How do you not look like a tourist in Hawaii?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

How do you not look like a tourist in Hawaii?

#1 Post by The Birdman »

I'm thinking I'll go over and check out the big island in a while. Take about a week vacation.
Are there any hawaiins on here? Bradda-Kimmo?
I'm not a beach person, for the most part. I'm planning on either renting a Harley or a Jeep and going around the perimeter of the big island and looking at some rural real estate I see on Craigslist. How should I dress to blend in and not get singled out when hanging out in local places? I normally wear combat boots, black or blue jeans (dirty) a black t-shirt and a black, grey or tan mechanics shirt. Wallet chain. Normally I would say I do not look like a tourist, but I have no idea about hawaii? Do localls actually wear hawaiin shirts there? I used to wear those all the time, still have a few.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

Re: How do you not look like a tourist in Hawaii?

#2 Post by Lily »

Birdman, I think you would be more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt or regular short sleeved shirt and either sandals or flip flops. Oh and don't forget a hat! Yes you do see people wearing Hawaiian shirts and there are so many in the stores to buy, even Magnum's famous red shirt.

In all the years of going to the islands, have always found people to be extremely friendly, hence we return year after year. We think of the islands as a second home and even fly the Hawaiian flag here, along with our own! That is how much we love Hawaii!

The Big Island of Hawaii is the only isle which we personally wouldn't visit again, mainly due to the daily vog from the active volcano, also I didn't care for the miles of lava which I found strangely depressing. We stayed the Kona side which is very dry. Hilo side is really more lush.

We love Oahu and Maui but again, its personal preference. Think you have to read up as much as you can about the island, especially if you are interested in buying land there.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a lovely holiday and look forward to reading about it here.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by The Birdman »

Lily wrote:Birdman, I think you would be more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt or regular short sleeved shirt and either sandals or flip flops. Oh and don't forget a hat! Yes you do see people wearing Hawaiian shirts and there are so many in the stores to buy, even Magnum's famous red shirt.

In all the years of going to the islands, have always found people to be extremely friendly, hence we return year after year. We think of the islands as a second home and even fly the Hawaiian flag here, along with our own! That is how much we love Hawaii!

The Big Island of Hawaii is the only isle which we personally wouldn't visit again, mainly due to the daily vog from the active volcano, also I didn't care for the miles of lava which I found strangely depressing. We stayed the Kona side which is very dry. Hilo side is really more lush.

We love Oahu and Maui but again, its personal preference. Think you have to read up as much as you can about the island, especially if you are interested in buying land there.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a lovely holiday and look forward to reading about it here.
Yeah, I've read about the vog, my understanding is that Kona (oddly the expensive side of the island) is where the vog is because it is leeward, Hilo doesn't have vog, from what I've heard. My aunt gos to hawaii for 1 month a year, different islands, she says the big island is the one she'd choose to live on. All I know is it is the one I can afford, LOL.

Yeah, I've been reading up on it... mostly bad... http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2632
has got me kinda worried.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

Sounds like we have another motorcycle enthusiast on here....I wouldn't give two darns abouth what the locals thought about me wearing if I lived over there or did I care the two times I visited. Be yourself and be comfortable is my motto..............

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by The Birdman »

Steve wrote:Sounds like we have another motorcycle enthusiast on here....I wouldn't give two darns abouth what the locals thought about me wearing if I lived over there or did I care the two times I visited. Be yourself and be comfortable is my motto..............
Thanks. This thread has been kinda dead. I just changed jobs, then quit 2 weeks later, so maybe I'll be going over there sooner than later. :D
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:Sounds like we have another motorcycle enthusiast on here....I wouldn't give two darns abouth what the locals thought about me wearing if I lived over there or did I care the two times I visited. Be yourself and be comfortable is my motto..............
Amen to that Steve. Why do people worry so much that when they travel they will be outed as "tourists" and therefore a rube worthy of fear and loathing? I maintain the opposite is true, a well traveled person is bound to be worldly and appreciative of all the good things to be found beyond their home.
I took a Hawaiian shirt along on every vacation I have been on. They are light and comfortable and acceptable in places they wouldnt let you in if you had a t-shirt on and people almost always compliment me on them. Heck yes a person should wear one in Hawaii. But spend the extra money and get a good one.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Mr. Greene »

Every time I've been there it's not really how you dress as long as you don't act like a moron you'll be fine. Be comfortable and yourself

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#8 Post by marlboro »

Clothes make the man.

Of course, if you are feeling daring, you can always go with the boldly ostentatious Hot Dog Shirt + Small Hand Gun combination:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

marlboro wrote:Clothes make the man.

Of course, if you are feeling daring, you can always go with the boldly ostentatious Hot Dog Shirt + Small Hand Gun combination:

Hmmmm...How would the Navy Seal short shorts pair up with the hot dog shirt.I can truly embarrass my family with that combo!

Mac
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by Mac »

Hey Birdman,
Did you ever make it to The Big Island? I live in Kailua-Kona, and I have a Harley. The most common dress here is shorts, t-shirt, and slippers (flip-flops). Of course, if you are riding, jeans and boots work just fine.
Cheers!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

Mac wrote:Hey Birdman,
I live in Kailua-Kona, and I have a Harley. The most common dress here is shorts, t-shirt, and slippers (flip-flops). Of course, if you are riding, jeans and boots work just fine.
Cheers!

Good to hear from a brother rider.......My Magnum themed riding attire..................

Mac
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by Mac »

I like it!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by The Birdman »

Mac wrote:Hey Birdman,
Did you ever make it to The Big Island? I live in Kailua-Kona, and I have a Harley. The most common dress here is shorts, t-shirt, and slippers (flip-flops). Of course, if you are riding, jeans and boots work just fine.
Cheers!
Wow. This thread is 3 years old. No I never made it over. Life got in the way. Haven't been on here in a lloonnngggg time, just happened to come back and found my old thread.
Uh PHRASING!!!!