Dec 8th 1980

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

Dec 8th 1980

#1 Post by Mavrick »

Don"t know how to Start this, but here I go

John Lennon was shot dead at the age of 40 at 10:55pm on Monday December 8, 1980 in front of The Dakota Building in New York city. (WEST 72nd STREET)

Weather if you were /are a Beatles/John Lennon fan or not He was apart of one of the most influential Rock bands in the World and his music will live on and on. ( sorry I am a Big Time Beatles fan)

Well this is where it gets a little Strange

John Lennon ~ The New York Years exhibit ~ The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Annex NYC opened in april of 09 ( I just came across this today )

But I found somethig that was quite disturbing to me and I really want to know your thoughts and feelings on this, I want to see if I am alone in my thinking and feelings here, At the end of the exhibit they had on public display the blood stained clothes that he was murdered in. To me this was a very tasteless and in very bad form, and this has really angered me. so what do you think gang em I wrong here for feeling this way?

( Sorry Gang I had to get this off my chest)
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2 Post by Pahonu »

While I am sure many are not comfortable with the idea of displaying the blood-stained clothing, it is not an unusual or disrespectful thing, I believe. In fact, the clothing and bed linens of president Lincoln's assassination are on display at the home where he died across the street from Ford's Theater in Washington DC. They have been there for well over a century commemorating one of our greatest presidents and remembering the great loss.
Last edited by Pahonu on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Pahonu wrote:While I am sure many are not comfortable with the idea of displaying the blood-stained clothing, it is not an unusual or disrespectful thing, I believe. In fact, the clothing and bed linnens of president Lincoln's assassination have been on display at the home where he died across the street from Ford's Theater in Washington DC. They have been there for well over a century commemorating one of our greatest presidents and remembering the great loss.
Agree. To see the bloodstained clothes is a reminder of the life that was lost... that he was killed and taken from his family for no apparent reason. It reminds you that someone died in those clothes... and doesn't just earmark it as a footnote in history.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#4 Post by Mavrick »

True I see your guys point, and a very good one at that, I don"t know it just sit right with me, maybe it is because I am such a big big big fan, To me it is like somebody which shall remain nameless is only trying to Make a buck with this, IAnd I really feel bad for his Two sons, it had to be so Hard on them to see that stuff, I understand it is history and I understand that we should remember; But I also understand why he was killed, He was killed, Because the killer thought if he Killed Lennon he would get his fame and his name would live on forever, and Knowning that was the reason that he did, I so badly want people to forget his name and he doesn't get what he truely wanted, I don't know maybe I am just really off with the way I am thinking.
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I wouldn't have included it, I just hope they asked Yoko and their sons if they approved. How many remember like I do, of hearing the news from Howard Cossell on Monday Night Football..................

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#6 Post by Mavrick »

Yes I remember that and the newspapers the next day wow, as for Yoko approving it , well it was her idea to end it that way I far as I know from the Research I did the sons did not know anything about it, and the other two living beatles I have not found a thing on what they think or feel about this, I would love to know What Paul and Ringo have to say