SLOB really smokes. It's got muscle it hasn't even used yet. It's the place where old John D. used to work before Travis McGee got winded. Cain and Dutch Leonard and Jim Thompson and Jim Tully sing in these pages. Caniff's rhythm and smart talk, Hemingway's mean, Alfie Bester's cinematography. It pulls the plow, this writing." - Harlan Ellison