Sam
Fleet Admiral

Where does the time go?

#1 Post by Sam »

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Where does the time go?

#2 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I thought this was another annoying SPAM thread, promoting penis lengtheners or something, then I recognized Erin Gray.

How sad. It reminds me of "Ma" from Little House on the Prairie doing elderly bath tub ads.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:42 pm I thought this was another annoying SPAM thread, promoting penis lengtheners or something, then I recognized Erin Gray.
I can completely understand that, though your comment made me chuckle.
How sad. It reminds me of "Ma" from Little House on the Prairie doing elderly bath tub ads.
Sad in a way, but all things considered she looks good. When she's not in the frame and is just speaking it's Buck Rogers Erin Grey all over again.

I haven't checked, is she still active on TV at all? I know about 10 years ago she was doing the convention circuit and doing signings to support a charity she was involved with ...
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ConchRepublican wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:42 am Sad in a way, but all things considered she looks good.
It's not just her appearance that was sad. She probably looks fine for her age (though definitely not as good as when young). It's the fact that she's selling herself for an "old person product" - even worse, for a pharmaceutical company.

But I suppose most actors sell themselves in commercials. Tom Selleck was in a horrible "reverse mortgage" ad, convincing old people to get into debt they can't repay. I think that was even more shameful a sellout. I really lost respect for him there.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:42 pm I thought this was another annoying SPAM thread, promoting penis lengtheners or something, then I recognized Erin Gray.

Translation: Mad Kudu Buck was disappointed it wasn't a penis lengthening ad. :P

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:44 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:42 am Sad in a way, but all things considered she looks good.
It's not just her appearance that was sad. She probably looks fine for her age (though definitely not as good as when young). It's the fact that she's selling herself for an "old person product" - even worse, for a pharmaceutical company.

But I suppose most actors sell themselves in commercials. Tom Selleck was in a horrible "reverse mortgage" ad, convincing old people to get into debt they can't repay. I think that was even more shameful a sellout. I really lost respect for him there.
Eh, I can't blame her for it. Not sure what acting options she has available, looks like only a few TV movies the last couple of years and a paycheck is a paycheck.

I also don't have a problem with Tom doing the reverse mortgage thing. I don't know why he has to, I'd think he's in a pretty good financial position, but I don't think it's the scam some people think it is. I know my accountant thought it could be helpful for someone in my family who are older and whose only asset of value is their home. It's not for everybody, but I can see it being helpful to some, helping them stay in their home instead of selling it to survive.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:35 pm
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Eh, I can't blame her for it. Not sure what acting options she has available, looks like only a few TV movies the last couple of years and a paycheck is a paycheck.

I also don't have a problem with Tom doing the reverse mortgage thing. I don't know why he has to, I'd think he's in a pretty good financial position, but I don't think it's the scam some people think it is. I know my accountant thought it could be helpful for someone in my family who are older and whose only asset of value is their home. It's not for everybody, but I can see it being helpful to some, helping them stay in their home instead of selling it to survive.
It’s not been one ad for reverse mortgages. There are several, and I see them all the time! Also, his voice sounds very different now than even 10 years ago, I think. It kind of distracts me, if I’m honest.

The problem isn’t the mortgage concept itself, drawing on home equity to have liquid assets. I know of at least two former colleagues who did just that and in both cases, it benefited them. One has since passed and the other is living with his children now. I talked to him recently about it. I actually was curious and he explained it to me. He told me about the other one. When their homes were ultimately sold, the mortgage was paid off and there were remaining assets. The heirs ended up with much less inheritance, that’s for sure, but it wasn’t theirs to decide.

Problems seem to arise when lenders push these instruments when they might be much less beneficial. I read a story in the paper recently about an older man with a disability, who got a reverse mortgage somehow, even though he still had several years to pay on his current mortgage! Yes, he had equity, but if he couldn’t pay his bills, how would that ever work for more than a short time. It was simply delaying the inevitable and losing thousands in the cost of the loan on top of that. He never should have been presented with that type of reverse mortgage. He lost the home.