The Football (aka "Soccer") Thread

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Football (aka "Soccer") Thread

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anybody here a soccer/football fan?

I've always been a "fringe" fan (mainly just World Cup action), but ever since my cable company added The Fox Soccer Channel a few months ago I've become a total soccer fanatic! Every night I simply must watch The Fox Soccer Report to get caught up on all the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Champions League, FA Cup (etc.) action!

The other day, in the wee hours of the night, I watched the Japan-Australia WC qualifying match. That had to be the most exciting 0-0 match I've ever seen! Japan totally dominated the match, but couldn't break through the stout Aussie defense. The Japanese crowd was singing a chant throughout the ENTIRE match. Wild.

The Inter Milan-AC Milan match the other day was pretty intense, too. Those teams are just so much fun to watch! So many great players - Ibrahimović, Stanković, Adriano, Pato, Pirlo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Beckham. Pato (at 19) is just sick!

I pull for Fulham in the Premier League, mainly because of the number of American players they've used over the years (and I'm a big Clint Dempsey fan).

Can't wait for the World Cup in 2010!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#2 Post by Italian Ice »

I'm a soccer fan, just not as much as you are. I do follow the Serie A and EPL leagues once in awhile as my dad gets those stations. World Cup of course. There's a big street in Vancouver called Commercial Drive. After Italy won in 2006 that street became packed with thousands of people after that who celebrated into the hours of the night.

I watched the game, went to the Drive with some friends after, then drove across town to go to a wedding (on a Sunday!), which ended early so I changed out of my good clothes back into summer clothes and went back to the Drive. Driving across town wasn't fun on that day, even if I was looking for Old Dusseldorf, but it was a fun day.

Inter Milan, with all those players is crazy I agree. But even big teams fall sometimes.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sorry James. I am a fan of the football with an egg shaped ball.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#4 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I love soccer/football! It's my favourite sport (besides bball). I love watching La Liga and Serie A. Barcelona and AC Milan for life...

World Cup 2010: Cant Wait...
Last edited by Tom_Magnum on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Did you watch the Inter-AC Milan game? I can't believe the ref didn't see that hand ball on Adriano!

It looks like Barcelona and Inter are going to take the titles this year.

Tom_Magnum

#6 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Yea, it should've been 1-1, but they let it go...Watched it on GolTV yesterday. No biggie, but I'm pissed :evil:

Tom_Magnum

#7 Post by Tom_Magnum »

James you're right....Barca and Inter could win the league, but I aint betting on it! :D

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

My best friend got to go to Germany in his teens to play Soccer. He's 49 now, and still talks about how beautiful the country is, and what good times he had. Always made me want to go there some day.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Tom_Magnum

#9 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Ya, but not as beautiful as Brazil!!!! (actually, Germany is beautiful too).

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#10 Post by Autumn Warrior »

I like soccer almost as much as MPI. There have been several good matches this month. I enjoyed seeing the USA beat Mexico again. The Brazil v. Italy friendly was very entertaining. I don’t usually watch Serie A, but I did watch Inter v. AC Milan. Ronaldinho is fun to watch.
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

My best friend got to go to Germany in his teens to play Soccer. He's 49 now, and still talks about how beautiful the country is, and what good times he had. Always made me want to go there some day
Hey!! Come over any time :D
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Tom_Magnum

#12 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Wow, seems a lot of people like soccer more than I thought.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Congrats to Barcelona on winning the rare "treble" (La Liga, Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League)!

Congrats to Manchester United for winning the Premier League for the third year in a row!

Congrats to Inter Milan for winning Serie A for the fourth year in a row!

Congrats to either Bordeaux or Marseille (more than likely Bordeaux) for ending Lyon's seven-year Ligue 1 winning streak!

and Congrats to Wolfsburg for winning their first ever Bundesliga title!

Tom_Magnum

#15 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Thanks James for what I was going to say! ESPECIALLY BARCELONA!!!(I LOVE THEM)! :D