Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

Rate, review & discuss the Simon & Simon and Murder, She Wrote crossover episodes

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
6%
9.5 (One of the Best)
6%
9.0 (Excellent)
21%
8.5 (Very Good)
15%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
6%
7.0 (Average at Best)
9%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 47

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#21 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Hey all you S&S fans out there, Season 2 will be coming out next Tuesday! (Feb. 10, 2009). Universal gave Shout! Factory the rights to put the series on DVD and they will now be releasing the rest of the seasons quickly.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's great news! It's about time! Thanks for the "heads up" TM.

8)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#23 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Hey, no problem James! :)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

As I’ve just done ‘Ki’i’s Don’t Lie’, I thought I might as well do this episode while I’m at it. It’s my first ever ‘Simon & Simon’ episode, and I like it; once I’ve finished my MPI review project, I think I’ll get the S&S DVDs.

[rating=8.5]

Following on from ‘Magnum, p.i.’s ‘Ki’i’s Don’t Lie’, Rick and A.J., accompanied by Higgins, follow con artist Alex Houston, who tricked Higgins out of $350.000, to South America, where they plain their own con to catch her. A reasonable story…

-----

I am reviewing this episode after seeing it on the ‘Magnum, p.i.’ first season DVD bonus disk (only included on the Region 1 version). Although I think ‘Simon & Simon’ was shown here in the U.K., I don’t think it got a very extensive run, at least not in my ITV region.

This crossover was designed in a bid to save ‘Simon & Simon’, which was sagging in the ratings after it’s first season. The show was moved directly after ‘Magnum, p.i.’ on Thursday nights, and this crossover story was devised to try and pull in MPI viewers.

But for my first S&S episode, I liked it. Rick and A.J. come over as much more likable than they did in MPI’s ‘Ki’i’s Don’t Lie’ (where they felt almost like the villains). Here, Jameson Parker and Gerald McRaney come across as easy going and engaging.

Tom Selleck has two brief cameo appearances as Magnum himself, but the main ‘crossover’ of the story is the inclusion of John Hillerman as Higgins. I’ve always liked the Higgins character, and it was nice to see him in this episode, but I did feel that he was wasted – all he really got to do was a few scenes in a hotel room as the Simon brothers planned their con to lure in Alex Huston.

The story itself is a fair one, and as a first time viewer of the series, I found it easy to get into. There are a couple of plot conveniences (the jailed Simons just happen to be locked up with Henry, and old friend of Rick’s, who is able to get them out and help them on their mission), but for the most part, it is a fun plot.

I find it a bit hard to rate this episode, as I don’t have any other eps from the series to compare it to (as yet). But I like it enough to give it a reasonable 8.5.

Once I have completed my MPI review project, I think I’ll have to invest in the ‘Simon & Simon’ DVDs, as it seems like a fun series, and just the sort of thing that I like.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* When A.J. is driving alongside Alex’s car, trying to convince her to pull over, the white line down the middle of the road suggests that, in these shots, he is not on the wrong side of the road as surrounding shots show.

* The shot of Magnum driving in the Ferrari at the end of the story is stock footage, originating from the first season. Notice he is wearing a navy blue top, but when he gets out of the Ferrari at the Estate, he is wearing a green vest and a cap.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#25 Post by Zudobug »

The Simon & Simon crossover episode is the only episode with Magnum in that I have never watched. I'm British and I don't think Simon & Simon was ever broadcast over here. The fact that the crossover episode wasn't made available on the Magnum PI region 2 boxset probably confirms that as well.

Is there anywhere on the net (maybe Youtube) where I can watch it?

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#26 Post by Higgy_baby »

Watched it recently and the theme came right back to me. I never followed the series, but likely watched a few episodes or at least heard the opening before switching channels. Funny how little tunes can stick in your head forgotten for a quarter century and then be brought right back from something like this.

I enjoyed it. Wish now that I had tuned in on the original run.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MACattack »

They should definetly do a the MPI movie with the original cast. After that, why not a Simon and Simon movie with Gerald McRaney?
I just don't give a damn!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Seaver41 »

I remember there being 2 distinct opening theme songs for S&S.......which came first, the more popular one or the other? I don't think i watched a ton of Simon and Simon as it ran up against NBC's powerful Thursday lineup of Cheers. I know I caught episodes during the summer reruns and more readily remember the later seasons with Tim Reid....now a much more bulked up guy than his Venus Flytrap days on WKRP. Simon and Simon grew on you........was never overly dramatic, but had its' moments.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Seaver41 wrote:I remember there being 2 distinct opening theme songs for S&S.......which came first, the more popular one or the other? I don't think i watched a ton of Simon and Simon as it ran up against NBC's powerful Thursday lineup of Cheers. I know I caught episodes during the summer reruns and more readily remember the later seasons with Tim Reid....now a much more bulked up guy than his Venus Flytrap days on WKRP. Simon and Simon grew on you........was never overly dramatic, but had its' moments.
I loved it. Great show.

The more popular theme (with the slide guitar) replaced the earlier one. Basically, the same sort of thing as Magnum.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#30 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

In France, it's very frustrating because this crossover is not part of Magnum PI DVDs. On the other hand, Simon & Simon was released but only the first season because it had so few success in France for releasing the other seasons ...
I once watched this episode on TV but I failed to register it.
So, imagine my frustration ...

I'm very frustrated with Simon & Simon too. I bought the first season and I like it a lot. I watched it when I was younger but I had forgotten it. One of my favorite TV series with Magnum, Riptide, MacGyver, A Team, Hulk, the fall guy, ...

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Little Garwood »

Found a flub in this. When Catherine moves the satchel across the table, her finger nails are painted are orange but the insert shot shows her nails as pink.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

#32 Post by Little Garwood »

Here are some promotional photos from Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend that feature Jameson Parker (A.J. Simon) and Morgan Fairchild (Catherine Hailey). The blurb on the B&W mentions the crossover with Magnum, P.I.:

Last edited by Little Garwood on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Little Garwood »

Finally found a decent-sized promotional photo of both Simon brothers along with Catherine Hailey from Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend:

Last edited by Little Garwood on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

These photos are great Garwood! Is the ad from a magazine? Do you know which one?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:These photos are great Garwood! Is the ad from a magazine? Do you know which one?
They're CBS promotional photos. They turn up regularly on eBay and at decent prices. Seeing them makes me wonder if every episode of Magnum, Simon & Simon, and shows of the '70s-'80s in general had promo shoots like that. Maybe it just depended on the guest star. It may be hard to imagine it now, but Morgan Fairchild was quite popular circa 1982. I'd also imagine that the likes of Angela Lansbury and Frank Sinatra appearing on MPI led to several photo ops.

~Tom Selleck