Murder, She Wrote - Magnum on Ice

Rate, review & discuss the Simon & Simon and Murder, She Wrote crossover episodes

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
2%
9.5 (One of the Best)
7%
9.0 (Excellent)
7%
8.5 (Very Good)
16%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
20%
7.5 (Decent)
5%
7.0 (Average at Best)
9%
6.5 (Not So Good)
14%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
9%
5.0 (Just Awful)
11%

Total votes: 44

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Murder, She Wrote - Magnum on Ice

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Magnum on Ice, the Murder, She Wrote crossover episode with Novel Connection (7.9). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/23/1986
Magnum has been arrested for murder and it's up to super sleuth Jessica Fletcher to prove his innocence and find the real killer before it's too late.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Tom
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My first

#2 Post by Tom »

If this is the episode where Magnum is held in jail and Jessica has to find out who shot the man the police thougth Magnum did, then I love it!.

I like "murder, she wrote a lot". In fact, I saw this episode with Magnum in it and I hadn't seen a whole episode of Magnum before. It is this very episode of "murder, she wrote" that got me searching for episodes of Magnum Pi. I taped that show and watched it two times the same day. Just to see more of the Sellecks character. I was so confidend that I was going to like Magnum Pi that I bought all the three first seaons on dvd at a time. I like the character Tom Selleck was playing and wanted to see more of him. It was a great joy to watch the first episode of Magnum for the first time. Being born in '83 I didn't had the chance to see it beign aired on televison. Now with those episodes on dvd, I could watch them in order. It felt like I knew Magnum all my life. What a great show.
I'm glad I turned my tv on that day and "Murder, she wrote" came on.

I've just finished season 5 which came out last week here in the Netherlands. Great season and I'm sure season six will also be a wonderful experience to watch.

Tom.

ps: are there more episodes where Magnum visits Jessica?
Rating of this episode to me is a 10 since it brought me to Magnum Pi.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by grapeshot »

The only other time these two characters appear in the same show is in an episode of Magnum where Jessica visits Robin Masters' estate. Sorry to have to tell you that.

Still, I'm happy that you discovered Magnum PI because of the cross-over episode. And just think, you still have season 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 to look forward to!

Tom
Lieutenant Junior Grade

magnum-murder

#4 Post by Tom »

Hi grapeshot,

Glad to hear that there is another meeting of these two characters. Must say I like the combination.
I look forward to see season 6, 7 and 8. I must say I feel a bit privalidged seeing these episodes for the first time. Wonderful experience :D

Tom.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by eegorr »

The Magnum episode that grapeshot is referring to is called Novel Connection. It is actually the first part of the same story you saw on Murder, She Wrote called Magnum on Ice. The two episodes originally aired within a week of each other in November of 1986 and were intended to be watched one after the other. It is amazing how well they play alone, though.

Funny, I am just the opposite of you. I have seen all of the Magnum episodes, many of them when they first aired and all of them several times in syndication, but I had never seen Magnum on Ice until a few days ago!

And I don't have any of the Magnum DVDs... yet!

FalcOS
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by FalcOS »

Hello!

On this website you can find the information:

"... there are two different versions of the Magnum episode -- the original broadcast version, which ties in neatly with the Murder, She Wrote episode, and the syndication version, which wraps up events in one episode."

Was the syndication version official aired or was it done private
by someone?
Was it official released?

Thanks
Falc

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

This one makes a pretty seamless transition from the "Magnum portion" of the story, and I really like the way Jessica's theme music reflects the Hawaiian setting. But I'm a little surprised that Magnum and Jessica didn't really team up that much over the course of these episodes. I guess I was expecting them to draw on Magnum's admiration of Miss Marple, and somehow work that into the plot.

It's interesting that Higgins can do nothing about Magnum's $100,000 bail. The experience obviously taught him not to rely too heavily on Mr. Masters' approval, as he has no qualms about personally borrowing $300,000 just two episodes later.

Magnum also tells Jessica if she agrees not to turn pro, he won't go out and buy a typewriter. Of course, Magnum reneges on this deal just five episodes later in Murder By Night.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

An enjoyable episode and a nice continuation from "Part 1". I've always been sort of a "closet" Murder, She Wrote fan. What more can you say about Angela Lansbury. A true living legend!

I love how they used the historic Royal Hawaiian Hotel for many of the scenes. "The Pink Palace of the Pacific" is just a glorious piece of architecture.

But surely the highlight of this episode, for me anyway, is the scrap Higgins gets into with Victor Salyer! Higgins in a one-on-one fight, and he holds his own!

The "Karate Chop of Doom"!

Higgins must have learned this devastating maneuver from Barbara Terranova, way back in the day. ;)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

The "Karate Chop of Doom"!

I love how my unconventional name for it caught on!

I'd change my beloved TC avatar if this one was available!

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah Doc, perfect name for it!

Higgins: Make another move at your own peril, Salyer. Hi-Ya!
(unleash "Karate Chop of Doom"!)

LOL!
Doc Ibold wrote:I'd change my beloved TC avatar if this one was available!
Done!

:)

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

ps: are there more episodes where Magnum visits Jessica?
It would have been funny to watch Magnum driving his Ferrari at Angela's small fishing village "Cabot Cove" ! :wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum's too smart to go anywhere near Cabots Cove. That place has the highest per capita murder rate in the history of mankind! Death seems to follow Jessica wherever she goes. Coincidence? :)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by lutherhgillis »

I did not love the MSW version of MPI. The novelist/crime solver persona of MSW was never believable in the least to me. I do agree that Angela Landsbury was a great acress however.

I found the script very cheesy and the lady characters were somewhat irritating and grating. I compare them to Cassie Yates, almost.

One thing stood out to me , however. The footage of the show was much clearer and more "professional" than the way the Magnum shows were filmed. The MPI shows had more of a rough-cut look to them. I think MSW must have been a high-budget show as compared to MPI.

For the life of me, I do not see why MSW was on the air for as long as it was. Even with Magnum and Higgins in this episode, it was still a snoozer.

They should have used Luther to help out ...

wilko
Captain

#14 Post by wilko »

What would have been really fun to watch is an episode with Jessica Fletcher and Luther Gillis teaming up :!:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

For those of you who don't have Season 7 on DVD, the Hallmark channel is showing "Magnum On Ice" tonight (1/13/2008) at 7:00 p.m., E.S.T.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)