Brown, P.I. ?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Brown, P.I. ?

#1 Post by N1095A »

As some of you know I have law enforcement experience, and actually held a Private Investigator license in Pennsylvania, although I never actually worked as a P.I. . 9 months of unemployment has me looking for a new direction as far as careers go, and I'm considering trying to get a P.I. license here in Florida. In Pennsylvania, it was a matter of filling out the application, and paying the fee. Here it's much more involved. There's apprenticeship, bonding, I believe 3000 hours investigative experience. I've contacted two local agencies to try and set up appointments to discuss the process with someone who has actually been through it. There seems to be a market for it here, and I was wondering what you all thought of the idea.
Thanks.
Last edited by N1095A on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#2 Post by Zudobug »

Personally, I wouldn't want to be a PI. Sometimes it can get a bit too risky especially when you've got somebody out for revenge on your tail. Although Magnum was only a TV series it did deal with some of the more dangerous aspects of being a PI.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hey, why not try it?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

I say go for it, Mike. Perhaps you can find a Miss Jones type to expedite the process for you.........

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Frodoleader »

I recall once reading that actual, real-life PI work involves more computers and research, etc. The PI interviewed for that story said his primary weapon was a calculator. Nothing like TV with guns, girls and fast cars.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

WOW the crap you have to go through in Florida to get a P.I. license! The real kicker is that my Pennsylvania license would have gotten me around most of the hoops you have to jump through here,,,, if it hadn't expired in 2008.
Frodoleader, I hear ya' I have 3 friends who are Private Investigators. 2 are ex cops, one is former Army CID. Anyway, in listening to them, before I got my Pennsylvania license. I got a pretty good idea of what the job is all about. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but it isn't anything like TV P.I.s. Not in the least.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I say go for it Mike. If you don't enjoy it you can always say you tried it.