Eugene Roche

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wilko
Captain

Eugene Roche

#1 Post by wilko »

Again, nobody thought that Eugene deserved a thread?

I've never seen many US private eye types of the 50's but Luther Gillis would have been what I imagined them to be like.

A interesting counter play is that Magnum is the PI version of Higgins and Luther is Magnum. The episodes with Luther Gillis are among my favorites in the entire series.

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#2 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Eugene Harrison Roche, a character actor who was best known for playing the "Ajax man" in TV commercials, died on July 28 of a heart attack. He was 75.

:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLCBs49LavI
(1971)

Eugene was born in Boston at the height of the depression into a family of four brothers and a sister. His father, Robert, a quartermaster in the U.S. Navy, fell in love with a girl named Mary Finnegan and they remained sweethearts for their entire lives.
He was only 15 years old when he began his show business career, providing character voices on WERS Radio for $2 a show. After graduating from high school, Roche served in the U.S. Army during World War II and the Korean War. His father and two older brothers were already serving in World War II.
He attended Emerson College on the GI Bill, and appeared in summer stock shows with Bob Fosse and Henry Fonda.

As an inactive reservist he was recalled into service because of the Korean War and returned to college upon discharge; completed his education; married; and headed for San Francisco with his new bride, a great Dane, and another actor all traveling together in an English Austin automobile with a questionable sunroof. San Francisco marked the beginning of a seminal period for Eugene's development as an actor. From 1953 through 1958 he had the opportunity to perform in classic plays by playwrights such as O'Casey, O'Neill, Brecht, Beckett and Ionesco with the newly formed Actor's Workshop of San Francisco. He also had the distinction of starring in the inaugural production of Separate Tables at the Commedia Theatre in Palo Alto.

Image Image Image

Soon after his arrival in San Francisco he spotted a casting notice in The Chronicle for Equity actors for the newly formed Actor's Workshop. He won the leading role of Robert in The Girl on the Via Flaminia followed by mauy others including the American premiere of Mother Courage [the cook]. The Iceman Cometh ["Hickey"], and the West Coast premiere of Waiting for Godot ["Vladimir"]. This production of Waiting for Godot had the distinction of being the first production ever performed inside San Quentin prison and was chosen by the U.S. State Dept. to represent America at the 1959 Brussels' World's Fair in Belgium.

He then headed to New York and hit the theatre circuit, making his Broadway debut as a bit player in the play, "Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole" in 1961 with Darren McGavin and went on to act in "Mother Courage" with Anne Bancroft in 1963 and "The White House" with Helen Hayes in 1964. In Hollywood, Roche would go on to appear in a myriad of supporting character roles, both dramatic and comedic, that would define his acting career.

Image Image

Roche spent the next four decades working steadily on both coasts. Although he appeared in several movies, including a memorable turn as a POW in the 1971 film, "Slaughterhouse-Five," Roche's talents shined on the small screen. As a series regular on "Soap," "Hart to Hart," "Airwolf," "Webster" and "Perfect Strangers," Roche proved he was equally adept at comedy and drama. He also played recurring roles on "All in the Family," "Magnum P.I.," "Night Court," "Murder, She Wrote" and "Dave's World," and made notable guest appearances on "Maude," "Kojak," "Lou Grant," "Taxi," "Highway to Heaven" and "Star Trek: Voyager."

Roche penned a book of short stories about the people and events that touched his life, and fathered nine children, including three sons who became entertainers. Eamonn and Brogan Roche are actors, and Sean Roche is a writer and producer.

Eugene Roche's advice to the aspiring actor:
"Persevere, and never allow anything or anyone to deter you from your passion! The world will cheer you one day and dismiss you the next so treat fanfare and failure as twins.

As the late James Cagney once said to me on the subject of acting, Don't ever let 'em catch you at it.

Remember - you are a unique being! Honor your magnificence, never retreat from it!

