Fore! - Links 2003

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Fore! - Links 2003

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile and I are going to be playing some rounds of computer golf together. We thought we'd extend an open invitation to anyone here who wants to play. I just started playing again after a looooong layoff.

The game we play is called Links 2003. The Links series goes back to 1990. 2003 was the last year it was released for the PC, after which it has been released on console systems only. Don't be fooled by the year, though. Links 2003 is alive and well, with many people who still play it. Thanks to a powerful course designer, new courses are still being released by talented designers. People create custom golfers, objects, apparel, soundscripts, all kinds of neat stuff. I've seen some of the newer sim golf games and I think this one still beats them all!

Anyway, it's a great game; it's fun and relaxing to play. If you don't have the game and you want to give it a try, you can download the game (official) for only $6.99 (download link)! The latest patch (1.07) for the game can be found here.

We are just looking to play some casual, social games, preferably on a Friday or Saturday night. No set schedule or anything, just occasionally getting together to three-putt one hole after another on some breathtaking course (both real ones and fictional ones). The most fun is with four players - 2-on-2 Alt. Ball!

Here are some screens to show you what the game looks like:

If anyone wants to play, just post in here.

Thanks
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

PhatCat
Admiral

#2 Post by PhatCat »

That looks like a lot of fun. My Fridays and Saturdays are usually pretty busy but if you ever are doing it, post it. I'll maybe download the game and try it out.

Do you two have a bunch of the different courses? It looks like you add them one at a time.

BR

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Something makes me think I would suck as bad at that as I do at real golf! Good luck to you guys!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

PhatCat, Fridays and Saturdays are the optimum days for golfmobile. My schedule is a little more flexible, as long as it's after 9PM EST (perferably after 10PM).

IKWYT, Links 2003 is a thousand times easier than real golf, I can tell you that! And it's a lot less wear-n-tear on the knees. ;)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I guess the good thing is you can still drink beer and smoke cigars without the greens fees!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

IKWYT, indeed! A lifetime membership for only $7 bucks! :)
PhatCat wrote:Do you two have a bunch of the different courses? It looks like you add them one at a time.
Yes, you have to download each one and install it. Since there are over 1,000 courses, we had to narrow down the list. This is the list we have so far, all free*, top-notch courses (i.e. the best-of-the-best):

Augusta 2009
Banyan Bay
Bethpage Black
Black Rose Valley
Craters Edge
Crystal Pines
Crandon Park
Dark Woods
Devil’s Island 2008
Dullatur Antonine
Eagle Crest Forest Preserve
Glen Abbey
Kansas National
Kapa’a Golf Resort & Spa
Kapalua Plantation 2009
Lakeside Retreat
Meresbrook Forest
Piazza Metallica
Pebble Beach 2004
Punahale
Quidnet Golf Club
Roganstown Golf & Country Club
San Simeon
Selto Beach Club
Te lhi O Te Rangi
The Creek @ Dubai
The Links at Ballylecum Castle
The Pinnacle
The Players 18
Tish Island
TPC @ Sawgrass
Viste Verde Resort
Wagga Wagga C.C.
Wellington Point
Wyntoon Club

* Some of the good courses are only available at a course designer site, which costs money to join. We left those courses off the list.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

Sounds like fun, but I'm so NOT a gamer! Enjoy yourselves! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Played "Augusta 2009" the other night. What a course! Incredible tough, incredibly beautiful! Hitting fairways off your drives is very tricky. Found myself in situations like this quite often....

:o

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I may have to give this a shot one night. It looks like it would be a blast. I'm sure the wife would give me grief though, and the girls would probably want to play as well.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile and I played the front 9 of Devil's Island the other night. It really was a lot of fun, despite the fact that we both shot a +13! D.I. is one of the tougher courses, though - long holes, blind tee shots, tall grass and water everywhere, greens that will make your eyes water...

PhatCat and IKWYT.... you know you guys want to play. ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

The U.S. Open is not that far away. It's back at the monster known as Bethpage Black (Long Island) this year!

Someone has been re-creating this course for Links 2003 (another free course). It looks absolutely stunning...