Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

Rate, review & discuss the Simon & Simon and Murder, She Wrote crossover episodes

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
6%
9.5 (One of the Best)
6%
9.0 (Excellent)
21%
8.5 (Very Good)
15%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
6%
7.0 (Average at Best)
9%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 47

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Little Garwood »

Found a flub in this. When Catherine moves the satchel across the table, her finger nails are painted are orange but the insert shot shows her nails as pink.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

#32 Post by Little Garwood »

Here are some promotional photos from Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend that feature Jameson Parker (A.J. Simon) and Morgan Fairchild (Catherine Hailey). The blurb on the B&W mentions the crossover with Magnum, P.I.:

Last edited by Little Garwood on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Little Garwood »

Finally found a decent-sized promotional photo of both Simon brothers along with Catherine Hailey from Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend:

Last edited by Little Garwood on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

These photos are great Garwood! Is the ad from a magazine? Do you know which one?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:These photos are great Garwood! Is the ad from a magazine? Do you know which one?
They're CBS promotional photos. They turn up regularly on eBay and at decent prices. Seeing them makes me wonder if every episode of Magnum, Simon & Simon, and shows of the '70s-'80s in general had promo shoots like that. Maybe it just depended on the guest star. It may be hard to imagine it now, but Morgan Fairchild was quite popular circa 1982. I'd also imagine that the likes of Angela Lansbury and Frank Sinatra appearing on MPI led to several photo ops.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I'd also imagine that the likes of Angela Lansbury and Frank Sinatra appearing on MPI led to several photo ops.
If they could get ol' blue eyes to agree to it!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by KingKC »

WOW...I just logged onto this thread for the first time. Those are great photos!!!!!!!!

KingKC

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Little Garwood »

While reading some of the earliest posts in this thread (circa 2007), I was surprised at how many here hadn't seen a Simon & Simon episode since the show ended its original run. I thought that I was the only one who had gotten away from the stuff of my early years!

What makes the early posts all the more surprising is that Simon & Simon aired five days a week on the A&E channel from 1999-2003. That's a long run in syndication and relatively recently (or maybe not). I remember S&S being on around that time, but I had gotten away from childhood interests for quite a number of years, even by then. Glad I snapped out of that decades-long funk and now appreciate both Simon & Simon and Magnum all over again.

~Tom Selleck

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Kevster »

I recently did a search for this crossover episode online with no success. I've seen every MPI episode multiple times. I seemed to remember the MSW x-over when I recently watched it online, but I've never seen this that I can remember.

Anybody know of an online source for this without buying the series? I'm not against that generally, but if I buy the series my studies might suffer this fall... :)

If not, maybe I'll ask Santa... ;-)
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by K Hale »

I don't think it's online anywhere. It is on the season 3 DVD set.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaximRecoil »

I didn't care much for this episode, and I didn't care much for Simon & Simon when I was a kid during its original run. I watched a lot of the episodes back then, because my father and older brother liked the show, and I figured that watching it was better than going to bed directly after MPI, but I can't remember any details from any of them; not even a single scene from all those episodes I watched stuck in my memory. On the other hand, I can still vividly remember plenty of details/scenes from watching MPI during its original run.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by K Hale »

K Hale wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:
K Hale wrote:It's not that he was hoarse, it's something about the lines he was given. They were a little too stereotyped, just not quite right in some way. As if written by someone who knew the character, but didn't know him well and hadn't written for him before.
Not to put you on the spot, but the next time you watch it--if that time should ever come--I'd be interested in knowing which lines those would be.
My first impression is to say "All of them," haha. I'll try, but can't guarantee I will be able to put my finger on what sounds off to me.
I figured this out with the help of a word Ivan posted in one of his reboot reviews: checklist. This episode feels to me like the S&S writers were handed a checklist of Higgins characterization items and told to hit them all. He has perhaps less than 10 minutes of screen time and it's just check, check, check. Here's Higgins being gruff. Here's Higgins knowing an obscure fact. Here's Higgins being concerned about the lads getting their steak. Here's Higgins telling war stories taking place in exotic locales. Here are the other people rolling their eyes at every war story as if they know he tells a lot of war stories even though they have basically just met him. It's just too obvious and over the top for me. Like, yes, we know it's Higgins, we get it!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Little Garwood »

K Hale wrote:This episode feels to me like the S&S writers were handed a checklist of Higgins characterization items and told to hit them all. He has perhaps less than 10 minutes of screen time and it's just check, check, check. Here's Higgins being gruff. Here's Higgins knowing an obscure fact. Here's Higgins being concerned about the lads getting their steak. Here's Higgins telling war stories taking place in exotic locales. Here are the other people rolling their eyes at every war story as if they know he tells a lot of war stories even though they have basically just met him. It's just too obvious and over the top for me. Like, yes, we know it's Higgins, we get it!
So then it's the structure or perhaps "script template" that felt contrived to you rather than the dialogue itself. I appreciate the reply; sorry for not getting back to you sooner!

~Tom Selleck

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by K Hale »

Little Garwood wrote:
K Hale wrote:This episode feels to me like the S&S writers were handed a checklist of Higgins characterization items and told to hit them all. He has perhaps less than 10 minutes of screen time and it's just check, check, check. Here's Higgins being gruff. Here's Higgins knowing an obscure fact. Here's Higgins being concerned about the lads getting their steak. Here's Higgins telling war stories taking place in exotic locales. Here are the other people rolling their eyes at every war story as if they know he tells a lot of war stories even though they have basically just met him. It's just too obvious and over the top for me. Like, yes, we know it's Higgins, we get it!
So then it's the structure or perhaps "script template" that felt contrived to you rather than the dialogue itself. I appreciate the reply; sorry for not getting back to you sooner!
Yes, it was like a template. No one thing sounded wrong, it was all just so contrived and superficial. Poor writing.

Hate to say it but even though I liked this crossover better than the MSW one, the MSW writers wrote the MPI characters better.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by T.Q. »

Just watched this for the first time today.

Was an okay episode.

Was weird hearing the Simon & Simon music at the end in a Magnum setting. :D

I uploaded it. 8)

*SPOILER ALERT*

youtu.be/vAtdZ3oCC_Y
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.