Any Guitar players in the house?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm the Black Sheep in the forum . . . I can't stand Steely Dan. Something about their jazziness just turns me off. Must be because I don't play . . . it seems people who play are jazz fans.

Karma being what it is however, from time to time I find myself stalked by them. I listen to Sirius throughout the workday and when they come on, I usually bounce to a different station. Inevitably, 2 songs later, there they are again. This happens for about 5 stations before I've had enough and switch to my iPod.

I know, I know, I could just switch genres, but by that point I'm angered by the relentlessness of it.

I know . . . I have issues. :?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#12 Post by Mavrick »

No no your not a black sheep lol I bet if you start naming bands you like , We might like the same thing, I like all forms of music, just as long as it has little bit of heart and soul to it, I don"t like bubble gum , pop stuff
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#13 Post by Mavrick »

Ok I will start it off,, I am big time fan of the Beatles and I also big time fan of Jimmy buffett
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

LMAO Conch! No worries my friend. There is bound to be a few people out there who don't dig Becker/Fagen songs, and you're one of them. ;)

I bet you could get into some of their lesser known songs. Radio tends to regurgitate the same Dan songs over and over. A lot of their early stuff had more of a raw, rock edge to it. Once Baxter and company left, and they stopped touring, the songs had more of a polished jazz/pop production (thanks to Becker/Fagen's legendary quest for perfection and a revolving door of top shelf studio musicians). That stuff is great, too. It's just a totally different sound.

Anyway, here's some of the best recordings from their '74 tour.

http://magnum-mania.com/Misc/Steely_Dan_1974.zip

This stuff was never released commercially. My favorite tracks are "The Boston Rag", "Any Major Dude Will Tell You", "Your Gold Teeth II", "King of the World", "Brooklyn", and "Mobile Home". But hell, they are ALL great IMHO! You might want to stay away from "Your Gold Teeth II" Conch. It's way too "jazzy" for you. ;)

Backup singer/percussionist Royce Jones sings lead on "Brooklyn", "Dirty Work" and "Any Major Dude". The shows opened with "Bodhisattva" and ended with "Show Biz Kids" > "Mobile Home". "Mobile Home" is an unreleased song. Each band member would walk off the stage in pairs, leaving Jeff Porcaro and Jim Hodder to rip up an amazing drum solo duet! Porcaro was 19. McDonald 22.

I listen to these recordings and I think, "how in the world could Becker/Fagen decide to stop touring", it's so powerful, but they just hated life on the road. They loved performing, but hated everything else. It's great to see that they have been touring steadily since the early 90s (with a totally different lineup, with horns); a wonderful second-coming of The Dan, complete with a Grammy-winning album and all!

Enjoy!

Also, be sure to check out the classic "Do It Again" clip from Steely Dan's 1973 appearance on Bert Sugarman's Midnight Special. There are very few video clips of Steely Dan from the early '70s. This was before Porcaro and McDonald joined. David "Scary Teeth" Palmer on lead vocals (first album only). Skunk on congas. Great solo from Denny Dias! Wild to see Donald Fagen so young!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DivGUhX-5Y

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#15 Post by Mavrick »

That was a great youtube clip Thank you, They need to bring back that show the midnight special, I tried to open the other one from Steely Dan 1974 zip, but or some reason my computer would not open it.

I just wish i was able to see them play live

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks James!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

Thanks for sharing James!

I tried . . . still the same effect . . . :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Not a great mix, but still some really groovy stuff.

That dual drum solo is insane!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, no problem Conch. I won't hold it against you. ;) Music is a very subjective thing.

Styles, these are the best recordings available from that time period. They are all soundboards. The LA songs are particularly good quality as they were recorded live in-studio (at the Record Plant). They arn't "cleaned up" or dubbed like many live commercial releases, but they are soundboards nonetheless.

And yeah, the Porcaro/Hodder drum solo at the end of "Mobile Home" blows me away every time. What a way to end a show! I still can't believe Porcaro was only 19 at the time. One of the greatest drummers of all-time, for sure. It's a shame he died so young.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#20 Post by Mavrick »

He was nineteen wow I did not know that do you know what happen, I mean do you know how he died?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mavrick wrote:He was nineteen wow I did not know that do you know what happen, I mean do you know how he died?
No, he was 19 when he toured with Steely Dan in 1974. He died at 39 from a heart attack that was induced by accidentally inhaling insecticide while gardening.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#22 Post by Mavrick »

ohhhh Ok I got ya I was confused ther for a bit thank you

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Danno »

Yep, guitar player here!

I play a Gibson J-45, Rickenbacker 330 and a standard Tele.

Never really got into Steely Dan though. Most musos I know love SD and rave about them.

Anything The Beatles or Lennon. Pink Floyd. Neil Finn. Radiohead. Nick Drake... could talk music all day.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Dan,

Love the Rickenbacker 330! Great guitar!

I'm into most of the artists you listed, as well. Nick Drake's Pink Moon is a favorite. Talk about someone who died too young! What a tragedy.

Pink Floyd has always been one of my top bands. Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarists ever. Same for Waters on the bass. Both are brilliant songwriters. Some friends invited me to see Roger Waters' The Wall Tour recently. I would love to have seen it, but $125, uh, no thank you! I'll watch the video clips online. ;)