Any Guitar players in the house?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

Any Guitar players in the house?

#1 Post by Mavrick »

I figured this be a bech bar Topic don"t really know LOL, Does any one Know the Guitar Tab or the cords for the Magnums theme , I want to learn how to play it. So when my band and I play out we can put it in the play set . It would also be cool if I could find the Tab for bass guitar. Thanks for all your help
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Mav,

I don't have the tabs, but I play bass. I just started playing again after a 20-year layoff. It feels great to be playing again!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by zebra3 »

I play a mean air guitar.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#4 Post by Mavrick »

It good to hear that your plucking away again, J J. Yeah I started my new band about Six months ago and Befor that I took a six year Hiatus myself, Music has been my first Love, So what kind of bass do you have?

I have a Dean Edge Q4 bass with E M G pickups and I run through a Peavey T K O amp, and I have a Takamine acustic guitar and Fender strat and thats running through a Holland tube amp.

Yeah the music bug has bit me hard LOL, So what style music do you play? I play mainly rock and roll, I am heavily influenced By the sounds of the 50's and 60's myself.

And Zebra thats how I got started is by playing air guitar and thats when the Music Bug bit me LOL
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

I recently acquired a Fender Squier P-Bass Special. I used to have a Fender Precision.

When I last played (in High School), I played mostly classic rock and metal. No gigs or anything, just garage band fun with friends. I wasn't great by any stretch, but I was serviceable.

Right now I'm just trying to get my finger coordination back. I'm practicing bass lines from some of my favorite bands like The Cars, Cheap Trick, Tragically Hip, Steely Dan, Pixies, Fleetwood Mac, that kind of stuff.

I'll tell ya one thing, it's a lot easier to learn songs these days. Free tabs are all over the place (bassmasta.net!). When I last played you had to hunt down the songbooks. Ya gotta love the Net!

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#6 Post by Mavrick »

There is nothing like a sound of a P -bass, I love that full rich sound it gives. I notice some of the bands you mention, I love steely dan and The Cars also a hugh fan. There is a few web sites I go to , and they are one is chordie .com and the other one is songster.com and that one is really cool it has tab and and also has the music that play along with you and that site also has bass tab, The band I was in befor this was a cover band and I kinda got tired of playing covers, The one I am in now is also a garage band also, Nothing big at all we are in the very beginning phase of things. We got three originals.
Yeah I remember back in the day trying to find music was very hard and very costly, You are you right got to love the Net.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I use songsterr.com, too. Awesome that you can hear/see the tabs play out!

I'm going through a huge Steely Dan phase right now. I've always been a fan, but a friend recently gave me some recordings from their 1974 'Pretzel Logic' tour and I've been completely captivated by it! I'm a big live music guy and I don't think I've ever heard anything so good in my life. What a lineup - Skunk Baxter (guitar), Denny Dias (guitar), Jim Hodder (drums), and then a very young Jeff Porcaro (drums) and Michael McDonald (keyboards, vocals). Becker on bass, Fagen on keyboards. They would end their shows with a 5-minute dueling drum solo from Porcaro and Hodder. Wow, just incredible! This was the last tour they did before Becker and Fagen became an exclusively studio act (and their 1993 reunion tour). I've always thought of them as the quinntessential studio-only duo, but man, they really killed it live (and still do in the recent tours), especially in '74!

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#8 Post by Mavrick »

Wow what a hard find very cool!!! That is one heck of a line up your right about that. I wold love to hear that, I plum forgot Michael McDonald was even touring with them and that is a name that I havn"t heard in a long time. He has such an unique voice , and I also thought he was awesome in The Doobie Brothers, I am tell ya some guys have all the luck. Two major bands and a successful solo career. They sure don"t have bands out there live Steely Dan anymore and most of the bands out there today will never have the longevity as they do.

