When the passage of time does not treat one so well…

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Great thread - naturally I'll defend 'The A-Team' (ahem) hehe. I think you have to buy into it as being a spoof, stupid but likable comic book action. Saying that, I'll be the first to admit that the last couple of seasons did it no favours. But I think the first season or so holds up really well.

'Knight Rider' - well, I'm a big KR fan as well, but technology-wise time hasn't been kind. Some of KITT's on-screen graphics and such looked dated even for the time, especially in the early episodes. And the fourth, final season, with the stupid 'Super Pursuit Mode', was pretty bad. But some of the episodes from the first three seasons - especially involving KARR or Goliath - are still really good.
The new series (now cancelled) hasn't been shown here on any main channel, but a friend showed me a couple of episodes, and it was horrible - no charm, and the new KITT sounded decidedly evil!

I also (blimey, how many do I like) love 'The Dukes of Hazzard', but I think this is very much a nostalgia thing - I'll be the first to admit that 75% of the episodes are very samey, and maybe not that good. TDOH always felt like it could be great but always limited itelf. But I think it had a certain charm, a certain sparkle that is lacking in so many of today's shows. But it's miles better than the terrible 2005 version - one of the worst films in years IMO.

'Airwolf' ... that's a mixed bag. I like it mostly (and would count myself a fan!), but the episodes are very hit-and-miss. Some outstanding ones and some very weak ones. I think the first season is very ahead of it's time, with mysterious talk of "the opposition" and such-like, but the network execs didn't like it and forced Bellisario to make changes. By the third season he had enough and left - and the quality dropped as a result. But anything is better than the Canadian-produced fourth season, with wooden acting and all Airwolf flight shots simply ripped from the original episodes!

Time certainly hasn't been kind to (the original) 'Battlestar: Galactica' or 'Buck Rogers' (though in the latter, at least there's Erin 'J. "Digger" Doyle' to enjoy!!
Things like 'Quantum Leap' mostly hold up a little better (again thanks to Bellisario's touch), but in fairness, they're a few years newer than some of these other examples, so haven't dated as much yet (even though QL was set in a different time every week -- oh well, you get what I mean!).

Oh, and 'Diff'rent Strokes'. When I was a kid I thought it was the funniest show on the planet. Now it's plain embarrasing. And the fact that the child stars went on to such troubled lives afterwards makes it almost creepy to watch now.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!