On with the great adventure! See you along the way."
sources :
http://industrycentral.net/content/actors/roche.html
http://www.blogofdeath.com/archives/001109.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Roche

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

He was such a huge part of the MPI experience, I found it hard to believe he was only in 5 episodes. At first I didn't care for Luther, but I've come to love those episodes. The mark of a great actor I guess. "Stuff it Scrungo".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

It really does seem like Luther was a bigger part of the show than five episodes. It was always good to see Luther and Magnum together. Sort of an Old School versus New School approach.
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

I somehow missed this when it was posted back in January. Great write-up on Eugene Jean-Claude! He sure had a long, interesting career. RIP Eugene.

Even though he was only in 5 episodes, he did have a lot of total screen time on the show. He was in almost every scene of the first four Luther episodes. Kwan Hi Lim was in 27 episodes, but I bet Eugene had more total lines than he did.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

I somehow missed the post of his passing as well. The first episode of Magnum,P.I. I ever watched was Luther Gillis, File #521 and I was hooked on the show from that point on. I had misstakenly thought the show was just another Detective/ PI/ Cop show that were so prevalent back in the 70's and 80's and am forever thankfull that the show I decided to watch was so full of humor. Oh how I longed for the Luther episodes and was so dissapointed that he basically did a walk on in Resolutions...........God Speed Eugene, you were one of the best!

N1095A

#7 Post by N1095A »

Just watched the 1972 film Slaughterhouse-Five in wich Eugene Roche played a very likable character who befriended the film's lead in a German prison camp. Very good film right up to the part where the guy was abducted by aliens.

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Zudobug »

I didn't care much for the Luther Gillis character. He was a good foil for Magnum's easy-going style of P.I but I just found him annoying whenever he showed up.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MPS »

I have found that, at least for me, Luther is an accquired taste. The first time I saw him it was "what the..." Now I will pick out the episodes with LHG, just to see hime interact with Magnum.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

MPS wrote:I have found that, at least for me, Luther is an accquired taste. The first time I saw him it was "what the..." Now I will pick out the episodes with LHG, just to see hime interact with Magnum.
I agree. There was a time when I could say I couldn't stand Luther or his episodes, but as MPS says, its an acquired taste. Especially if you take into account WHY he's there. I'll say I prefer him to Jim Bonnick by a long shot.

The A.A.P.I. Luther/Katsumoto scene is killer.

N1095A

#11 Post by N1095A »

I agree. Luther is an aquired taste, and although he made me cringe back when I was a 14 year old kid, I've grown to love the Luther episodes. Then I realized that's the mark of a great actor playing a great character. Luther is supposed to be annoying, yet he has an endearing quality that could only be brought to life by Eugene Roche. He truly is one of my favorite guest characters.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#12 Post by Agatha »

Me, too! I couldn't stand "File #521" but then I warmed to the character in "The Return" and he finally won me over in "File #001". There were some very touching and sensitive scenes between Luther and Higgins. I FINALLY figured out that he just is who he is...like the rest of us...and I was OK with him after that!!

I recognize him in some of those younger pictures so I know I've seen things that he's been in. But character actors...at least the good ones...seem to blend in to a story so I didn't realize that I'd seen him before!

Here's to you, Eugene!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

Re: Eugene Roche

#13 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Hi, all

This afternoon, I was watching the very first episode of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids : The TV Show"
Do you remember the movie ? They made a TV series with many episodes.

The first episode's name is "Honey, We've Been Swallowed by Grandpa"

Here's the story : Wayne, Diane, and Amy are accidentally shrunk to near-microscopic size. Soon after, Grandpa Murdock (Eugene Roche) drops by to pick up his grandson for a fishing trip. Nick feigns illness to avoid going with his grandfather, who then leaves, but not before inadvertently swallowing his mini-relatives—van and all.
(wikipedia)

Well, what a big surprise to watch Eugene Roche in this episode and playing the main role !

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumILWU »

"pickled egg please"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KingKC »

It is amazing how one appearance of a MPI guest star on another show brings back all the memories of MPI. My wife and I were just watching some reruns of All in The Family from 1978 and Eugene Roche was in one. He played a war buddy of Archie in a reunion of war buddies episode.