A bona fide American Hero!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

A bona fide American Hero!

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

Today my wife and I were in a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Columbus, Ohio (I work in Columbus and live nearby). An elderly gentleman came up behind me as I was standing near the check out, looking at some cds. My wife said I was not in line and that he could go around me. B&N has a program going where you can donate a book to the local childrens hospital. This gentleman apparently took them up on the offer. When he finished and left, it was my turn. A moment later, he came back and said he decided to sign the book. I discreetly watched him (I stood only three feet away) and pondered why he was signing the book. Was he someone famous? He looked vaguely familiar. When he finished and left, the clerk said wasn't that wonderfull for him to do that? I asked who he was. "That was John Glenn! He comes in here all the time!" I would have guessed it was him, but convinced myself it was not. But wow! I stood a step away from a bona fide American hero! I did not bother him. I firmly believe in people's privacy. I would have done the same with Tom Selleck.

:D
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Great story! Men like John Glenn are the people that make this a great country. We need more like him!

Carmen
MPI

#3 Post by Carmen »

I would have done the same with Tom Selleck.
Me, too, but only cause I`d be so tongue-tied the only thing I could say was "aaaahhhh" and :oops: . So better behaviour would be to walk away and faint quietly in a corner.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Carmen wrote:
Me, too, but only cause I`d be so tongue-tied the only thing I could say was "aaaahhhh" and Embarassed . So better behaviour would be to walk away and faint quietly in a corner.
I'm pretty sure that would be my reaction too! :D

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I am a huge fan of the Space Program and particularly the original Mercury-7. Any idea what book it was he donated?

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

Steve wrote:I am a huge fan of the Space Program and particularly the original Mercury-7. Any idea what book it was he donated?
I really cannot say. The clerk just asked if you would like to donate a book to the local childrens hospital. My guess is that it could have been "Goodnight Moon".
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#7 Post by Agatha »

LOL!! You're too funny Carmen...but I'm with Sellecklover and would probably do the same thing, too!!

There are other threads that are talking about how leading men have become less "manly" and I think that the same is true about heroes. Not that there aren't still heroic people in our world but the spoiled and dumbed down sector of our population doesn't appreciate them. They're too busy idolizing chaotic people...like Brad and Angelina or Britiney Spears...and the American Idol.

What an honor to be that close to someone like John Glenn...who backs up his actions with presence and character...and class!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!