Well speaking of Pretzel Logic Check out this live tribute band You might of heard of them already but if not all I have to say is wow. http://steelydantribute.com/

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Love Steely Dan. I'm actually going though much of their stuff for the first time. Awesome musicians creating a truly unique sound.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen the tab for the MPI theme, but there are several tutorials you can find on youtube, if I'm not mistaken.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#10 Post by Mavrick »

Yeah I look on you tube and most of them just show the start of the song and not the whole thing . But thank you for the suggestion I will keep looking and after I find it I will try to post it LOL

I guess it is the water with steely dan, After talking with JJ I too have gotten on a Steely dan kick LOL and I forgot on how much I really enjoy their music

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm the Black Sheep in the forum . . . I can't stand Steely Dan. Something about their jazziness just turns me off. Must be because I don't play . . . it seems people who play are jazz fans.

Karma being what it is however, from time to time I find myself stalked by them. I listen to Sirius throughout the workday and when they come on, I usually bounce to a different station. Inevitably, 2 songs later, there they are again. This happens for about 5 stations before I've had enough and switch to my iPod.

I know, I know, I could just switch genres, but by that point I'm angered by the relentlessness of it.

I know . . . I have issues. :?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#12 Post by Mavrick »

No no your not a black sheep lol I bet if you start naming bands you like , We might like the same thing, I like all forms of music, just as long as it has little bit of heart and soul to it, I don"t like bubble gum , pop stuff

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#13 Post by Mavrick »

Ok I will start it off,, I am big time fan of the Beatles and I also big time fan of Jimmy buffett

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

LMAO Conch! No worries my friend. There is bound to be a few people out there who don't dig Becker/Fagen songs, and you're one of them. ;)

I bet you could get into some of their lesser known songs. Radio tends to regurgitate the same Dan songs over and over. A lot of their early stuff had more of a raw, rock edge to it. Once Baxter and company left, and they stopped touring, the songs had more of a polished jazz/pop production (thanks to Becker/Fagen's legendary quest for perfection and a revolving door of top shelf studio musicians). That stuff is great, too. It's just a totally different sound.

Anyway, here's some of the best recordings from their '74 tour.

http://magnum-mania.com/Misc/Steely_Dan_1974.zip

This stuff was never released commercially. My favorite tracks are "The Boston Rag", "Any Major Dude Will Tell You", "Your Gold Teeth II", "King of the World", "Brooklyn", and "Mobile Home". But hell, they are ALL great IMHO! You might want to stay away from "Your Gold Teeth II" Conch. It's way too "jazzy" for you. ;)

Backup singer/percussionist Royce Jones sings lead on "Brooklyn", "Dirty Work" and "Any Major Dude". The shows opened with "Bodhisattva" and ended with "Show Biz Kids" > "Mobile Home". "Mobile Home" is an unreleased song. Each band member would walk off the stage in pairs, leaving Jeff Porcaro and Jim Hodder to rip up an amazing drum solo duet! Porcaro was 19. McDonald 22.

I listen to these recordings and I think, "how in the world could Becker/Fagen decide to stop touring", it's so powerful, but they just hated life on the road. They loved performing, but hated everything else. It's great to see that they have been touring steadily since the early 90s (with a totally different lineup, with horns); a wonderful second-coming of The Dan, complete with a Grammy-winning album and all!

Enjoy!

Also, be sure to check out the classic "Do It Again" clip from Steely Dan's 1973 appearance on Bert Sugarman's Midnight Special. There are very few video clips of Steely Dan from the early '70s. This was before Porcaro and McDonald joined. David "Scary Teeth" Palmer on lead vocals (first album only). Skunk on congas. Great solo from Denny Dias! Wild to see Donald Fagen so young!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DivGUhX-5Y

:)

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#15 Post by Mavrick »

That was a great youtube clip Thank you, They need to bring back that show the midnight special, I tried to open the other one from Steely Dan 1974 zip, but or some reason my computer would not open it.

I just wish i was able to see them play live