"Older" songs in heavy rotation on the radio

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

"Older" songs in heavy rotation on the radio

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't listen to the radio all that much, probably 4-5 hours a week total (mostly during my commute), but I swear I hear Dido's "Thank You" every time I land on the "Mix" station! This song is over ten years old! The "Mix" station plays mostly newer songs, but with a sprinkling of older ones, too. Is it just me, or has "Thank You" never left the "hot singles' rotation? It surely must be some sort of record! I like the song and all, but wow! :shock:

You guys have anything like this in your neck of the woods? A song that just never goes away?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I used to be a woodworker, which is the kind of job that invites having the radio on all day long. It didn't take long before I had to abandon commercial radio all together because of the insane repetition of the same old songs. It seems radio stations have their staple songs that they feel appeals to everyone, but if you listen enough, it drives you CRAZY!

'Let's Give 'Em Somethin' to Talk About' jumps to mind. OK, it's a fine tune, nothing special, but how many times in my life do I have to hear this song???

Radio here in Switzerland basically sucks. I just stick to my iPod these days. :)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Frodoleader »

I agree about the lack of variety on radio these days. I have found myself listening to NPR on the drive to work in the morning and sports talk radio on the ride home. Thats about all I listen to via the radio anymore. Everything else is either CDs or mp3 player.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Most radio stations seem to have about fifty songs that they play on a rotating basis. It is amazing. I usually listen to sports radio or my CD's.

MrMoustache
Commander

#5 Post by MrMoustache »

that's why i bought a satellite radio for the car and i listen to internet radio during work. if you're allowed to at work and have winamp or mediaplayer installed, browse the many many stations here:
http://www.shoutcast.com/

there's tons of good ones. if you're into 80's sky.fm has the best 80's channel i've heard yet!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, radio is not what it used to be, that's for sure. Old habits are hard to break, though. I still "cruise the dial" while in the car (no CD player). I just find it interesting that certain songs just don't seem to go off the main rotation on stations that predominantly play "new" songs.

A couple of others to add to the list:

Nickelback - How You Remind Me (2002)
Lifehouse - Hanging By A Moment (2001)
Maroon5 - This Love (2004)
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (2003)

I hear these songs all the time.... everywhere! I'm convinced they, along with Dido's "Thank You", will NEVER go away! I must say though, I never get tired of "Hanging By A Moment". GREAT song!

And one more thing - at least once or twice a week I will hear The Who's "Eminance Front" (1982) on the local rock station! This is some weird coincidence/timing thing on my part. Odd!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

James maybe they have the Who programed to lay at the exact same time every day! As unoriginal as radio stations are I would not be surprised.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

The radio in my car doesn't work so all I have is a cassette deck...but I don't have any cassettes anymore. I do play my MP3 player through the speakers in my car with a special adapter for my tape deck I got at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks. Ahhh....all Josh Groban...all the time! 8)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Add Buckcherry's "Sorry" and The Fray's "How To Save A Life" to the list!

I really need to get that car adapter for my Sansa...

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

That repetition is why I need my iPod and love satellite radio. It's one this to hear a song often, but the songs they choose, ugh!!!

I think I'd rather listen to what they supposedly used in Gitmo!!!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04