Loss of iconic people

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

Loss of iconic people

#1 Post by only looking »

David Caradine recenltly died and today both Farah Fawcet and Michael Jackson have both died. So many memories.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, two icons lost in the same day! :shock:

RIP F.F. and M.J.!

I'll never forget the first time I heard The Jackson Five's "ABC", or M.J.'s Off the Wall album. Timeless!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Macabre thought, but the sad part is that after I heard about Farrah Fawcett, I wondered who the third was going to be.

(To go along with the theory that all famous passings come in threes. Ed McMahon, Farrah, and Michael Jackson.

RIP, all

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Frodoleader »

First, Farrah Fawcett. Yes, I also had a Farrah poster in my room as a teen age boy. I think I watched every episode of Charlie's Angels that first season, although I was more of a Kate Jackson fan.

Second, Michael Jackson. Regardless of his personal life, his music was great. For me, I always aproached him like I do with Madonna: love the music. The person making the music - not so much. I mean really, who's toes don't start tapping when you hear "Billie Jean"?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Miss Q »

Doc, I was discussing the 'trilogy theory' with my friends wednesday night after Ed McMahon died....

I guessed Farrah, but wow - never figured on MJ.

Im with Frodo, just remember the music was great, revolutionary actually.

Sad, FF death has been eclipsed by MJ
Last edited by Miss Q on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

Ed McMahon past away on the 23rd, two days before Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. David Carradine past away on the 3rd, so I'd say Carradine wouldn't be included in the "three". But anyhow, Ed McMahon is only the person I really cared about in the group. Not to slight the others btw, but there's many "stars" out there, and most people have only a small group that they are actually fond of.

Two Ed McMahon videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-25xPmX7o :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJL0EreRu8&feature=fvst

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

It should really come as no surprise that Michael Jackson has met with a tragic and bizarre end. And yet, I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that "Michael Jackson" is no longer with us. Regardless of his music or personal life, he was one of those pop culture icons that seemed to always be looming somewhere in the public's consciousness.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

I would still place Off The Wall in my all time top ten list of Albums. An incredible piece of work that in my humble opinion, shadows everything that came later. Don't get me wrong, Thriller and some of the others are good, but I think the timing of them coming out in the height of MTV and Videos propelled the sale of those Albums......I'm saddened that he left us so soon, but am thinking the Supermarket rags that I have to stare at at the grocery store line will now have bizzare stories of his life, death, and the battle over his Estate, finally eclipsing the Jon & Kate bologna......

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#9 Post by N1095A »

Wow, Billy Mays too. That one's a suprise.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

The greatest pitchman there ever was! RIP Billy Mays!
Steve wrote:I would still place Off The Wall in my all time top ten list of Albums. An incredible piece of work that in my humble opinion, shadows everything that came later. Don't get me wrong, Thriller and some of the others are good, but I think the timing of them coming out in the height of MTV and Videos propelled the sale of those Albums......
It's a pretty amazing run he had; all the Jackson 5 stuff, then Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous. It all went downhill after Dangerous, both professionally and in his private life, but from 1968 to 1992, M.J. had a career like no other!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

All will be missed. Each was a pioneer of sorts in their own field. I pray for the families as they process thier loss.

As far as MJ goes, it is unfortunate that his private struggles with reality, fame, family dysfunction, and an obvious lack of satisfaction with himself will possibly overshadow the greatness he displayed in the studio, on the screen, and on stage. But, it seems like all of the great ones seem to be very close to obsessive and/or 'madness' compulsions.

I just hope the question of whether drugs were recklessly supplied by doctors, managers, promoters... will be answered and the guilty (if any) will be dealt with.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#12 Post by N1095A »

Add Karl Malden to the list. I'm ashamed to say that I thought he was already dead, but then until Don Knotts died, I thought Andy Griffith had already passed too. Malden was 97. God bless him. That may seem like a long, full life, but as Benny Hill put it. "This merry-go-round is nice but you give damn short rides."
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#13 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I saw that about Karl Malden as well. I hadn't seen him in years. 97 is a pretty darn good life!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Frodoleader »

Please...please...please bury Michael Jackson! Lay that poor man to rest...so the rest of us can get on with our lives!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Carmen
MPI

#15 Post by Carmen »

Amen!!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)