I Need Your Hawaii Travel Advice!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jaybird
Admiral

#11 Post by Jaybird »

Lastyly, watch this incredible video. North shore of Molokai.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvDQmNtQaw

When you watch this you'll be able to visualize an episode that never happened. It could have been a good one. Higgins attempts to scale the cliffs of Molokai to pollinate the alula, a project for the botanical club. Someone else does not want this to happen. TC has to fly over these cliffs for the rescue whilst Magnum has a fight with the bad guy who tumbles 3000' down the cliffs to the ocean.

brunoffrance
Captain

my advices

#12 Post by brunoffrance »

All I know as advices is on my blog ( I've translated for you) at:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=fr&tl=en

We ve made "only" 2 islands ( Oahu and Big island) . See the article on Magnum and pictures;
See very good prices hotel we've found ( they are very cheaper than I 've seen on this thread...)....
lot of pictures so THE BIG ADVICE:

THERE IS NO HOTEL ( or affordable hotel and b&b ) out of Honolulu , Hilo & koa...
It's important to know that before the departure.... Motel 6 and super8 motel don't exist in hawaii so impossible to find a place to sleep without reservation !

Another advice.... No boats between the island ; all by flights so keep money for that if you want to do some islands as they are small and no use to spend one week by isle.... You have to organise each time hotels and renting cars before each departures and it's not very fun... With boats it'ld be more simple.....

but have a look on my blog to know what I've appreciated and not.

If that can help you.....
Very american 4 a french...

Jaybird
Admiral

Re: my advices

#13 Post by Jaybird »

brunoffrance wrote:All I know as advices is on my blog ( I've translated for you) at:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=fr&tl=en

We ve made "only" 2 islands ( Oahu and Big island) . See the article on Magnum and pictures;
See very good prices hotel we've found ( they are very cheaper than I 've seen on this thread...)....
lot of pictures so THE BIG ADVICE:

THERE IS NO HOTEL ( or affordable hotel and b&b ) out of Honolulu , Hilo & koa...
It's important to know that before the departure.... Motel 6 and super8 motel don't exist in hawaii so impossible to find a place to sleep without reservation !

Another advice.... No boats between the island ; all by flights so keep money for that if you want to do some islands as they are small and no use to spend one week by isle.... You have to organise each time hotels and renting cars before each departures and it's not very fun... With boats it'ld be more simple.....

but have a look on my blog to know what I've appreciated and not.

If that can help you.....
Bruno, there is a hostel in Honolulu that a friend has stayed at and says it's pretty decent....$25 I think.
http://www.seasidehawaiianhostel.com/
There is a boat, a high speed passenger boat, that travels between Honolulu and Maui. The local air service isn't bad but you need to get reservations early as they can book up. However, you still need to get to the airport and back but there are shuttle buses from various hotels @ about $10. The problem with staying in Honolulu is that you are always dealing with traffic if you want to go somewhere. That's why I like Kailua/Lanikai. Get off the plane, get your rental car and in 20-30 minutes you are on a beautiful beach. If you want to go back into Honolulu, "no pilikia".
On my trips I always just stay on one island, except for the Molokai Hoe race and then I paddle to Oahu! If I were coming from France...long trip, I'd stick to Maui, Oahu or Kauai (or just go to Tahiti) but myself, I'd rather go to Corsica. I love Corsica! Paradise.

Hawaii is definitely not cheap.

brunoffrance
Captain

#14 Post by brunoffrance »

Our aqua waikiki seaside was directly on the beach.... for $65 with breakfast... Really a good bargain !
The super ferry doesn't exist no more....

I regret that when I've asked advices to people that were gone in Hawaii, no body tells me the out honolulu problem and no boat situation....

it's just to share my Hawaii experience.

I've never gone in Corsica, even with friend owning an house there....
Very american 4 a french...

shrekmon
Ensign

#15 Post by shrekmon »

I live on Oahu. When one of my visitors asks such questions and is also looking to saving money I send them a No Worries Hawaii guidebook before they arrive. It has good maps, excellent advice and all the best places to see in Hawaii. These authors are bonafide adventure travelers who have trekked all over the islands. They have guides for all the islands. I use the Oahu Trailblazer constantly because I like to hike. Their blog http://www.trailblazerhawaii.com is a good preview.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

I was talking about Oahu with a guy at the pool the other day. First words out of his mouth were, "Stay away from the west side of the island." I guess that's some pretty good advice. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jaybird
Admiral

#17 Post by Jaybird »

J.J. Walters wrote:I was talking about Oahu with a guy at the pool the other day. First words out of his mouth were, "Stay away from the west side of the island." I guess that's some pretty good advice. ;)
Think of it as being in a remake of "Deliverance" with sun, sand and palm trees.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Frodoleader »

J.J. Walters wrote:I was talking about Oahu with a guy at the pool the other day. First words out of his mouth were, "Stay away from the west side of the island." I guess that's some pretty good advice. ;)
I guess it is always disapointing to hear things like that, even for Paradise! But unfortunately, also true. A couple of years ago I was at Gettysburg, chaperoning my sons class, when we were told by a local to avoid certain parts of town after dark. It just struck me as a bit surreal to think of historic Gettysburg as having a "rough side of town".
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan