Paul McCartney @ The Ed Sullivan Theater

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Paul McCartney @ The Ed Sullivan Theater

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anyone catch Paul McCartney rock the Ed Sullivan Theater marquee the other day? "Coming Up", "Band on the Run", "Let Me Roll It", "Helter Skelter", and "Back in the USSR". "Coming Up" is one of my favorite McCartney songs. I used to have a 45 with a live version recorded in Glasgow, with a full horn section. Damn I wish I still had that!

http://www.cbs.com/late_show/video/mccartney.php

100x awesome! Talk about your living legends! The guy is 67 and doesn't look a day over 50. :shock:

I love how he still has Rusty Anderson (guitar, bass), Brian Ray (guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (drums) in his band. These guys have played in his touring band for years now. All are super solid musicians.

When the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan show in '64, 73 MILLION people watched. 73 MILLION!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Steve »

I missed it but have sure seen the replays of it. What a class act and gentleman McCartney is. I had the opportunity back in the Seventies to go to a Paul McCartney and Wings concert in St. Paul, MN and what a night it was! The guy just "has it" and there has not been one single interview with him over the years, from Howard Stern to Larry King where I don't hang on every word he speaks and smile.........

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#3 Post by SelleckLover »

James J. Walters wrote:
When the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan show in '64, 73 MILLION people watched. 73 MILLION!
One of those 73 million people was ME! I still remember it like it was yesterday! I was 13.

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#4 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I wish I had tickets to one of his two shows at Fenway Park in the first week of August :(

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, Abe Laboriel Jr. is an animal on the drums! I've never seen a drummer tower over his drum kit like he does. He absolutely kills it!

What fun it must be to be him. He tours with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood, then immediately goes out on the road with Paul McCartney! :shock:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

Speaking of his killer band, did anyone from any other parts of the Country hear the recording of Linda McCartney when a sound man at one of the old Wings concerts isolated her microphone? You could hear her attempts at singing background and she could not, and I am putting this politely, hold a tune at all. It played around here locally on the Steve & Garry Show which was our Howard Stern type radio show.........

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

Hi Steve..Yeah I do remember it..Did a search.
http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/03/li ... artney.mp3

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

Sam...You are my hero! I almost forgot just how funny it was.......

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That is hysterical! Anyone know if it's genuine?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

SelleckLover

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

Holy cow! Poor thing. She couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. I don't have much room to talk though, I can't either! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Linda herself admitted she couldn't sing very well. Her mic was usually buried deep in the mix during Wings live shows. Her keyboard playing wasn't too bad, though.

You gotta remember, she wasn't a musician or singer at all when she met Paul. She was a photographer. She learned a lot in a short period of time, and wasn't half bad if you ask me. She co-wrote several songs with Paul, including "Live and Let Die"! Plus, she was the love of his life. Let's cut her some slack.

You ever heard "Seaside Woman", with Linda on lead? Not too shabby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRg8wxZym6k

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Looks like we touched a raw nerve for you James, you're clearly a die hard McCartney fan. Linda's fine by me...but don't get me started on Yoko Ono.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

SelleckLover

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

James J. Walters wrote:
You ever heard "Seaside Woman", with Linda on lead? Not too shabby.
You're right James, not bad at all. Kind of a nice song too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Looks like we touched a raw nerve for you James, you're clearly a die hard McCartney fan.
Maybe a little. I know you guys didn't mean any harm by it, but that lady has been ridiculed to death ever since she hooked up with Paul - her looks, her voice, her wealthy upbringing, etc etc. That audio clip has been around for what seems like forever. I remember one of our local radio stations playing it back when Magnum was just starting out. Maybe they just caught her on a bad night.... who knows.

Anyway, no big deal guys. What can I say, I'm a die-hard McCartney fan! ;)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

Plus... she also stayed with him. No multimillion dollar settlements from Linda.

Gotta agree with James.. P-Mac could have done a whole lot worse!