Gillian Dobb

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sam wrote:Conch...I found this at Tributes.com.

Gillian D. Dobb

1929 - 2001

Gillian was born on May 8, 1929 and passed away on Saturday, March 31, 2001.

Gillian was last known to be living in Lancaster, New York.

Lancaster is within 50 miles of Hamilton.

Thanks Sam!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by AmandaByNight »

Wow, this is the most info I have evern seen on the criminally underrated Gillian Dobb!

I have always really liked and been fascinated by the character of Agatha. She's so funny and SO British and very sweet and odd all at the same time. I loved the way she loved Higgins and he couldn't quite get into the groove with her. It was fun, if bittersweet.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sam »

Hi Amanda,welcome to the forum.In case you haven't seen Rick's blog,here is more info on Gillian.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/200 ... m-set.html

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by AmandaByNight »

Sam wrote:Hi Amanda,welcome to the forum.In case you haven't seen Rick's blog,here is more info on Gillian.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/200 ... m-set.html
Wow, that was wonderful, THANK YOU!

She does seem a bit like an enigma, but now there's some pieces to the story.

I'm still very pleased to see someone as un-Hollywood as her end up as a intregal part on such an incredible show. She really added to it too!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#15 Post by Agatha »

A GREAT topic! I, too, have tried to find information about Gillian Dobb and haven't come up with any more that all of you have. Really good to have Rick Romer's information. I wonder...as I often do...what Tom Selleck would have to say about Gillian Dobb.

You know that guy...kind of ascerbic...has a show where he interviews actors...and then the folks in the audience ask questions...it's supposed to be all about acting and I think the audience are young actor/director/producer wanna-be people. Do you know which program I'm talking about? Am I making any sense? ANYWAY...the host seems to go into a lot of detail about his guest's acting life and actually gives the guest a chance to talk. I've always wished he'd have Tom Selleck on his show.

But, of course, then I'd have to BE there to ask the questions that I want to learn about. Oh, well.

I agree, IKnowWhatYou'reThinking, that Agatha always liked Thomas...in fact, I detected a particular gleam in her eye during the episode when Higgins "went Thomas" and Thomas became the responsible one for a while. Hmmmm. I can't remember the name of that one. And I think that he liked her as well. Some of that charming respect that Thomas had for people was clear in his relationship with Agatha. Many times when Higgins would be busy with one of his entourages of older women, Thomas would say something like "Hi, ladies. Hi, Agatha." Always singling her out as special. Always very respectful. Even more than Higgins sometimes like in Photo Play where Thomas was the one who visited her in the hospital while Higgins was busy with his SNOOKER tournament.

Interesting. Veeeery interesting!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Northern_Union
Lieutenant Commander

#16 Post by Northern_Union »

Agatha wrote: You know that guy...kind of ascerbic...has a show where he interviews actors...and then the folks in the audience ask questions...it's supposed to be all about acting and I think the audience are young actor/director/producer wanna-be people. Do you know which program I'm talking about? Am I making any sense?
That programs called "an interview with" isn't it?

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#17 Post by Agatha »

That sounds right, Northern_Union. I keep wanting to say "Lynch" - ??? Is his last name Lynch? I can SEE him in my mind but can't pull his name out...or the name of the show!

:(

Northern_Union
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Northern_Union »

Not sure on the American varient but the English version used to be hosted by Melvyn Bragg.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#19 Post by Agatha »

I've got it! It's James Lipton (well, I got the L right...) and the show is Inside the Actors Studio. I just think that a whole hour of Tom Selleck...with some serious and intelligent questions...would be WONDERFUL!! Of course, I'd want him to ask the questions that I want answers to!!

Thanks for helping me jog my foggy memory, Northern_Union!!

:)

Northern_Union
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by Northern_Union »

My pleasure :D

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by robspace54 »

Rick Romer (set decorator) has three postings in his blog on Gillian Dobb (aka Agatha Chumley). Look at the link posted above and you'll find them (look on the right side of the web page).

I am sad to read that she would leave the studio, walk to the corner and wait for the bus to go home. Hardly what I would have expected although GD was an 'extra.' I consider Agatha an integral part of the pantheon, although she was only in 29 episodes as Agatha, plus another 3 as other characters.

I imagine her getting home, where ever that was, fixing dinner, putting her feet up, studying her pages for the next days' shoot, then off for a bath and bed - then up to get an early call, if needed. :cry: Then waiting for the bus...

I feel that Gillian in person would be as gracious as her character. :D I kind of miss her...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: Gillian Dobb

#22 Post by MagnumILWU »

Just watching her first appearance on Magnum. It's too bad there is such little info on her. Who knows if she had family, and who's around to remember her! But with this Forum, and all the Magnum, PI fans, she will be remembered, and missed always!
"pickled egg please"

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#23 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Unsure if this info is new or not but I found this excerpt from the 'The Hour' Newspaper - Norwalk, CT USA, June 7 1984

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=vP ... %2C1096485

I also found out that she lived in Ewa Beach, HI while filming for Magnum until she moved to Lancaster, NY
Last edited by ThomasMagnum on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for the article link TM. I hadn't seen that before.

"...juggling a job as a legal secretary by day and sometimes acting at night, mostly at the Honolulu Community Theater and the Hawaii Performing Arts Company."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Sam »

Thanks TM...more background on Miss Dobbs from the Boca Raton news dated Sept 12th 1985.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 68,4450171