7.0 (Average at Best) 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:37 pm 
Lieutenant

KingKC wrote:
This isn't about the crossover episode but last night I saw a 1991 episode of Murder She Wrote with Jameson Parker as a guest star but not as A.J. Simon. Does anyone know if Gerald McRaney ever guest starred on Murder She Wrote???

According to imdb, he was in a 1995 episode called A Quaking in Aspen. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574468/?ref_=nv_sr_1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:12 pm 
Admiral

So from what I remember from this episode, I like how Magnum got the killer in Jessica's book wrong, even if he's pretty sidelined and clearly written by MSW writers and not Magnum writers, but at least it was in character for him. For those wondering, the syndicated version is on the MSW season three DVD set, not the original, which certainly makes this episode make less sense :P

Also, the inclusion of Captain Browning was of course done because Jessica wouldn't have an obstacle in dealing with Tanaka. Of course, after this, we never see Browning again :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:36 am 
Admiral

Random Internet Pics/Screencaps:

This really shows how tall Ange really is. (She's 5'8".) It's not all that noticeable on MSW since she's often with male co-stars. An exception is in "Old Habits Die Hard" when Eileen Brennan first calls her and she stops and turns around.

This amusing gif:

And of course that creepy-ass smile she gives Captain Browning. :shock:

BTW that last photo's from an episode review you can read here. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:25 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Jessica really "owns" Browning, doesn't she? Anytime Lansbury even remotely channels her Manchurian Candidate persona is worth mentioning.

Your blog is a fun one! I'm adding it to my reading list.

As I've mentioned before in this thread, in the Magnum half of this crossover, there are expositionary efforts made to clue in the Murder, She Wrote audience with things like who Rick and T.C. are, as well as Jessica and Higgins having just as much screen time as she and Magnum.

I thought I read somewhere that this crossover was an attempt to boost MPI's ratings. That's kind of sad since it was five seasons before when MPI did the same thing for Simon & Simon. I know that during the resurgence of sitcoms led by The Cosby Show I was displeased that the detective adventure shows that I enjoyed so much in my childhood were being kicked to the curb by sitcoms was something I definitely did not appreciate at the time.

Murder, She Wrote belongs more in the world of Matlock and Diagnosis, Murder more than it does with MPI and Simon & Simon. It's not a criticism, but rather a matter of similarities among programs. I really like Diagnosis, Murder, and MSW is enjoyable.

~Tom Selleck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:25 am 
Admiral

LOL the review/recap blog isn't mine, it's run by a fine gal from Australia. It's a real gem to read though, what with all the guest stars shared between MSW and MPI. MSW and DM were definitely in a similar league, with all the TV and film legends guest-starring. Magnum had that too, but with the main cast skewing a bit younger, you weren't gonna see on that show an episode-long homage to cop shows or sci-fi or Mission: Impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:28 pm 
Fleet Admiral

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
LOL the review/recap blog isn't mine, it's run by a fine gal from Australia. It's a real gem to read though, what with all the guest stars shared between MSW and MPI. MSW and DM were definitely in a similar league, with all the TV and film legends guest-starring. Magnum had that too, but with the main cast skewing a bit younger, you weren't gonna see on that show an episode-long homage to cop shows or sci-fi or Mission: Impossible.

It's not your website? :oops: Then just credit yourself for promoting it with such enthusiasm! :wink:

It was the Mannix crossover episode that really got me to take note of DM, though I haven't seen all that many episodes. You're right about it--and MSW--being a great way to catch up with so many familiar faces (or unfamiliar faces, depending on who their plastic surgeon was).

~Tom Selleck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 pm 
Admiral

Just watched it again....

Jessica Fletcher? What the hell was Higgins thinking? He should have called the Equalizer.

I liked this episode when it aired, and I still kinda do. There's just something about MSW....I don't know if it was the crappy, thrown-together scripts, or the endings where Jessica had to explain who was the culprit and why. Still, it's Magnum and Higgins and that's all that matters.